Josh Allen's progress

mjt328

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

One thing he does that I do not like is passing up easier throws that are available to him on early downs where he instead holds the ball looking for a big play.  He has got to stop that in order to become a higher percentage QB who sustains drives. 

I think it will all come in time...I really do...

To me it's more the personnel around him than anything...

In this age of hyper-analysis it's easy to forget the kid was going to be a project QB regardless...Then he's forced into an Offense with a bad O-Line, suspect skill position players all over, the penalties (tied for 6th in the league in offensive holding, tied for 9th in false starts, can't find the illegal formation stats but I know they have to be high) and a pathetic running game...Just pathetic...I mean...I'm certainly not saying you have to have a top running game to win long term...But this is a Rookie QB with suspect targets who gets NO help from the running game...None...The Bills had a measly 42 yds rushing today from their RB's...42!!! 10.5 yds per quarter!!!...Against NE, and what Belichick is going to show the kid, if you can't luck into a 10 yard run every now and again you're toast...When the Bills hand the ball off I cringe knowing the inevitable 1-2 yd gain is coming...That is not going to help any Rookie QB grow...

I'm SO looking forward to that side of the ball being blown up this off season...Outside of Allen and Barkley, If it's only Zay, Foster, and Dawkins back on Offense I'm fine with it...And with that in mind I'm not going to over-think what Josh is doing right now...Give him something that approaches an average, just average, NFL Offense personnel-wise and then we'll see...Not saying he will be Brady...But he'll be a lot better...I'm pretty sure of it...Pretty-kinda sure...??

Edited by KOKBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I think it will all come in time...I really do...

To me it's more the personnel around him than anything...

In this age of hyper-analysis it's easy to forget the kid was going to be a project QB regardless...Then he's forced into an Offense with a bad O-Line, suspect skill position players all over, the penalties (tied for 6th in the league in offensive holding, tied for 9th in false starts, can't find the illegal formation stats but I know they have to be high) and a pathetic running game...Just pathetic...I mean...I'm certainly not saying you have to have a top running game to win long term...But this is a Rookie QB with suspect targets who gets NO help from the running game...None...The Bills had a measly 42 yds rushing today from their RB's...42!!! 10.5 yds per quarter!!!...Against NE, and what Belichick is going to show the kid, if you can't luck into a 10 yard run every now and again you're toast...When the Bills hand the ball off I cringe knowing the inevitable 1-2 yd gain is coming...That is not going to help any Rookie QB grow...

I'm SO looking forward to that side of the ball being blown up this off season...Outside of Allen and Barkley, If it's only Zay, Foster, and Dawkins back on Offense I'm fine with it...And with that in mind I'm not going to over-think what Josh is doing right now...Give him something that approaches an average, just average, NFL Offense personnel-wise and then we'll see...Not saying he will be Brady...But he'll be a lot better...I'm pretty sure of it...Pretty-kinda sure...??

This is yet another variation of excuse making for our QB. And there’s truth to it but while pointing it out don’t minimize the large amount of work josh needs to do to be a great NFL quarterback. He isn’t.

I think we keep forgetting as we get lost in the “we need better WR” and “we need better RB for checkdowns” talk is Allen has had to do it alone with no rushing game help. He is be teams leading rusher for god sakes, with less carries, missing 4 games to injury and having the last two games where he ran for 30yards or less

Edited by PolishPrince
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

This is yet another variation of excuse making for our QB. And there’s truth to it but while pointing it out don’t minimize the large amount of work josh needs to do to be a great NFL quarterback. He isn’t.

He’s not a great nfl quarterback at the end of his rookie season where he missed a fair portion of the games?  

Is that shocking?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Excuse making? Seriously?...Do you have any idea what it takes to be a good NFL QB as a Rookie while playing on one of the worst, if not the worst Offense personnel-wise in the entire NFL?...It's not an excuse...It's cold, hard, sober fact...

And who said he does not need work? He's a Rookie...He needs of ton of work...There are no guarantees...But if you think you're going to be able to tell much while he's trying to steer this barge you're nuts...?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Who exactly is saying that josh does not need work?

Seriously? Come on John you’ve seen them. You’ve read their posts. 

2 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

Excuse making? Seriously?...Do you have any idea what it takes to be a good NFL QB as a Rookie while playing on one of the worst, if not the worst Offense personnel-wise in the entire NFL?...It's not an excuse...It's cold, hard, sober fact...

And who said he does not need work? He's a Rookie...He needs of ton of work...There are no guarantees...But if you think you're going to be able to tell much while he's trying to steer this barge you're nuts...?

You’re questioning my assertion of excuse making and then you follow it up with...more excuse making for this kid. This **** can’t write itself at this point. 

I hope for your sanity’s sake Allen works out.

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Gunner wasn’t a big Allen fan to begin with, so he’s going to be more critical.  His opinion is a fair one, and his reasons are also fair, just pointing out that Gunner is going to be someone that will see a little more of the negative than positive given he’s still skeptical or cautiously optimistic.  

Not true at all. I have been objective every time he has pulled on a Bills jersey and will continue to be. Josh was not good at all yesterday. He was very good indeed last week. 

