Question for the Deadheads Here

My dad saw them back in the 70's at Rich Stadium. He said they didn't play Truckin' and the reason he had heard, is that they intentially didn't play it in any of the cities mentioned in the song. Apparently, they thought it just ruined the vibe when people would cheer when they heard their city name. But I haven't been able to verify this anywhere on the internet. I've never been a huge fan, but definitely respect them. I've noticed more than a fair share of you here, and figured this would actually be the place to go.

@The Poojer

• RICH STADIUM - JULY 16, 1990
    Final "Blow Away" - "Jam" includes brief "Mind Left Body" theme - Crosby, Stills & Nash opened

Setlist

• Hell in a Bucket
    Mississippi Half-Step
    Blow Away
    Mama Tried
    Mexicali Blues
    Loose Lucy
    It's All Over Now
    High Time
    Let it Grow
    Don't Ease Me In

Sugar Magnolia
    Scarlet Begonias
    Man Smart/Woman Smarter
    Ship of Fools
    Truckin'
    drums
    The Wheel
    Gimme Some Lovin'
    Wharf Rat
    Around and Around
    Sunshine Daydream

Brokedown Palace

Your dad was probably too high to remember.

Just joking.

I certainly remember hearing them play Truckin' at least a couple times that I saw them in Buffalo.  Just like how they always seemed to play China Cat/Rider whenever I saw them in Denver.  ("I wish I was a headlight on a northbound train.  I'd shine my light through the cool Colorado rain...")

I miss those boys.

https://archive.org/details/gd73-03-31.sbd.yerys.2237.sbeok.shnf/gd73-03-31d3t02.shn

big cheer at that moment...

https://archive.org/details/gd1990-07-16.Nak300.Senn441.JB.Keo.116445.Flac2496/gd1990-07-16.Nak300.t18.flac

not on a lot of Buffalo show set lists on that site  though.... might have had a point mostly, they might have avoided it more than other cities

Edited by row_33

I know it's not the same and i also know they don't come down under to you, but Dead & Company is doing a very good job, each tour gets stronger

29 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Your dad was probably too high to remember.

Just joking.

I certainly remember hearing them play Truckin' at least a couple times that I saw them in Buffalo.  Just like how they always seemed to play China Cat/Rider whenever I saw them in Denver.  ("I wish I was a headlight on a northbound train.  I'd shine my light through the cool Colorado rain...")

I miss those boys.

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

My dad saw them back in the 70's at Rich Stadium. He said they didn't play Truckin' and the reason he had heard, is that they intentially didn't play it in any of the cities mentioned in the song. Apparently, they thought it just ruined the vibe when people would cheer when they heard their city name. But I haven't been able to verify this anywhere on the internet. I've never been a huge fan, but definitely respect them. I've noticed more than a fair share of you here, and figured this would actually be the place to go.

@The Poojer

I’ve never heard of such a thing. I don’t think cheering for a Buffalo mention would hurt the vibe at all, at least I don’t see them thinking like that.

53 minutes ago, Rico said:

I’ve never heard of such a thing. I don’t think cheering for a Buffalo mention would hurt the vibe at all, at least I don’t see them thinking like that.

woke Jerry up during those last years

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

I clearly (somewhat) remember at the 4th of July 86 show at Rich Stadium ... "Leaving Buffalo 4th day of July, sun so hot etc ..."

It obviously got a loud response from the crowd.

Nice

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

I clearly (somewhat) remember at the 4th of July 86 show at Rich Stadium ... "Leaving Buffalo 4th day of July, sun so hot etc ..."

It obviously got a loud response from the crowd.

I don't remember that, but I was also there, then at the 2 RFK Stadium shows a couple days later. Dylan & the Heartbreakers and the Dead, epic week. So friggin' hot though.

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

I don't remember that, but I was also there, then at the 2 RFK Stadium shows a couple days later. Dylan & the Heartbreakers and the Dead, epic week. So friggin' hot though.

Opened with Jack Straw in Buffalo and the line was leaving Texas, 4th day of July

Edited by row_33

This is the setlist from the 7/4/1989 show.  NO Tuckin'  but check out the art work:

GD_Tuckin_Up_to_Buffalo.jpg?itok=x5gPngd

http://www.dead.net/show/july-4-1989

That's the show I went to with my Brother.  I was still tripping the next day.  Went to work @ Dubel's Deli... What a strange trip it was slicing Krakus ham for the old Polish ladies from Cheektowaga.  Amazingly I have all my fingers!  That was the show that we almost ended up on a bus to Hamilton.  Brother started drinking Canadians with the Hamilton crew and almost left town.  Good thing we came to our senses. 

That's right... 10,000 Maniacs opened.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

In college in Cincinnati, some guy invited people to stay at his parent’s place when the Dead were in Indianapolis. MANY people. The parents  were out of town somewhere. One of the best weekends of my life. I suspect he and his parents have different opinions.  I don’t think anyone got arrested, but I can attest......it came very close. 

18 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This is the setlist from the 7/4/1989 show.  NO Tuckin'  but check out the art work:

GD_Tuckin_Up_to_Buffalo.jpg?itok=x5gPngd

http://www.dead.net/show/july-4-1989

That's the show I went to with my Brother.  I was still tripping the next day.  Went to work @ Dubel's Deli... What a strange trip it was slicing Krakus ham for the old Polish ladies from Cheektowaga.  Amazingly I have all my fingers!  That was the show that we almost ended up on a bus to Hamilton.  Brother started drinking Canadians with the Hamilton crew and almost left town.  Good thing we came to our senses. 

That's right... 10,000 Maniacs opened.

Just in case you didn't know, that show is on DVD.

https://www.amazon.com/Truckin-Up-Buffalo-Grateful-Dead/dp/B00BHWG270/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542684626&sr=8-3&keywords=grateful+dead+buffalo

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Do you know if they ever had a policy like that?

Their only "policy" was to play what they felt like playing.

The only trend that I'm aware of was to play "One More Saturday Night" on Saturday shows, but I don't know if they did it every Saturday.