Falcons at Saints Thurs Night NBC

43 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm not trying to diminish Drew Brees performance this season, but that offense is unbelievably versatile. It tends to bother me when one guy gets all the credit at the expense of studs like Thomas, Kamara, and of course Sean Peyton.

The flip side is outside if thomas and kamara- their pass catchers are borderline horrific. Have you been watching what brees is actually doing with these guys? He’s making some insane throws regularly. Like several each week that would be the best of the bills entire season 

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

The flip side is outside if thomas and kamara- their pass catchers are borderline horrific. Have you been watching what brees is actually doing with these guys? He’s making some insane throws regularly. Like several each week that would be the best of the bills entire season 

They have guys making contested catches LEFT AND RIGHT.

I've watched almost every Saints game. This is what I mean. You're trying to undersell the rest of the team to pump Brees up. There's a reason he went 7-9 three years in a row. It was largely defense and the absence of the running game. Now they make plays on defense and have the best 12 punch in football in Kamara and Ingram.

Brees is a HOF QB. That team and coach are great. The two are not mutually exclusive.

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

They have guys making contested catches LEFT AND RIGHT.

I've watched almost every Saints game. This is what I mean. You're trying to undersell the rest of the team to pump Brees up. There's a reason he went 7-9 three years in a row. It was largely defense and the absence of the running game. Now they make plays on defense and have the best 12 punch in football in Kamara and Ingram.

Brees is a HOF QB. That team and coach are great. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Those contested catches are in large part because of RIDCULOUS ball placement though. Threading an 18 inch window 30 yards down field in between double coverage makes for great catches but the throw is the star in this passing game. 

I agree that the teams playing well around him and Thomas/kamara are real players but the season he’s having is becoming one of the best of the generation at the most important position. It’s really something to see (-signed, long term season ticket holder who is very familiar with the 7-9 years)

Just now, NoSaint said:

Those contested catches are in large part because of RIDCULOUS ball placement though. Threading an 18 inch window 30 yards down field in between double coverage makes for great catches but the throw is the star in this passing game. 

I agree that the teams playing well around him and Thomas/kamara are real players but the season he’s having is becoming one of the best of the generation at the most important position. It’s really something to see (-signed, long term season ticket holder who is very familiar with the 7-9 years)

I never like when one guy gets all the credit. Just a personal gripe. Last season, it was apparent that Doug Pederson was pushing ALL the right buttons and he got zero credit until Wentz went down. Had it not been for Wentz's injury, you'd still probably hear very little about Pederson's impact on the team. (Yes, they're having a down year).

Brees' ball placement is ridiculous. He's a HOF QB and 26/2 is just unheard of. I feel like they jinxed him by throwing up the 1 INT graphic right before he threw a pick. No debating Brees greatness. I just don't think the rest of that team or Peyton get enough love. No major disagreement here. Just quibbling. By the way, what the hell are you doing here? No second teams allowed!?

The revisionist history regarding Brees is comical. While he deserves credit for evolving into one of the greatest passers in NFL history, there was little indication that this would happen early in his career.

1. Despite being such a prolific passer at Purdue, he fell to the 2nd round back in 2001 largely because of questions about his arm strength and short stature -- just 6'0". 

2. Brees did not look great for the Chargers in any of his first three seasons. I remember a game he played (I believe it was in 2002) against us in Buffalo. He absolutely could NOT throw the ball in the poor elements. The Chargers coaches benched him in the 2nd half, and Flutie came in  off the bench. (The Bills held on to win the game.) 

3. The Chargers thought so little of Brees that they drafted Eli Manning with the #1 overall pick in 2004 -- and, yes, Brees played a significant role in getting them to the position of drafting #1 overall (he also missed a number of starts that season due to injury). Of course, the team made the swap with the Giants when they were on the clock at #4 to take Philip Rivers.

4. Maybe the drafting of Manning/Rivers served as a wake-up call because Brees finally played well that year (2004). However, he injured his throwing shoulder late in the season. It is hard to blame any team for passing on a QB coming off a serious shoulder injury, who played well in a contract year prior to the injury -- but had otherwise shown little. Credit the Saints for recognizing his potential and signing him to what was at the time a hefty contract.

Edited by 2003Contenders

4 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

The revisionist history regarding Brees is comical. While he deserves credit for evolving into one of the greatest passers in NFL history, there was little indication that this would happen early in his career.

1. Despite being such a prolific passer at Purdue, he fell to the 2nd round back in 2001 largely because of questions about his arm strength and short stature -- just 6'0". 

2. Brees did not look great for the Chargers in any of his first three seasons. I remember a game he played (I believe it was in 2002) against us in Buffalo. He absolutely could NOT throw the ball in the poor elements. The Chargers coaches benched him in the 2nd half, and Flutie came in  off the bench. (The Bills held on to win the game.) 

3. The Chargers thought so little of Brees that they drafted Eli Manning with the #1 overall pick in 2004 -- and, yes, Brees played a significant role in getting them to the position of drafting #1 overall (he also missed a number of starts that season due to injury). Of course, the team made the swap with the Giants when they were on the clock at #4 to take Philip Rivers.

