The Trump Shutdown

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It's the only way I see anyone who isn't Republican would see a "crisis". Of course immigration needs fixing, but come on...a continual drop in crossings since 2006? Well over a decade? 

Zero terrorists crossing the Southern border, our of 4000 caught a year?

Drugs coming...through legal checkpoints, rather than where the wall would protect? (according to the DEA)

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/08/683205814/fact-check-trumps-oval-office-pitch-for-a-border-wall

Locking kids up in cages, on the other hand...

0 terrorists. That's a real thing to hang your hat on

A terrorist by definition is applicable.  But when these mules are bringing in middle eastern drugs, Chinese opiods, sex workers, underage slave labor, more drugs, freeloaders [not Canadian], sick and ill, as well as criminals...

Do you support criminals crossing the border?  Simple yes or no.

44 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Wouldn’t it have been interesting to see Trump and the Rs specifically lay out their cases for where and how some parts of the border would benefit from a physical barrier and why. How other parts have natural barriers. How others can be monitored and protected in other ways. What the competing ideas are for detainees. How eminent domain would play a part. How long this would take to complete. Steel vs concrete practicality. Then discuss their differences. 

And all of this not as a friggin’ manufactured crisis. 

Instead both sides are children. Wall vs No Wall like it needs to be a binary thing. 

We shouldn’t be buying one side over the other in this debate. We should put a pox on both their houses and demand better. Get to the compromise and move on to more important work. 

I'm.glad I have you on ignore but NPCinPhili quoted you...

So...

Did you just wake up and start tuning in?  #orangemanbad has gone over the needs and locations of walls and improvements to them already. Several times.  You're late to the party

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I'll tell you what.  I'll answer your question with more than a one sentence gotcha if you'll do the same.  To show my sense of fair play, I'll go first.

A couple of points.

Yes, the house costs more.  But you also have more money.  If I make $100,000 and am income taxed at 20%, then I have $80,000 per year for a house.  If I get my full $100,000, I have $20,000 extra for my house.  4 years at $80,000 is over $300,000.  4 years at $100,000  is over $375,000.  A wash.

Now as to the black market.  Yes,  there would be more black  market activity. But if you think about it a minute, where are all these black market goods going to come from?  Some from theft no doubt but theft is still against the law.  Some from Canada I guess.  According to this however, prices are HIGHER in Canada.  http://www.mytravelcost.com/Canada/compare-price-countries/

How is that gonna work?  Let's take clothes for example.  19% cheaper in USA.  So if we add 25% to USA price it's 6% different.  After shipping and profit for the black marketer, you'd probably pay more.

Also 80% of consumer goods are bought from 20% of the retailers (Walmart etc.).  And with the proliferation and convenience of ordering online, do you really think a lot of people would go through the trouble to find a black marketer to pay cash for something when they can just push a button and have it arrive at their door even if costs a little more?  Would be really easy to collect those taxes.

Are you really going to the black market to buy toilet paper and tooth paste too?  What about new tires for your car?  Have someone ship them to you from Canada and then haul them down to someone to put on the rims and on the car?

Yes it's a concern, but with all of the tax avoidance and evasion legal and otherwise going on now, seems it would be a wash at worst.  Neither of us knows for sure.   It would also bring the black marketers and criminals into the tax system. presently they pay ZERO taxes (like Trump).  When they need to buy baby formula and dog food and clothes etc they will be paying some tax.  Illegal aliens will pay taxes too.

Now, my question for you.  Do you think our system is fair when people who are really really rich can legally avoid and in some cases like Trump, pay ZERO taxes?   If not, what should we do about it?

Why do you believe this?

s8xmWAvU_bigger.jpgVoxVerified account @voxdotcom
FollowFollow @voxdotcom

Hundreds of TSA agents are calling in sick during the partial government shutdown — and that could mean fewer random pat-downs, bag inspections and other screenings.

Wait...........................now you have security concerns ?....................lol..................fund the wall

Shutdown keeps getting better and better.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

But...but...I was told by Boyst that the Washington Post can't be trusted :P

33 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Wait...........................now you have security concerns ?....................lol..................fund the wall

Shutdown keeps getting better and better.

Wait...you don't have issues with national security?

What a relief. We almost built an effin' wall!

