Thanksgiving and the SJW

Chef Jim

7 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Why should it come back to that question? It makes no sense. The questions has always been "Who wants to earn extra cash today? or "Who wants to save a few bucks on a TV?"

It doesn't need to be anything other than a day ending with a "Y" to have people raise their hands for either. Sometimes...most of the times, in fact...it's just people who like either of those. I have an employee who can't wait to battle at Best Buy when it opens. I have friends whose would gladly earn double time to work Thanksgiving.

None of them are desperate. If you want to see desperate, drive through downtown LA this morning. That's desperate.

Local news just showed a woman who'd been camped out at Best Buy since Wednesday so she could save a few bucks.  They showed her again later in the broadcast checking out with a big smile after saving $1200 on the SIX big screen TVs she was buying.

Let me guess, she can't afford health insurance.

19 hours ago, Buftex said:

No, not joking. I'm old enough to remember a time when stores being closed on Sunday was the norm, holidays were not even a question. And while I am sure Chef Jim is correct, many appreciate the chance to earn extra money, I would be willing to bet as many would prefer to be home with their families, but don't get to make that choice.

And if nobody was open on Thanksgiving, you could do the same business on Friday morning.

Jim, you really can't see the difference between Wal-Mart/Target etc and the emergency room of a hospital? I will assume you framed this as an SJW issue, to make some other point. But it doesn't really have anything to do with social justice. Its just decency.

Of course I know the difference. That was tongue in cheek. I worked every holiday you can think of. Missed birthdays, anniversaries, special events etc etc for years when I worked in restaurants and hotels.  And yes I had a choice.  I could have gone into a different career which I eventually did. I was typically on salary so I was not paid any more for working holidays. It was the nature of the beast. I just did it because I loved cooking.  Same with retail.  You don’t like that?  Do something else. 

14 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

This is mostly a conservative/family “values” movement, isn’t it?

If you think family values is stuffing yourself with turkey once a year it’s peobaby safe to say your family values aren’t that good 

This is nothing other than another heavy heaping of leftists "I know what's best for you-ism".

Much like the advent of child labor laws (child labor was nearly completely done away with organically when they were passed, and those children who were working were doing so because if they didn't their families would starve), all this serves to do is hurt poor people in the name of making ***** feel better about themselves.

Retail box stores are dying, and Black Friday sales are one of their biggest days every year.  Retailers need to have events like this in order to keep their doors open.

If they don't keep their doors open the jobs that they offer to the unskilled work force will go away.

• Like (+1) 3

22 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

You all have probably seen this. SJW demanding retailers close on Thanksgiving to give their employees the day off with their families. Well if you don’t want to work holidays don’t go work in retail, hospitals or hospitality. And I imagine many of these workers are saying “STFU!!  I’m getting triple time today!”  

You have a link for this? Is this some Fox News story or something? 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You have a link for this? Is this some Fox News story or something? 

A link?  Fox News?  Umm no. I use my ears and eyes to formulate my own thoughts on things. I don’t need my overlords telling me how to think like you do. 

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

A link?  Fox News?  Umm no. I use my ears and eyes to formulate my own thoughts on things. I don’t need my overlords telling me how to think like you do. 

But who are these people demanding that capitalism be shut down and the workers be starved to death??? 

22 hours ago, Foxx said:

SJWs always know what is best for everyone else. they just don't always know what is best for themselves.

21 hours ago, Foxx said:

see, the thing is... retail and customer service was never/should not be confused with a lifetime goal. it is/should be stepping stones into/out of the workforce.

Huh.....see what you did there? 

Was Disneyland closed yesterday? How about movie theaters? Did the Police and firefighters work? How 'bout gas station attendants? I bet no football was played on Thanksgiving. And of course the workers at stadiums stayed home - no doubt. Even IF there were football games played, I'll bet no one attended the game(s). Were there any toll takers working on the nation's highways? What about TV news anchors and the weather forecasters? Anyone see a parade yesterday? If so, pretty sure none of them were hired hands. All restaurants were closed too - amirite? 

3 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Was Disneyland closed yesterday? How about movie theaters? Did the Police and firefighters work? How 'bout gas station attendants? I bet no football was played on Thanksgiving. And of course the workers at stadiums stayed home - no doubt. Even IF there were football games played, I'll bet no one attended the game(s). Were there any toll takers working on the nation's highways? What about TV news anchors and the weather forecasters? Anyone see a parade yesterday? If so, pretty sure none of them were hired hands. All restaurants were closed too - amirite? 

I can tell you're from New Jersey.

7 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Actually in MA now, and had Thanksgiving dinner at my daughter's home. Her brother-in-law had to leave to go to work - at a gas station. :lol:

In WNY it's all self-serve with the exception of one chain who usually has an attendant, although the Indian Reservations normally pump gas for you. I think it helps to push more gas.