Do Bloodlines Matter?

DefenseWins

I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily an athletic advantage... 

i would say it’s a resource advantage thing... the sons and cousins of pro players get better advice, better recognition, strength training and generally a small foot in the door 

when you do it all for yourself without a name, the road is usually much tougher

Depends on how you mean.  "Bloodlines" is usually taken to mean "inherited traits," and there is likely some of that involved

However, preparation and training are far more important, and the kids of NFL players grow up immersed to some degree in the culture of the game, and have greater exposure to and opportunities to train with better coaches, trainers, and programs if they so choose, simply through the contacts their fathers develop in the NFL.  That's the far greater impact of "bloodlines."

There's also a measure of confirmation bias at work, too: how many children of former NFL players fail to make it in college or the pros?  You'll never see that story written...

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Yes, of course it matters.  Having the knowledge from birth, from a parent who has been there does matter, but some bloodlines are more athletic than others.  If you take the two most athletic people you know and they breed, then take the two least athletic people you know and they breed, who do you think is likely to have more athletic children?  It is an obvious yes.

Physiology is genetic. It is no surprise. Chances are if your dad and/or mom was an Olympian, you have what it takes to be one too. 

Why hat is this a question? 

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily an athletic advantage... 

i would say it’s a resource advantage thing... the sons and cousins of pro players get better advice, better recognition, strength training and generally a small foot in the door 

when you do it all for yourself without a name, the road is usually much tougher

Its fully an athletic/physiological advantages. Unless your parents have some untapped elite physiology that they didn’t know about, the. The chances of you being an elite athlete are much slimmer than guys who do have those parents 

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Physiology is genetic. It is no surprise. Chances are if your dad and/or mom was an Olympian, you have what it takes to be one too. 

Why hat is this a question? 

Its fully an athletic/physiological advantages. Unless your parents have some untapped elite physiology that they didn’t know about, the. The chances of you being an elite athlete are much slimmer than guys who do have those parents 

I guess I’m just lucky my father was a natural athlete then 

I always thought it was me ?