The Trump Shutdown

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

and, this means what exactly? 

It's news, just sharing it. 

What it means isn't much of a mystery: it means the shutdown isn't ending before Thursday, and Trump will more than likely make some sort of announcement/speech Thursday while visiting the border.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

What it means isn't much of a mystery: it means the shutdown isn't ending before Thursday, and Trump will more than likely make some sort of announcement/speech Thursday while visiting the border.

Oh, good.  It's always a hoot when he makes announcements away from the Oval Office when he can't consult the Magic 8 Ball.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

yea..i was being snarky as to this is just a photo op.  I do wonder how this thing ends...i mean somehow there is going to a deal where both sides claim total victory to appease their base....

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Dude, you losing me with some of these posts that are all opinion and you state them as fact. Where in the world in that article does it have any facts to back up that claim in your link title? That 60,000 people retweeted it is indicative of...what exactly??? That Trump's followers retweet his tweets? I am not even saying the premise is wrong, just that article has absoluely no evidense to support it.

You did this as well with "Fact" guy as evidence why a wall would work...and there was not one explanation or proof based claim in that video. 

Now, while I love your memes and cartoons and such, I also  want to keep clicking your links but will not if they do not support your claim in the title.

it is not B-Man's fault that headlines are not indicative of the content of said articles. it is everywhere today. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

the one you quoted was not. unless that is his blog.

Arghh, I do stand corrected. apologies @B-Man . That being said, my thought on that article is the same. No facts, not one, to support the claim of public sides with Trump on the shutdown.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Arghh, I do stand corrected. apologies @B-Man . That being said, my thought on that article is the same. No facts, not one, to support the claim of public sides with Trump on the shutdown.

Fair enough.

I am in the "polls can be made to reflect any view" camp anyway.

Trump on Unpaid Shutdown Workers: ‘We Have a Bigger Subject That We’re Doing’ with Border. 

“Asked what the safety net is for federal workers, Trump responded that ‘the safety net it is going to be having a strong border because we’re going to be safe’.”

Trump keeps shifting the subject back to the wall.

Edited by B-Man

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

They should, if they have even a single iota of common sense.

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

Congress polls around 18%. Trump polls much higher. He won, at least in part, due to his promise of a wall and his immigration stance which was strong enough to pull over a lot of independent/former dems in the fall of '16. When polled on the issue with Trump taken out of the equation, support for immigration reform remains much higher than support for Congress. 

Polls are not accurate reflections of people's positions, but rather they're used to drive narratives and frame the national discourse. The establishment media is anti-Trump more than they're pro-truth. You're not going to get an honest discussion out of them about poll numbers... so you have to use your own eyes and ears and listen to what people are saying. I'm sure in your neck of the woods the shutdown is VERY unpopular - which makes sense. 

In LA, another very blue city, no one cares about the shutdown. No one. If they're asked about it in context with Trump, they'll froth at the mouth... but again, that's largely irrelevant. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Congress polls around 18%. Trump polls much higher. He won, at least in part, due to his promise of a wall and his immigration stance which was strong enough to pull over a lot of independent/former dems in the fall of '16. When polled on the issue with Trump taken out of the equation, support for immigration reform remains much higher than support for Congress. 

Polls are not accurate reflections of people's positions, but rather they're used to drive narratives and frame the national discourse. The establishment media is anti-Trump more than they're pro-truth. You're not going to get an honest discussion out of them about poll numbers... so you have to use your own eyes and ears and listen to what people are saying. I'm sure in your neck of the woods the shutdown is VERY unpopular - which makes sense. 

In LA, another very blue city, no one cares about the shutdown. No one. If they're asked about it in context with Trump, they'll froth at the mouth... but again, that's largely irrelevant. 

I agree with that..I am also in the camp that wants immigration reform, distrusts Congress and the President, am perfectly fine with a wall but am angry at both parties over this stalemate. As I have stated here many a time, I would be behind Trump 100% on this issue if he went to the mattresses for full funding of the wall, then I would believe it was about the wall. But it's about appeasing his base, as it is for the other side

And I do feel for these 800K people being used as pawns..no matter your opinion of the usefulness of government and its workers, these people rely on that job...and both parties could give a rats patootie about them. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

Here we go... the address will be from the Oval (first time for Trump). That signifies it will be a significant announcement (likely declaring an emergency and building the wall). 

if so, FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC.

I hope he uses every iota of his power to force this thing, despite the "Resistance."

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

if so, FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC.

I hope he uses every iota of his power to force this thing, despite the "Resistance."

He's going to declare it. He's set the table perfectly for it... injunctions will fly, but they don't have the ability to prevent it from happening. The question will be what sort of evidence will he lay out tomorrow night while making his case for the need for an emergency. There is... quite a bit he could share if he REALLY wants to go down the human trafficking road - which is the primary need for a wall.