Urban Meyer retiring after Rose Bowl

YoloinOhio

33 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

How about his favorite leaders that he loved to gush over: John Simon, Chris Bryant, Zach Boren, JT, Evan Spencer. 

Oh yeah the “Best I’ve ever been around” - another list entirely. Add Cam Johnston (punter), Terry McLaurin, Michael Bennett. 

We’ve seen this before, but not expecting him back this time.

he will be missed, one of the all time great winners

hope he can find a way to decompress and enjoy a decent retirement away from the daily     stress of coaching

it’s very hard to walk away from a successful career in any capacity 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

We’ve seen this before, but not expecting him back this time.

he will be missed, one of the all time great winners

hope he can find a way to decompress and enjoy a decent retirement away from the daily     stress of coaching

it’s very hard to walk away from a successful career in any capacity 

It’s clear he doesn’t want to stop coaching. But he doesn’t have a choice; he really can’t coach the way he wants to. He doesn’t want to be a “CEO” coach. I think there were elements of that this year... he was not as involved in the game plans. That showed.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s clear he doesn’t want to stop coaching. But he doesn’t have a choice; he really can’t coach the way he wants to. He doesn’t want to be a “CEO” coach. I think there were elements of that this year... he was not as involved in the game plans. That showed.

I agree - he said at the press conference yesterday that the reasons for his retirement are "cumulative" and include the off-field issues. He wants to coach and, if physically able in a year or two, will likely resurface somewhere.

5 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

I agree - he said at the press conference yesterday that the reasons for his retirement are "cumulative" and include the off-field issues. He wants to coach and, if physically able in a year or two, will likely resurface somewhere.

If he’s able to coach at some point, good for him. He did so much for this program and i always expected him to leave around the 5-7 year mark. I hope he can coach again for his sake, he’s only 54 and this is his life. If he can that means his cyst is under control.  I wish him good health most of all. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If he’s able to coach at some point, good for him. He did so much for this program and i always expected him to leave around the 5-7 year mark. I hope he can coach again for his sake, he’s only 54 and this is his life. If he can that means his cyst is under control.  I wish him good health most of all. 

Same. It has truly been a golden era for the Buckeyes. 

7-0!!

maybe he will take on an Oberlin level school if he can't stay away from the sidelines

was there some kind of silent agreement he was going to retire after the hassle entering the season?  with all due respect to him....

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

maybe he will take on an Oberlin level school if he can't stay away from the sidelines

was there some kind of silent agreement he was going to retire after the hassle entering the season?  with all due respect to him....

He has been dealing with advanced issues with the cyst since The Penn state game in 2017. Serious talks started this season about how long he would coach. Sounds like after the IU game, the wheels started in motion. 

Rumors of Ryan Day as the coach in waiting started swirling in September and turns out that had legs. They wanted to be prepared and not disturb the recruiting process. There is always going to be some recruiting fallout for kids who were coming here mainly for urban. But a lot of them were recruited by Day and others. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

for sure about the cyst, but he left Florida with a dire health problem as well, so it's not the first time

it's a good reason for him to leave, the locals can accept this

This one is bit worse. He needed time off and a different approach to his work and health for the heart issue. Plus his dream job opened after that year off. The timing was there.

This issue isn’t getting better, he could have another brain surgery but it’s not advised and coaching the way he coaches makes the ramifications of the cyst worse. Medically maybe it can improve, I’m not a doctor, but there are advancements all the time. But his dream job does not await this time. He’s fulfilled those goals. With his retirement, ther is nothing really for the fan base to “accept” other than reality that he’s a human being. 

interestingly enough for many Buckeye fans this isnt all sad from a pure football standpoint, but rather bittersweet. I am one of those on game day, sometimes. But I know we should be careful what we wish for. Either way, most fans are pretty excited about some changes that may await. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This one is bit worse. He needed time off and a different approach to his work and health for the heart issue. Plus his dream job opened after that year off. The timing was there.

This issue isn’t getting better, he could have another brain surgery but it’s not advised and coaching the way he coaches makes the ramifications of the cyst worse. Medically maybe it can improve, I’m not a doctor, but there are advancements all the time. But his dream job does not await this time. He’s fulfilled those goals. With his retirement, ther is nothing really for the fan base to “accept” other than reality that he’s a human being. 

interestingly enough for many Buckeye fans this isnt all sad from a pure football standpoint, but rather bittersweet. I am one of those on game day, sometimes. But I know we should be careful what we wish for. Either way, most fans are pretty excited about some changes that may await. 

...CLASSY and nicely done Yolo...hate the guy all you want, but keep it "between the white stripes".....54 years young and facing a major cyst/brain surgery?........pretty formidable road ahead and wish him the best......

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...CLASSY and nicely done Yolo...hate the guy all you want, but keep it "between the white stripes".....54 years young and facing a major cyst/brain surgery?........pretty formidable road ahead and wish him the best......

It’s incredible to me to see so many people mock a guy with a brain issue. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Willyville Guy said:

It’s incredible to me to see so many people mock a guy with a brain issue. 

..I'm an old school fart, brought up to respect.......respect is totally out the window today, TOTALLY......trashing Urban's retirement because of a potentially serious brain issue at 54 leads me to believe we've become a third rate cesspool as far as morals....Godspeed Mr. Meyer...better days ahead...........

• Thank you (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..I'm an old school fart, brought up to respect.......respect is totally out the window today, TOTALLY......trashing Urban's retirement because of a potentially serious brain issue at 54 leads me to believe we've become a third rate cesspool as far as morals....Godspeed Mr. Meyer...better days ahead...........

Yep ol' timers like you and Trump........the respect generation!

It's a moment of celebration.......everyone outside of Ohio State loves this(except maybe Brian Kelly).

But Urban......can't knock the hustle, slick!   Thoughts and prayers squared!  Peace out!✌️?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.