That is normal for rookie Quarterbacks. But neither of those assessments if his performances have anything to do with my pre-draft assessment. 

5 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

That's not fair 26CornerBlitz.  There have been plenty of posts from the Allen Bunker Brigade indicating that Allen needs to improve his game and that he made some bad throws today.  But when certain posters focus only on those bad throws to claim he's a bust while ignoring the poor WR & TE play what do you expect?

I think the Allen Bunker Brigade has a lot more balanced take on the rookie QB then the Hate Allen Army!  We fully acknowledge what he's doing poorly while pointing out the good stuff.  All I know is that when I watch the NFL's better QB's in action there are times when I think I wish Allen was that smooth or I wish Allen would make that kind of a decision or had that exquisite touch on his passes.  But I find that it's not all that often that I feel this way.  In contrast I'm constantly thinking "why can't our WR's & TE's get open like that" or "why can't our skill players make tough catches look routine" or "why can't our RB's take that dump off pass and turn a 5 yard gain into a 15 yard gain"?

They are as bad as each other. You have the ridiculous threads 26CB posted above and then you have the equally ridiculous "Josh Allen for MVP 2019" posts that appeared last week. 

One side tried to downplay his performance last week with "yea but completion %" the other tries to overplay his performance this week by blaming receivers for every incompletion. 

This is where we are, you must take a side. Screw evaluating the kid based on the actual play on the field. Bunker in.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Surely, but watching other games today I couldn’t help but be struck at the number of teams who have several guys who make those.

Some may become all time greats like Moss and Rice someday, others are just good NFL quality WR and TE

Yep

Standard issue WR2 type catches in today's NFL

Nick Wojton's take on Allen yesterday:

Stock Down

QB Josh Allen

There wasn’t really a point against the Patriots where Allen looked like the Allen of recent. Instead, he mostly looked like the guy who injured his elbow against the Houston Texans (not as good, for those who weren’t getting it). Like the rest of his team, Allen never really got into a groove early. After halftime, Allen did improve a bit, but mostly again looked shaky. The rookie held onto the ball for too long, at times, while also struggling to find lanes to run to.

Of course, not everything was on Allen. There were numerous drops by his receivers and as usual, his offensive line had a few plays they’d like back. But after his best game with his arm against the Lions last week, this wasn’t what he was hoping for against a formidable opponent.

Sal Capaccio's take:

BEHIND THE STICKS

QB Josh Allen, especially in the first half

Allen’s numbers would have been much better had Robert Foster not lost the ball in the sun for what might have been a touchdown, but the rookie still had his worst performance since returning from injury, especially in the first half, going 7-for-16 for only 48 yards, including an interception when he clearly didn’t see a defensive back in a position to make a play on he ball.  At the end of the day, Allen finished 20-for-41 for 217 yards, a touchdown and two picks.

• Like (+1) 1

This Allen took a "step back" argument is nonsense.

He didnt have a good game and he made 2 very bad reads on his int's and a couple other missed throws.  But he also made some very nice playmaking TD passes that should have been caught and quite a few others as well.

By no means is that a "step back".   He will learn from those int's. He will learn from seeing some new disguises he went up against and I fully expect Beane will get him a much better offensive line and a couple more pass catchers that will be upgrades from what we have right now.

Put that together with Allen's inevitable year 2 jump along with an improving Foster this team should be in position to make a run for the division.

This is what I've been saying for weeks now and it's what I expect for this coming year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Magox said:

He didnt have a good game and he made 2 very bad reads on his int's and a couple other missed throws.  But he also made some very nice playmaking TD passes that should have been caught and quite a few others as well.

By no means is that a "step back".   He will learn from those int's. He will learn from seeing some new disguises he went up against and I fully expect Beane will get him a much better offensive line and a couple more pass catchers that will be upgrades from what we have right now.

Put that together with Allen's inevitable year 2 jump along with an improving Foster this team should be in position to make a run for the division.

This is what I've been saying for weeks now and it's what I expect for this coming year.

Spot on - how is another game of NFL experience a step back ? 

13 minutes ago, Magox said:

It's only a step back in the eyes of folks that weren't expecting what we saw.

The Pats know how to game plan to stop talented teams, so what did we think they'd do to us, the least talented offensive team in football?

• Like (+1) 1

You can't blame it all on the WRs. If you watch other NFL games, you soon realize that Bills WRs aren't the only ones who drop balls. Over time, an accurate quarterback will put up a good completion %. Josh Allen is not (yet) an accurate QB. Even on his completions, I see a lot of 'crude' ball placement. It gets there, but the receiver has to adjust in such a way that there's no opportunity for YAC. 

That said, accuracy seems to be his only major flaw right now. He is improving a lot in reading the field, and he doesn't hesitate to make the throws - which means his ceiling is automatically higher than Tyrod's. Hopefully time will make him more accurate. 

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Right it's just not what we're used to seeing. His arm and mobility allow him to make plays only a couple people in the league can make. Why are we going to teach him to run a short yardage checkdown offense? Let him play his game. Just get some receivers that have a clue and build around his skill set.

Not a short yardage check down offence. But when all the defenders drop back into deeper coverage he has to make them pay and hit the RB in the flat to keep them honest.