The Trump Shutdown

8 minutes ago, westside said:

I would love to see all these crying liberals move to the border of Mexico. Lol, they could invite the illegals in for tea and biscuits. Have them stay with then a month or two.

Be careful what You wish for, You may actually get it...

...An even bigger Swamp.  This time smack dab in the middle of the desert!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you didn’t watch the news, would you know that the government was shut down?

BYRON YORK: Trump plan would improve current border situation.

The department has already announced where the barriers would go. There would be five miles in the San Diego Sector, 14 miles in the El Centro Sector, 27 miles in the Yuma Sector, nine miles in the El Paso Sector, 55 miles in the Laredo Sector in Texas, and 104 miles in the Rio Grande Valley Sector in Texas.

In all, counting work that is done, being done, and planned, the administration would build 330 miles of new barrier, 150 in areas with no barrier today.

All of it is a project that, in a less crazy time, might be the subject of bipartisan approval. Indeed, as the White House is fond of pointing out, bipartisan majorities in Congress voted in favor of an extensive border barrier back in 2006.

Politics aside, the bottom line is that even the relatively short lengths of barrier the Trump administration is building will do good. Just look at some of the fencing made from rusted steel helicopter landing mats from the Vietnam era. The administration is replacing it with imposing barriers that will discourage illegal crossings. That’s a net plus.

And there is no doubt such barriers work. In San Diego, for example, a barrier has made a tremendous difference. “In the 1980s, migrants overran the border and the Border Patrol,” the San Diego Union-Tribune reported in 2017. “Thousands gathered nightly on a small slice of the border … there, men, women, and children waited for nightfall before making their passage.” In 1986, agents apprehended an astonishing 629,656 illegal immigrants in the San Diego area.

When U.S. officials constructed one barrier, and then another, that number fell dramatically; by 2015, apprehensions fell below 30,000.

Now, the flow of migrants presents a new and different problem. While smaller than several years ago, it is largely made up of families and unaccompanied children who have no valid claim to asylum but who cannot, by U.S. law, be returned to their home countries. As long as those migrants can freely cross the border, they can stay in the United States — a situation that will attract more and more illegal immigration.

The president’s proposal, which in addition to a barrier contains provisions for more immigration judges, more Border Patrol agents, more detention beds, more medical resources, and more technology, would improve the situation. If the political debate were not being fought at such an extreme pitch, that might be obvious to all.

The main thing is, the Dems don’t want Trump to have a win on his signature policy, because they figure that will cement his re-election.

Everything else is noise.

57 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

@Gary M : Obama appreciates your "like." 

The point was that this is a bad idea no matter who is president. 

Illustrating one of the main issues facing the country: far too many people are okay with it when it's their party.

Anyone who dreads Trump's use of a National Emergency declaration should likewise be against DACA, on the same procedural grounds, else they're a raging hypocrite.

10 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

The very leftists on this site during the Obamacare debate, howling that the entire bill was worth if it it only saved one child, today look at the border wall debate and say "Okay, so big deal, a few cops get killed by illegal aliens. Is that really worth a wall???"

Interestingly, they're simply too stupid to understand their own hypocrisy.

The cops weren't children.  THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Illustrating one of the main issues facing the country: far too many people are okay with it when it's their party.

Anyone who dreads Trump's use of a National Emergency declaration should likewise be against DACA, on the same procedural grounds, else they're a raging hypocrite.

I'm not for it, just want to remind them not to wet their onesie when Trump does it

4 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Dude, I ****ing link the fact checking that back me up. Thank you for, once again, proving that you just refuse unbiased facts. All you do is cover your ears and chant about how wrong I am.

1) Your facts didn't address the subject at hand, it's as if we were talking football and you dropped a bunch of hockey stats as evidence. 

2) When explained why your facts didn't address the issue, or why some were just garbage, you ran away and pulled a double dumb Ass on you and proclaimed victory. 

You have nothing to bring to this conversation but feelz and goal post moving. It's not an honest conversation with you, you're proving incapable of holding one. 

Sad to see. 

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

And Asian Carp can't just easily cut holes in a wall. Did you see they just sawed a hole in the stupid wall with a saw they bought at a Home Depot! That's so funny! 

