Anybody Use This Instant beer chiller

plenzmd1

Was watching mythbusters last night and they explored the fastest ways to get a six pack chilled. Found this on the net. Has anybody else used this before. Actually looks kinda cool.

http://www.beerchiller.com/

286283[/snapback]

Since I always buy my beer in the cooler case, I rarely have to deal with warm beer, but if i do, I take three beers and put them in the freezer. Then, I take a beer that I want to drink now, dump it into a glass full of ice, and then dump it back into another glass, this way it cools the beer but doesn't water it down too much. By the time you;re done with one or two beers this way, the three in the freezer are good to go.

big bucket lots of ice, add water and lots of salt-you can have a piss warm beer warm ice cold in under 2 minutes.  Tried and true method

286318[/snapback]

They had it timed in five that way. They had three minutes by doing the same thing, and then open a fire extinquisher into the cooler. However, you would have to be desperate and rich , $30 for the Fire Extiquisher, to go this route. I for one had never heard of the salt, so now I know

a lot of state stores in pa used to have wine chillers that worked the same way. just dunk your bottle of chardonnay in it for 5 minutes or so and it was ready for that gourmet dinner you spent all day slaving over. or you could just twist the cap off and enjoy it right there!

Isn't that the same as drinking it from the urinal?

BTW, how much salt does one actually use?

286363[/snapback]

A decent amount. I use salt from a can and pour a quarter-half the can in the bucket. I use a 5 gallon bucket- I am in the restaurant business and have plenty of salt and 5 gallon buckets

286363[/snapback]

The cooler they used on the show was a standard full size cooler. Looked like they dumped about half a thing of salt in there. By thing I mean the large container of salt you buy at the store for 70 cents.

I for one had never heard of the salt, so now I know

286319[/snapback]

You never made homemade ice cream? What's this world coming to?

The quick physics lesson is that it takes quite a bit of energy to heat water 10 degrees C if in that span you are changing the state from solid to liquid (calories to heat water from -5 C to 5 C > calories to heat water from 5 C to 15 C). Remember those distillation charts with the temperature plateaus from Physical Science class? That energy is taken from the surrounding environment (i.e your beer). It helps to stir up the ice/salt mixture.

I learned this stuff on Bill Nye's show. :blink:

286363[/snapback]

Varies. Buy one of those "Instant" meat thermometers - they are only a few bucks, and many models go down to deg. F - that's what you want. Take some ice, add some water, and add the rock salt or koshering salt, stick the cans or bottles in the vessel, and watch the temp drop below 32 deg F. Fastest results are obtained if you stick the vessel in the refrigerator or freezer You can also add acetone to speed up the process, but I only recommend that for a sophisticated bum like me... :blink:

Another method adds on the basic freezer insertion. Take some aluminum foil and wrap a layer around the can/bottle, with enough foil to make twisted spikes that stick out - porcupine-like, if you will. It will enhance the transfer of heat from the container. Be creative.

At a Bills game???  WTF? Just leave it in the open trunk - plenty cold.

286368[/snapback]

Frankly, I'm just a little more than disturbed that people actually let their beer get warm. I mean, whereever you go, cold beer should go, too.

(And yes, Scott...while I've never tasted piss, I'm fairly certain it would taste a lot like beer in a can.)