4. Maybe the drafting of Manning/Rivers served as a wake-up call because Brees finally played well that year (2004). However, he injured his throwing shoulder late in the season. It is hard to blame any team for passing on a QB coming off a serious shoulder injury, who played well in a contract year prior to the injury -- but had otherwise shown little. Credit the Saints for recognizing his potential and signing him to what was at the time a hefty contract.

...if I remember correctly, Brees was Marty's guy and Blowhard AJ hated Marty......so the deck was stacked about retaining Brees......AJ drafts Rivers and fires Marty after a 14-2 season....

17 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm not trying to diminish Drew Brees performance this season, but that offense is unbelievably versatile. It tends to bother me when one guy gets all the credit at the expense of studs like Thomas, Kamara, and of course Sean Peyton.

I think one can go further and say one reason Brees looks so fantastic this year vs previous seasons where he's actually thrown for significantly more yards, is the fact that the Saints are leading the NFL in number of rushing attempts this season. 

Read that again: the Saints are leading the NFL in number of rushing attempts this season at this point.  They're not leading in YPC, but respectable: 4.3 YPC moves the chains, and they're 4th in overall rush yards.

When one has a great QB who knows he does not have to throw to move the chains, he can pick his targets.  If Brees 1st INT is similar to his 2nd the only reason it was a pick is 'cuz the D undressed his WR and the zebras kept the laundry in their pockets.

Please take note, those who say "passing is IT" in the NFL today.  Drew Brees has thrown for significantly lower YPG this season and last season - under 300 ypg for the first time since 2010 - and been a more effective QB for it, because Kamarra.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think one can go further and say one reason Brees looks so fantastic this year vs previous seasons where he's actually thrown for significantly more yards, is the fact that the Saints are leading the NFL in number of rushing attempts this season. 

Read that again: the Saints are leading the NFL in number of rushing attempts this season at this point.  They're not leading in YPC, but respectable: 4.3 YPC moves the chains, and they're 4th in overall rush yards.

When one has a great QB who knows he does not have to throw to move the chains, he can pick his targets.  If Brees 1st INT is similar to his 2nd the only reason it was a pick is 'cuz the D undressed his WR and the zebras kept the laundry in their pockets.

Please take note, those who say "passing is IT" in the NFL today.  Drew Brees has thrown for significantly lower YPG this season and last season - under 300 ypg for the first time since 2010 - and been a more effective QB for it, because Kamarra.

It's brilliant and it's fun to watch.  And every opposing teams know that if they dare gameplan for the "new Saints," Brees will destroy them the old-fashioned way.

And you make a great point re: RPC.  Committing to the run game, even if it's not wildly successful, still keeps the defense honest and opens things up further down the field.  I'm not going to take this off topic, but let's just say, other teams could learn from that.

But I'm sure having Brees at QB makes a lot of things look easier than they are.

Playoffs are going to be really fun to watch.

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's brilliant and it's fun to watch.  And every opposing teams know that if they dare gameplan for the "new Saints," Brees will destroy them the old-fashioned way.

And you make a great point re: RPC.  Committing to the run game, even if it's not wildly successful, still keeps the defense honest and opens things up further down the field.  I'm not going to take this off topic, but let's just say, other teams could learn from that.

But I'm sure having Brees at QB makes a lot of things look easier than they are.

Playoffs are going to be really fun to watch.

You're right of course that committing to the run game opens up the field.  And 3.4 ypa on average moves the chains.

I think by any other metric but YPC, one would have to score the Saints run game as "pretty untamedly successful" (if not actually wildly).  They're like 4 in overall rush yards, 6th in ypg, and leading the league in rushing TD.

Which brings up a point, that by committing to the run, the Saints are pwning the TOP statistic on offense at 32:30 per game - 35:27 in their most recent 5 games.

It's hard to overcome a high-scoring offense when you can't get equal time for your hands on the ball.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You're right of course that committing to the run game opens up the field.  And 3.4 ypa on average moves the chains.

I think by any other metric but YPC, one would have to score the Saints run game as "pretty untamedly successful" (if not actually wildly).  They're like 4 in overall rush yards, 6th in ypg, and leading the league in rushing TD.

Which brings up a point, that by committing to the run, the Saints are pwning the TOP statistic on offense at 32:30 per game - 35:27 in their most recent 5 games.

It's hard to overcome a high-scoring offense when you can't get equal time for your hands on the ball.

And the TOP keeps the defense fresh.  They're just doing everything right.  Most importantly, they're scoring (obviously).  Teams can win TOP and sustain a running game - but if they don't score, it might not matter.  Saints are clicking on all cylinders.  

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They are also playing smart situational football and converting 4th downs. Extending drives is major in both the TOP and scoring. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I've been joking all season that they could conceivably run out an entire half. Not quite sure if that's mathematically possible. You'd need a lot of crazy penalties, etc.

I do think there's a chance they'll run out a quarter by the end of this season.