Kansas Set Hires Les Miles as New HC

26CornerBlitz

Les and LSU came to a buyout agreement.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25287110/lsu-tigers-les-miles-reach-15-million-buyout-agreement

He's going somewhere.

He's also 65, and that part of the country is devoid of football talent.

That's going to be one tough row to hoe.

I like the guy, and wish him luck.

eh, Kansas has been looking for a HC ever since they fired Mark Mangino.

Up and comer Turner Gill

The name recognition of Charlie Weis

another up and comer in Beatty

Their back to the name.

People actually thought Turner Gill was going to be an improvement over Mangino. I still laugh about that.

3 hours ago, CookieG said:

eh, Kansas has been looking for a HC ever since they fired Mark Mangino.

Up and comer Turner Gill

The name recognition of Charlie Weis

another up and comer in Beatty

Their back to the name.

People actually thought Turner Gill was going to be an improvement over Mangino. I still laugh about that.

Didn't he get fired for being to old school ?

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Didn't he get fired for being to old school ?

yeah, he did, with a potentially racist comment thrown in during one of his practice tirades.  The real reason, I think, was that the AD never liked him (a guy that ended up getting fired a year or two later for some ticket selling scandal). 

It was no secret that he drove his players hard and had the social skills of Lee Emery in Full Metal Jacket mode.

On the other hand, when he was hired, Kansas wasn't much above a club level program. He was literally going around the campus asking people to join the squad. A few years later, he had an 11-1 team that won an Orange Bowl. He was the Coach of the Year by...everyone.

Since he left, they've been a bit above club level again.

5 minutes ago, CookieG said:

yeah, he did, with a potentially racist comment thrown in during one of his practice tirades.  The real reason, I think, was that the AD never liked him (a guy that ended up getting fired a year or two later for some ticket selling scandal). 

It was no secret that he drove his players hard and had the social skills of Lee Emery in Full Metal Jacket mode.

On the other hand, when he was hired, Kansas wasn't much above a club level program. He was literally going around the campus asking people to join the squad. A few years later, he had an 11-1 team that won an Orange Bowl. He was the Coach of the Year by...everyone.

Since he left, they've been a bit above club level again.

Yeah he definitely made a difference, what's he doing these days?

16 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yeah he definitely made a difference, what's he doing these days?

He took time off after the firing, Then his wife was diagnosed with cancer and he took care of her.

A few years later he eventually became OC at Iowa St. for a year or two, but I don't think his heart was in it. When he took the job, he made the comment that "my wife wants me out of the house for a while".

There were small murmurs about him before MIles was hired..."could he?" "would he?". He tweeted a week ago, something like, "thanks for the support, but I'm not coming back to KU, I've moved on, everyone else should."

There are also very small murmurs about him taking over as successor to Bill Snyder at Kansas St. He made his bones there in the 90's, as a Snyder assistant.

I don't see that happening though.

• Like (+1) 1

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Kansas Set Hires Les Miles as New HC

Did anyone watch Kansas last weekend? If so, I told you guys about a high school sophomore that I watched play 3 years ago. He was the best high school athlete that I had ever seen. Anyways, he stayed with his commitment to Kansas because they offered him early. He was a midsession freshman All-American through ESPN. On Saturday he had 15 carries for 252 yards and 2 TDs. He caught 3 passes for 18 yards and threw a 9 yard TD as well. He gave Oklahoma fits!! Put the name Pooka Williams on your radar if you haven’t already. He’s Reggie Bush at USC. At 5’10” and 170 lbs he is averaging over 7 yards per carry.

I know that this is a total LAMP post but trust me, you won’t regret watching this kid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah, I knew about him, but that's only because I live in Jayhawk country. He was their big signing last year. The story was that LSU made a big recruiting push for him after his high school playoffs, but he said he'd already verbally committed to Kansas. 

I like that.

He's lived up to the preseason hype he got here.

PS.  He's missing all of the toes of his right foot.  Don't ask me how he runs like that.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2018 at 10:18 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Did anyone watch Kansas last weekend? If so, I told you guys about a high school sophomore that I watched play 3 years ago. He was the best high school athlete that I had ever seen. Anyways, he stayed with his commitment to Kansas because they offered him early. He was a midsession freshman All-American through ESPN. On Saturday he had 15 carries for 252 yards and 2 TDs. He caught 3 passes for 18 yards and threw a 9 yard TD as well. He gave Oklahoma fits!! Put the name Pooka Williams on your radar if you haven’t already. He’s Reggie Bush at USC. At 5’10” and 170 lbs he is averaging over 7 yards per carry.

I know that this is a total LAMP post but trust me, you won’t regret watching this kid.

Arrested yesterday, domestic battery, suspended from the team (for now).

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/public-safety/2018/dec/07/ku-football-player-pooka-williams-arrested-on-suspicion-of-domestic-battery/

1 hour ago, CookieG said:

Saw that today!! Some guys can’t stay out of trouble. I wonder if that’s how he ended up at Kansas in the 1st place?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.