Urban Meyer retiring after Rose Bowl

YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

The past two days have shown that Urban lives rent free in A LOT of people’s heads. 

Maybe the second most in the US this week

Can’t be Michigan fans, they secretly wish their team gets blown out in big games

strange phenomenhom

juat as strange as everyone in the media crowing about how UM was the second best team in the country, then saying it was no big deal after tOSU skinned them alive

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

Maybe the second most in the US this week

Can’t be Michigan fans, they secretly wish their team gets blown out in big games

strange phenomenhom

juat as strange as everyone in the media crowing about how UM was the second best team in the country, then saying it was no big deal after tOSU skinned them alive

The sad irony of the media idiots who have tried so embarrassingly hard to trash Urban’s legacy is 

that Meyer, himself, saw his coaching flaws and became a great mentor of young men, along with being a great coach, after his experiences in Florida.His one weakness has been something most of us consider to be a positive character trait -- and that's loyalty. Trying so hard to help people, even his assistant coaches who many feel didn’t deserve his loyalty for different reasons - and not being as mercenary about his staff as he probably should have been. Overall, he has been a total class act and a huge asset to OSU and Columbus. I'm glad he and Shelley are staying; and expect they'll continue to give back to the community in ways many of us never hear about.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The sad irony of the media idiots who have tried so embarrassingly hard to trash Urban’s legacy is 

that Meyer, himself, saw his coaching flaws and became a great mentor of young men, along with being a great coach, after his experiences in Florida.His one weakness has been something most of us consider to be a positive character trait -- and that's loyalty. Trying so hard to help people, even his assistant coaches who many feel didn’t deserve his loyalty for different reasons - and not being as mercenary about his staff as he probably should have been. Overall, he has been a total class act and a huge asset to OSU and Columbus. I'm glad he and Shelley are staying; and expect they'll continue to give back to the community in ways many of us never hear about.

Some people look at a complicated narrative and reduce it to the lowest common denominator so it will match their already harsh and distorted view. This simplification doesn't account for the big picture that includes pluses and minuses with the pluses overwhelming the minuses. As you pointed out Urban made some glaring mistakes regarding his staff. They were not made for nefarious reasons but out of mistaken loyalty. Just because someone is not an angel doesn't mean that the person is a devil. For some people black and white is easier to deal with than proportion and nuance when judging someone. That's a shame. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep ol' timers like you and Trump........the respect generation!

It's a moment of celebration.......everyone outside of Ohio State loves this(except maybe Brian Kelly).

But Urban......can't knock the hustle, slick!   Thoughts and prayers squared!  Peace out!✌️?

....irony is I can't stand the guy..........

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Dude slow down....talk about having Urban in your head.....you are going to get lockjaw.?

Yours is the classic apologist take.

His "one weakness" is loyalty to one of his assistant coaches?   

You don't lie and cover up domestic violence to protect an assistant coach any more than you.....say....without giving a specific example......lie and cover up child abuse to protect your assistant coach.:doh:

Loyalty is my only weakness = it's someone else's fault. 

Which was his same defense at Florida..........moreso for players.......but nonetheless.......same excuse.

Urban's weakness is his character.

Getting to the penthouse level of CFB head coaches.....where he doesn't have to get his own hands dirty........and STILL being underhanded and dishonest says it all.

Mind you..........we should all know that being shady is common practice in major college football..........it's a dirty, exploitive business.........that's why I address it in a sarcastic light.........it's not amazing that a successful coach in high level amateur sports is crooked by nature.........there is an advantage to be had there for the unscrupulous.....because there is SO MUCH room for abuse of the system.

The issue from a realist perspective is the inability to own it......and the sanctimoniousness and lengths he goes thru to try to cultivate a false image much like a certain unmentioned HC from line 4 of this post.

That's why it's a polarizing topic............he works HARD to trick fools that want to believe he's not just another shyster.........the rest of us don't just keep buying by the same act.

Nobody here has lionized Urban. The guy is an all-time head coach, but he is also definitely compromised. It makes him similar to most other coaches at that level, but company does not make it okay. He convinced Jevan Snead to come to Florida by promising not to recruit another QB; and then when Tebow showed up on campus Urban told Snead that he recruited Tebow as an LB not a QB. That’s shady. When Mike Weber was about to commit to either OSU or Michigan, Urban purposefully didn’t tell Weber that the OSU RB coach who recruited him was on his way out. It worked out fine in the end, but yeah that was shady too. Keeping Zach Smith on staff when everyone knew he was a scumbag was also a huge miss (one that everyone saw in real time) - that was unquestionably out of loyalty for Coach Bruce and not because “he put the winning football games above everything else;” we know that because Smith was a poor position coach with a unit that consistently underperformed. Smith should have been fired sooner than he was for several reasons. 

But the narrative that Meyer covered up the actions of a serial domestic abuser is completely unsupported and pure bulls**t.  If you believe a lowlife muckraker like McMurphy over the finding of several police investigations and the purported victim’s mother, well, then I’d suggest that you have a hatred for Urban that occupies significant real estate in your head. 

The guy has a cyst on his brain. It was operated on unsuccessfully. Docs are telling him he can either have another brain operation or reduce stress by stepping away from the HC position at OSU — and they strongly recommend the latter. It’s incredible that any human would mock and ridicule someone in that spot.  
Edited by Willyville Guy

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I am glad we didn’t know about this during the season . I would have been a wreck... (well even more so than normal) 

Can you imagine if the national media knew that Urban was on a leash based on how intense he appeared on the sideline?  They already had a full-time Urban Cam on him to dissect his every facial expression.  

24 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Can you imagine if the national media knew that Urban was on a leash based on how intense he appeared on the sideline?  They already had a full-time Urban Cam on him to dissect his every facial expression.  

That was one of the many highly annoying things about this bizarre season 

2 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

This would discredit the theory that Urban and the school had a falling out over the Zach Smith investigation that led the parties to separate. 

I never believed there was a falling out that led to this but I do think the ordeal/suspension contributed to the issues with the health. He did admit  in the presser that it contributed. I don’t think there are any issues between him and Gene. He may not love Drake,  but not many do.i will be interested to see if actually takes this job. It doesn’t seem like a great fit for what he would be happy doing, but it would keep him somewhat busy and doing things he’s good at. His son in law is reportedly going to be the “10th assistant” coach as he’s been working closely with the QBs and was Day’s right hand man this year. So that will keep him close as well. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.