LOST? I thought it was supposed to be a new show?

Justice

looked awesome. Locke's starting to lose all his new found abilities and what about that plane? I'm intrigued, very intigued.

285679[/snapback]

I was thinking of a body/mind possession of Locke by some force on the island, perhaps he was hand-picked right after the crash, lying on the sand. Explains how he was able to walk. The encounter w/ the 'monster' only confirmed that he'd submit to its will. But maybe he's going against what the Island/monster wants, and what the Island giveth, the Island can taketh away?

The plane might be connected to the hatch they found, no? Looks like a huge development next week if it's not a tease like Shannon's 'death.'

So, after I found out Jack's name is Jack Shepard, I'm also thinking of a Christ/Disciples reading. There's 14 main characters. The Big Twelve, JC, and Mary Magdalene?

As I stated in two weeks ago, I just got into this show. I read all the episode summaries (and I am loving these repeats that I am seeing for the first time).

Have any of you discussed the fact that Locke's name is John Locke, as in the philosopher? Any theories from that discussion that I may have missed? Any other characters named after philosophers?

As I stated in two weeks ago, I just got into this show. I read all the episode summaries (and I am loving these repeats that I am seeing for the first time).

Have any of you discussed the fact that Locke's name is John Locke, as in the philosopher? Any theories from that discussion that I may have missed? Any other characters named after philosophers?

285720[/snapback]

Tons.

I suggest you check the archives.

BTW Maybe the best show ever IMO. I don't recall a program I liked better, except for maybe The Sopranos, but that's not TV it's HBO :huh:

Tons.

I suggest you check the archives.

BTW Maybe the best show ever IMO. I don't recall a program I liked better, except for maybe The Sopranos, but that's not TV it's HBO <_<

285729[/snapback]

Could someone post a summary of what you all concluded about the "philospher angle?" My employer would not be too happy with me spending hours sifting through LOST threads.

Could someone post a summary of what you all concluded about the "philospher angle?" My employer would not be too happy with me spending hours sifting through LOST threads.

285869[/snapback]

Aren't you a lawyer? Just print it all out and while reading it, look stressed out and pissed off. He'll think you're reviewing a case.

Aren't you a lawyer? Just print it all out and while reading it, look stressed out and pissed off. He'll think you're reviewing a case.

285890[/snapback]

Didn't you watch that Seinfeld where George does that, only w/ a crossword puzzle? Didn't it backfire on him tho? <_<

Why would your boss mind, isn't this just adding to your billable hours?

286063[/snapback]

unfortunatly, the producers of LOST are not one of our clients, so we can not bill anyone for my reading of countless LOSt threads on twobillsdrive. And despite the collective intelligence and probative analysis displayed on this board, most notably in the PPP forum, I would not be able to rely upon any information here as mandatory or persuasive legal authority. <_<

That being said, anyone have any thoughts on John Locke being named after a philosopher?

I am not an expert on the philosphy of John Locke, but I found this excerpt from a philosphy web site explaining some of Locke's general ideas on knowledge and reality:

Locke wishes to avoid any presupposition about matter, or mind, or their relation. It is not difficult to see that the notions which he has expelled often re-enter. But the peculiar value of his approach consists in his attempt to keep clear of them. He begins neither with ind nor matter, but with ideas. Their existence needs no proof: "everyone is conscious of them in himself, and men's words and actions will satisfy him that they are in others." His first inquiry is "how they come into the mind"; has next business is to show that they constitute the whole material of our knowledge. In his answer to the former question we discover the influence of traditional philosophy, or rather of ordinary common sense views of existence, upon his views. All our ideas, he says, come from experience. The mind has no innate ideas, but it has innate faculties: it perceives, remembers, and combines the ideas that come to it from without; it also desires, deliberates, and wills; and these mental activities are themselves the source of a new class of ideas. Experience is therefore twofold. Our observation may be employed either about external sensible objects, or about the internal operations of our minds. The former is the source of most of the ideas which we have, and, as it depends "wholly upon our senses," is called "sensation." The latter is a source of ideas which "every man has wholly in himself," and it might be called "internal sense"; to it he gives the name "reflection."

Thus, it seems as though Locke was an "idealist" in a philosophical sense. Then could the show LOST be casted as "The World According to Locke?" Meaning, if reality is formed by our ideas, and ideas are created by our expereinces, then the experiences of the survivors could be impacting the collective reality of the Loche-ian island.

That's the gist of what was discussed. If you want anything more probative, I'd really suggest finding a LOST-centric board where they go into more detail. I'm a fan of the show, but I'm not so hardcore that I do that. Here, it's mostly just spotty commentary and let the writers/actors reveal what happens. Also, a place to bounce your theories and 'Did you notice...' off the walls.

Like so: Going w/ the Jack=Shepard=Christ, what do you make of the phrasing last night when Jack saunters over and says, "I know we haven't talked in a while...." That's usually how someone who's lost faith approaches the subject. I've read that Locke, the philosopher, was down w/ religion, but at times he's heavy on the material world and our experiences here shaping who we are, etc. Jack then mentions they need meat --> Jack taking care of the flock.

Another thing to add, I read there was a convention of sorts where 8 of the main char. & the writers were onstage taking questions. Someone asked the actors if they thought Locke was good (as opposed to being evil). No one raised their hands. Then the guy who plays Boone skeevishly raised his hand and started laughing. Then again, the actors are kept in the dark about plotlines too, until they get the script. There have been several scenes where the actual film they show was their reaction to the first time seeing something.

The 6-DVD set comes out in August. 39 bucks on amazon.

Another thing to add, I read there was a convention of sorts where 8 of the main char. & the writers were onstage taking questions. Someone asked the actors if they thought Locke was good (as opposed to being evil). No one raised their hands. Then the guy who plays Boone skeevishly raised his hand and started laughing. Then again, the actors are kept in the dark about plotlines too, until they get the script. There have been several scenes where the actual film they show was their reaction to the first time seeing something.

I remember hearing about that as well - but I am starting to like the "philosopher" angle the more I think about it. What if the island is a metaphysical forum where different theories of knowledge and reality are playing themselves out - and conflicting.