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/424682-nbc-prototype-of-steel-border-barrier-shows-it-could-be-sawed-through

I can get into your house with my bare hands, but I bet you still lock your doors and windows.

10 minutes ago, Swill Merchant said:

I can get into your house with my bare hands, but I bet you still lock your doors and windows.

Actually, I don't... Sometimes.  LoL... /smh

Both neighbors on sides of me have my key, code to garage door.  Heck, even Amazon & Chamberlain are teaming up to get your Garage Door Code.

I am a good leftist. LoL...

42 minutes ago, B-Man said:

The main thing is, the Dems don’t want Trump to have a win on his signature policy, because they figure that will cement his re-election.

Everything else is noise..

I mean - the only thing that is missing is the Mitch McConnellesque declaration on the floor of the Senate that he would do everything possible to make sure BO was a failure....

• Like (+1) 1

This is a great thread for anyone who says "a wall is a waste of money" or "the US doesn't have the money". The United States government funds a LOT of stupid stuff (mostly as  payback for political donations).  A wall is hardly stupid. Put that money towards a better use; build that wall, Mr. President!

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Swill Merchant said:

I don't spend $5 billion to lock my doors! And most criminals look for easy ways to get in, like unlocked doors, or they know the person they are robbing. 

You have to admit that its really funny they can just cut through the thing with the equivalent of a can opener! 

1 hour ago, B-Man said:
Senate passes bill guaranteeing back pay for workers after shutdown ends
by Laura Italiano

Original Article

NPC dilemma 

Thumbnail

Image result for hack saw

Yuck yuck 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I don't spend $5 billion to lock my doors! And most criminals look for easy ways to get in, like unlocked doors, or they know the person they are robbing. 

You have to admit that its really funny they can just cut through the thing with the equivalent of a can opener! 

Yuck yuck 

As a % of your respective annual incomes, your door costs more than the wall.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

This is a great thread for anyone who says "a wall is a waste of money" or "the US doesn't have the money". The United States government funds a LOT of stupid stuff (mostly as  payback for political donations).  A wall is hardly stupid. Put that money towards a better use; build that wall, Mr. President!

Really?

$800k vs. $5.3 BILLION.

What stupid comparison.  And we know that the wall will have to be maintained, patrolled, etc... This will over run 1, 2, 3 times!!!

The gov't stay in $5.3 billion range.  Asian carp, silly Asian carp, they are saying 18 billion to replumb the waterways.... And that's only about 40 miles.

It's... Just Your boondoggle now.  A boondoggle is a boondoggle, wall, carp.  Really big wastes!

3 minutes ago, Swill Merchant said:

Explain.

It's weak rhetoric, its not convincing anyone to build a useless wall that can easily be sawed through. You saying my doors are too expensive or noneffective is just a silly comparison. Who the hell is going to be convinced by that crap argument? 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

It's weak rhetoric, its not convincing anyone to build a useless wall that can easily be sawed through. You saying my doors are too expensive or noneffective is just a silly comparison. Who the hell is going to be convinced by that crap argument? 

That's not the argument for the wall. It's an example that illustrates the absurdity of your argument against it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Swill Merchant said:

That's not the argument for the wall. It's an example that illustrates the absurdity of your argument against it.

Oh, so you don't think the fact it can easily be cut through shows how useless it is? What other proof could you possibly need? Another tweet from Trump? 

34 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Actually, I don't... Sometimes.  LoL... /smh

Both neighbors on sides of me have my key, code to garage door.  Heck, even Amazon & Chamberlain are teaming up to get your Garage Door Code.

I am a good leftist. LoL...

oh good. i'm sure you, your wife and your children won't mind then if we have ICE just drop an illegal family off at your doorstep while your away so they can come right in and make themselves at home. of course, you won't be surprised that they are there when you get home and we can also assume that you will not be calling the police. make sure you take good care of them, feed them, bathe them, care for their medical needs and schooling and trust me, they will need schooling because they probably don't speak English nor are they able to support themselves. 

so glad we have people like you to take care of these poor misfortunate people. we will pray that you don't end up a statistic like many others have. best of luck to you and thank you again.

?

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

That World of Warcraft research is actually insanely useful.  It's one of the few practical, non-destructive ways to study the behavior of #######s in large groups.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident#Models_for_real-world_research