Bee swarm ends Rockies, D-backs game

millbank

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) - A swarm of bees invaded the field on Thursday and forced a game between the Colorado Rockies and Arizona Diamondbacks to be called after five innings.

The bees literally chased Rockies pitcher Darren Oliver from the mound. He kept trying to go back on the mound, but the bees would go after him again. Finally, he left for good and let another pitcher complete the inning. "I love this game," Oliver said, "but I like myself a little bit more."

Oliver said the bees apparently were attracted to the coconut oil in his hair gel.

"It was kind of funny at first, but after awhile I started getting a little nervous and scared out there," he said.

The Diamondbacks took the field in the sixth, but by then the bees had spread out all over the field, and play was not resumed. Arizona beat the Rockies 3-1 in five innings.

Joe Garagiola Sr., attending the game with his son, Diamondbacks general manager Joe Garagiola Jr., said he had never seen anything like it.

Bee Swarm

"And I go back to 1942," the elder Garagiola said.

Hey, whatever happened to those "Killer Bees" that were supposed to migrate up from S. America?  Weren't they supposed to have overrun the entire Southwest by now?

286581[/snapback]

They're tough to hit with an AK-47. But they're here. Not as bad as what they thought.

Hey, whatever happened to those "Killer Bees" that were supposed to migrate up from S. America?  Weren't they supposed to have overrun the entire Southwest by now?

286581[/snapback]

i think they're busy testifying before congress about steroid use

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) - A swarm of bees invaded the field on Thursday and forced a game between the Colorado Rockies and Arizona Diamondbacks to be called after five innings.

The bees literally chased Rockies pitcher Darren Oliver from the mound. He kept trying to go back on the mound, but the bees would go after him again. Finally, he left for good and let another pitcher complete the inning. "I love this game," Oliver said, "but I like myself a little bit more."

286516[/snapback]

So, it was okay for the bees to attack another pitcher then, Darren? I guess he was taking one for the team.