Top 15 blown tech deals

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/tech-deals-decade-2009-12

It's not considered a tech company but the one that sticks out to me is Blockbuster rejecting buying Netflix for $50 million.  

Rumor has it, Blockbuster CEO literally laughed in Netflix' face when they made that offer. Dish Network ended up buying Blockbuster out towards the end. They did everything that Blockbuster should have done. Started a kiosk system to rival Redbox, started a streaming service. Unfortunatly, the streaming service didn't have very good content because of how late to the game they were, and it was all just too late. 

One of my good buddies brothers made it pretty big back in the 60's and early 70's selling ski equipment. Sold the company for 4M. His good HS buddy, Tom Golisano, asked him to invest in the ground floor of Paychex. Instead, he went west to start a restaurant with Olympic skier Billy Kidd. Came back several years later, not penniless, but no longer a millionaire. And certainly not the billionaire investing with Golisano would have made him. To Tom's credit, he didn't take things personally and always take care of his old friend, at one time making him marketing (or was it business?) manager of the Sabres.

7 minutes ago, Steve O said:

One of my good buddies brothers made it pretty big back in the 60's and early 70's selling ski equipment. Sold the company for 4M. His good HS buddy, Tom Golisano, asked him to invest in the ground floor of Paychex. Instead, he went west to start a restaurant with Olympic skier Billy Kidd. Came back several years later, not penniless, but no longer a millionaire. And certainly not the billionaire investing with Golisano would have made him. To Tom's credit, he didn't take things personally and always take care of his old friend, at one time making him marketing (or was it business?) manager of the Sabres.

Oops? 

11 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Quite sad. The 30 for 30 "Broke" showed how a lot of athletes went broke making "sexy"  and fun investments in things like restaurants and shoes, ignoring the more practical, less flashy investments. Glad he didn't sink to rock bottom though.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

Just now, Steve O said:

Indeed...I'm sure he longed for a do-over. 

I learned from my banking days, any time you think of investing in a restaurant, think again.....then run away! 

Play follow the genius! 

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

I learned from my banking days, any time you think of investing in a restaurant, think again.....then run away! 

Play follow the genius! 

it's a vanity project, need a heap of $$$ to burn away that you don't care about to get going

14 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Right, it's a gamble that you'll most likely lose, so don't invest money that you're willing to risk never seeing again. 

there are as many reasons to go into business as there are businesses

a few reasons for clients I've performed budgets and asset tracings for....

1) keep the trophy wife or slightly handicapped child busy with a project

2) retirement with a decent nest egg for a small eatery (this has a high success rate if they keep calm with the revenues)

3) a winning franchise while it is still a winner

Edited by row_33

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Right, it's a gamble that you'll most likely lose, so don't invest money that you're willing to risk never seeing again. 

From what I've seen, the common denominator for the failures is not putting in 12-14 hours a day. If you're simply looking for an investment but  not really looking to work, buy a  penny stock and take your chances.  Common denominator for the successes is the owner working the bar and being sociable with the clientele.

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Surplus Viet Nam war era Huey's retrofitted with remote controls are your drone delivery fleet?  

Meadadrone is in development stage of converting the planes to run on dead fish from the red tide ?