(LAMP) Going to NYC this weekend

BRH

So I'm going to NYC this weekend for a surprise birthday party for a buddy. Flying down to LGA from here on a puddlejumper; got a room at the Clarion across the street. What's the best and cheapest way to get from there to Manhattan? The only thing that sucks about LGA (well, besides the sometimes-too-short runways) is there's no subway access. I figure the M60 bus to the Astoria subway stop is the best way unless someone here knows different. I'll probably take a cab back afterward (the party's somewhere on the Upper West Side).

Thanks to any New Yawkers who can provide advice.

I just flew into JFK Tuesday night. A cab to Manhattan is $48.50- the rate is set. They run bus shuttles which I beleive are around 10$ which will get you to a subway. That must be the M60 bus- thats the way I would go. There are also alot of limo services. I used CT Limo and it got me about $48 for a ride to New Haven-you could probably get a limo company for much less then 48-its a short ride

So I'm going to NYC this weekend for a surprise birthday party for a buddy.  Flying down to LGA from here on a puddlejumper; got a room at the Clarion across the street.  What's the best and cheapest way to get from there to Manhattan?  The only thing that sucks about LGA (well, besides the sometimes-too-short runways) is there's no subway access.  I figure the M60 bus to the Astoria subway stop is the best way unless someone here knows different.  I'll probably take a cab back afterward (the party's somewhere on the Upper West Side).

Thanks to any New Yawkers who can provide advice.

286383[/snapback]

car service. unlike a taxi it's a flat rate to the airport.

I just flew into JFK Tuesday night.  A cab to Manhattan is $48.50- the rate is set.  They run bus shuttles which I beleive are around 10$ which will get you to a subway.  That must be the M60 bus- thats the way I would go.  There are also alot of limo services.  I used CT Limo and it got me about $48 for a ride to New Haven-you could probably get a limo company for much less then 48-its a short ride

286401[/snapback]

Different airport, but thanks. :blink: For JFK I take the AirTrain to the Howard Beach stop and take the A train into the city. Takes an hour but you can't beat seven bucks!

Aussie, thanks for confirming my first impression!

Different airport, but thanks.  :blink:  For JFK I take the AirTrain to the Howard Beach stop and take the A train into the city.  Takes an hour but you can't beat seven bucks!

Aussie, thanks for confirming my first impression!

286405[/snapback]

they are right next to each other and the shuttle services both airports. The bus usually does JFK first then picks up Laguardia. The air tran is what I recomend- I couldnt think of the name of it

they are right next to each other and the shuttle services both airports.  The bus usually does JFK first then picks up Laguardia.  The air tran is what I recomend- I couldnt think of the name of it

286408[/snapback]

His option will be faster and cheaper.

Subway is the cheapest, but I also recommend the express bus. There's one that goes from LGA right to Grand Central Station...probably $10 or so and WAY less of a hastle.

286420[/snapback]

Excellent! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Bingo

Thanks all!

I was there last month. Took the shuttle from LGA for $11. You don't pay any additionals (like tunnel tolls) except a tip. It takes you to Grand Central where you can either walk, take a short cab ride, or transfer (free) to another shuttle that takes you to the central bus terminal which is 2-3 blocks from Times Square (really just a 4-5 block walk). Verify this on the Net under LaGuardia Airport - it describes your options accurately It works fine and is the cheapest way but, however you go, allow enough time to get to or from the airport. Traffic can be horrendous.

Here's the info on the M60

MTA Airport Service

I've never taken it myself, but I've driven to Idlewild a few times. Queens Blvd can be intense.

Public transport in NYC is generally reliable, but allow for plenty of time especially getting back to the airport. The New York airports don't fool around with security. You need to arrive two hours before takeoff. You'll need every bit of that - especially if you check a bag.

Hope you have a nice party. Enjoy the Big Apple!