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Wait...you don't have issues with national security?

What a relief. We almost built an effin' wall!

That's how you read that ?

Wow.

or are you going to fall back on the old, "don't you recognize sarcasm" gambit ?

Either way it was a waste of everyone's time.

Remember when Democrats represented "working class" Americans?

They vigorously opposed illegal immigration because it depresses wages and costs jobs.

Today, Democrats represent illegal aliens because they will get on welfare and vote along racial/ethnic lines.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

0 terrorists. That's a real thing to hang your hat on

A terrorist by definition is applicable.  But when these mules are bringing in middle eastern drugs, Chinese opiods, sex workers, underage slave labor, more drugs, freeloaders [not Canadian], sick and ill, as well as criminals...

Do you support criminals crossing the border?  Simple yes or no.

You're offering a false dichotomy and a nice bit of circular logic. When you say "Everyone who crosses the border illegally is a criminal" and then "We have to increase border security, look at all the criminals we caught crossing the border" you get a nice bit of a feedback loop.

I am all for stemming the drug flow into the country. I am all for stopping human trafficking. But, as I have repeatedly brought up in those fact check articles, most of the drug smuggling is through legal ports of entry. Human trafficking is in no way inhibited by the wall. All the wall does is give you a hardon.

As for the others things you mentioned...

52112126.jpg

Remember when America was great...it seems to be when we had all those immigrants.

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

You're offering a false dichotomy and a nice bit of circular logic. When you say "Everyone who crosses the border illegally is a criminal" and then "We have to increase border security, look at all the criminals we caught crossing the border" you get a nice bit of a feedback loop.

I am all for stemming the drug flow into the country. I am all for stopping human trafficking. But, as I have repeatedly brought up in those fact check articles, most of the drug smuggling is through legal ports of entry. Human trafficking is in no way inhibited by the wall. All the wall does is give you a hardon.

52112126.jpg

Remember when America was great...it seems to be when we had all those immigrants.

America *is* great but negativity moves agendas. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

That's how you read that ?

Wow.

or are you going to fall back on the old, "don't you recognize sarcasm" gambit ?

Either way it was a waste of everyone's time.

Remember when Democrats represented "working class" Americans?

They vigorously opposed illegal immigration because it depresses wages and costs jobs.

Today, Democrats represent illegal aliens because they will get on welfare and vote along racial/ethnic lines.

You mean...that when Trump shoots himself in the foot and causes mass absences from the TSA (and no inspections form the FAA), and holds up the funding for border security...and it's somehow the Democrats fault? It's Lil' Baby Donny and whose whining is causing it and Turtle Head Mitch who isn't holding his feet to the fire.

6 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

America *is* great but negativity moves agendas. 

The Trumptards here and around the nation have honestly cured me of the illusion that America is great right now.

I think they got it right here:

It goddamn used to be.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

The Trumptards here and around the nation have honestly cured me of the illusion that America is great right now.

"Trumptards"

"Libtards" 

When you move in close, all that division goes away and you have people. And they are almost entirely amazing and deserving of compassion.  

Edited by BeginnersMind

17 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

52112126.jpg

They were legal immigrants you clown dick.

• Haha (+1) 1

“The U.S. Chamber of Commerce sent a letter to lawmakers Tuesday urging Congress and the Trump administration to reopen the government, throwing its support behind a deal that would combine border security measures with protections for ‘dreamers’ brought here illegally as children and those in the temporary protected status program.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-declares-a-growing-humanitarian-crisis-at-the-border-in-demand-for-wall-funding-to-end-shutdown/2019/01/08/bdd2767e-1368-11e9-803c-4ef28312c8b9_story.html?utm_term=.fb44fdc99202

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

You mean...that when Trump shoots himself in the foot and causes mass absences from the TSA (and no inspections form the FAA), and holds up the funding for border security...and it's somehow the Democrats fault? It's Lil' Baby Donny and whose whining is causing it and Turtle Head Mitch who isn't holding his feet to the fire.

I think they got it right here:

It goddamn used to be.

That Newsroom clip is intellectually vacant and easily broken down. It is devoid of substance.

The funniest thing about lefties posting it is that it makes the now racist claim that America was great at some point in the past but has since declined. Hence the need to make America great again.

• Like (+1) 2