The Trump Shutdown

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Exactly what harm could having a wall in place cause? 

Well, apart from the fact that we won't have $25 billion because we spent it on something useless...

It is going to require the seizure of private lands via eminent domain. There actually are long term environmental concerns, but I doubt you give a hot deuce about those.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Ecological disruption.  Some rare desert toad's migration patterns get disrupted or something, and interferes with their sweet, sweet desert toad nookie.  

But again: it's not about a wall.  It's about Trump's and Pelosi's pathological need to have everything their way.  

I have to think that having your land forcibly sold away from you might bother people.

Especially for such a colossal waste.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Well, apart from the fact that we won't have $25 billion because we spent it on something useless...

It is going to require the seizure of private lands via eminent domain. There actually are long term environmental concerns, but I doubt you give a hot deuce about those.

How useful are those private lands on the Mexica border at the moment? Can they be safely used at this time by the people or companies that own them?  Or are they left barren due to drug trafficking and human trafficking? (IOW is the land too dangerous to use.)

"long term environmental concerns" -- you mean like global warming? 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

So fund it...and then the money never gets spent, and the wall never built, because it's tied up in lawsuits until the end of time.

It's a fight over a $5B appropriation that will never be spent.  Which means it's not actually a fight over the appropriation...

7 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I have to think that having your land forcibly sold away from you might bother people.

Land owners have to do their "fair share."

42 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I'm not saying it, CBP/DHS/ICE agents are saying that a wall will do more to stop the flow of human trafficking and smuggling along the southern border than not having a wall will do. A wall alone is not enough, nor the only thing Trump is asking for. It will require more manpower and technology as well, but those without a wall are not as helpful. 

Most of the drugs do not come in from other places, most of the drugs coming into this country cross through the southern border. Ditto with human trafficking and other illegal smuggling. This isn't even debatable, it's a stone cold fact. 

No one, not Trump or anyone else, is asking for a wall across the entire border or claiming a wall alone will permanently solve the issue. They are merely saying it will greatly help curb the flow and drive the smugglers towards more policed and covered areas when they attempt to cross. That will increase security, arrests, and save lives

There is a political gain for Trump here. No one questions that or disputes it. The wall was his signature issue and if he can get it, it would be a tremendous political victory for 2020. Just as denying him a wall would be a victory in 2020 for the left and DNC. The difference between the two is that there is more than just politics to Trump's position, and there's nothing but politics on the DNC's side of this coin. 

Pain coming. The shutdown will hurt the left far more than the right starting tomorrow when the first checks are missed. 

Horse crap, its all politics on Trump. He sold it as something Mexico would pay for. Why? Because its stupid and knew the American people would not pay for it willingly. 

Oh, you have people saying it might do something? Will I have people saying its not: 

http://cmsny.org/publications/jmhs-visa-overstays-border-wall/

This guy lives there! 

2 days ago - Mayor of McAllen, Texas, declares that the border wall construction would ... Border Town: There Is No Crisis Here, Trump's Wall Is Pointless.

How about common sense? Walls do not work, like I said, drugs get into prisons and those have some serious walls around them! 

49 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Well, at least there were no pork chops involved...

I love this strawman. No one has ever said that a wall all by itself would be a panacea that will immediately stop all drugs, illegal immigrants, and human traffickers.

How many then? You have any statistics or anything on how much of a difference it will make? Most drugs come in another way, right? 

It's nothing more than a political stunt. 

47 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Exactly what harm could having a wall in place cause? 

Lol, you guys are down to this argument? 

That's great! 

Shutdown reaches the people-will-die stage

People Will Die is the last-resort of the Democrat Party arguments.

CBS reported on June 26, 2017, "Nancy Pelosi warns 'hundreds of thousands of people will die' if GOP health bill passes."

The Daily Caller reported on July 10, 2018, "'People Will Die': Yale Students, Faculty Outraged Brett Kavanaugh Might End Abortion."

The Guardian reported on September 19, 2018, "'People will die': Obama official's warning as Trump slashes refugee numbers."

And of course, CNBC reported on December 4, 2017, "Economist Larry Summers predicts 10,000 will die per year due to tax reform."

The government shutdown reached that point today at 4:46 AM, when CNBC reported, "The 'doomsday' scenario: Here's what happens if the shutdown drags on. Economists warn that a catastrophe is in the making if the partial government closure continues for weeks or months."

The predictions are worthy of a global warmist. They include:

• 38 million low-income Americans lose food stamps
  • 6 million face an uncertain timetable for collecting tax refunds
  • 2 million without rental assistance and facing possible eviction
  • 800,000 paycheck-less federal employees plunged into dire financial straits
  • Shuttered parks and museums while overstressed airports cause tourism to tank
  • Federal court system slows to a crawl
  • Disaster relief money doesn't get to storm-ravaged areas
  • Lapsed FDA and EPA inspections lead to dangerous outbreaks
  • Private companies looking to go public are stuck in limbo
  • Stock market plummets

And as always, if this keeps up, hair will grow on the palms of your hands.

CNBC reported on March 16, 2016, "If Trump wins, stocks will crash 50%: Wedbush pro."

https://donsurber.blogspot.com/2019/01/shutdown-reaches-people-will-die-stage.html

Rep. Will Hurd (R-Tex.), the member of Congress with the largest stretch of border in his district, strongly opposes the wall. (“I think building a concrete structure sea to shining sea is the most expensive and least effective way to do border security,” he said recently.) In 2017, he told the Atlantic, "Property rights are important to all Americans — especially Texans — and most of the property along our border has been privately held for generation." He continued, “Many Texans I speak to think there are better ways to achieve border security without taking their lands, so you can expect a lengthy and expensive fight from these folks.” (Hurd escaped the blue wave in the 2018 midterms by only 926 votes.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/01/10/texans-trump-forget-about-wall/?utm_term=.75e61e8061ca

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Land mines should be by the wall.

That will discourage illegal immigration right away.

You want them to die? 

33 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Despite the facts proving otherwise you mean. 

But when you only operate off feelz, facts aren't your friend.

...thank you for validating your inability to see facts that don't cater to your fairy tale delusions.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/08/683205814/fact-check-trumps-oval-office-pitch-for-a-border-wall

• Border crossings are at a 46 year low, and have been steadily dropping since their peak in 2000. They are lower than 2014 and 2016. 
  • According to the DEA most drugs come through legal points of entry
  • Immigrants are statistically less likely to convict crimes than native born residents.

I've said all this before. With the same evidence.

I know you're "feelz" are butthurt, but you are embarrassing yourself.

Just now, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

...thank you for validating your inability to see facts that don't cater to your fairy tale delusions.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/08/683205814/fact-check-trumps-oval-office-pitch-for-a-border-wall

• Border crossings are at a 46 year low, and have been steadily dropping since their peak in 2000. They are lower than 2014 and 2016. 
  • According to the DEA most drugs come through legal points of entry
  • Immigrants are statistically less likely to convict crimes than native born residents.

I've said all this before. With the same evidence.

I know you're "feelz" are butthurt, but you are embarrassing yourself.

None of those facts dispute my points. Which are echoed by the men and women who patrol the border and their supervisors. And, gasp, were also backed by Obama's own administration officials. 

When you can't argue facts, you change the subject or run back to your feelz. It's sad to see you so propagandized that you can't even break free from the narrative you're being fed. 

The border wall is about stopping human trafficking. Walls are proven to work and a wall is asked for by nearly every single agent and officer who risk their lives patrolling the border. These are indisputable facts. I know they're indisputable because for multiple posts now you've ignored them while trying to desperately reframe your argument into something else. 

It's sad.

20 hours ago, notwoz said:

I'm not making a case for either tax regime.  I'm just saying you don't know how the tax system works.  It works for the rich. The rest of us are hosed.

Unless I am mistaken, I thought you said i(n response to another poster) that a national sales tax would be able to fully fund our current levels of government. I don't think it would since while the current tax code has all sorts of exemptions for rich people to take advantage of it still taxes them on some of their income (Even Mitt Romney paid about 12.5% of his capital gains income.) So my argument is that a national sales tax would not be able to replace the revenue lost from payroll taxes, corporate taxes, and personal income taxes. You said that it would be to another poster and my claim was that it simply wouldn't as the numbers don't add up. 

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

It's a joke Sparky.

Point being, this whole argument is about ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.

I welcome ALL LEGAL immigrants 

My mother-in-law is a LEGAL immigrant who went thru the process the right way and is now a proud American, which we are proud to have.

This whole illegal/short cut way of these immigrants doing what they are doing at the border pisses her off to no end......... and she is also a staunch Democrat.