• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The obituary for Carl Cavage - founder of Cavage's Records. :lol:

You remember those 8-track days, don't you? :huh:

http://www.buffalonews.com/deaths/result.a...tby=last_name#4

285556[/snapback]

WOW...Now there's a blast from the past.

While wondering about all the stores that have come and gone, how the heck does Valu hardware stay open. They never have more than 6 cars in any store lot at one time. Yet they have outlived Grossmans, Chase Pitkin, Builders Square & Busy Beaver. I'm not sure how they are going to survive in the long run against Home Depot & Lowes.

While wondering about all the stores that have come and gone, how the heck does Valu hardware stay open.  They never have more than 6 cars in any store lot at one time. Yet they have outlived Grossmans, Chase Pitkin, Builders Square & Busy Beaver.  I'm not sure how they are going to survive in the long run against Home Depot & Lowes.

285558[/snapback]

Do they still have those obnoxious commercials? Maybe thats keepin them going.

While wondering about all the stores that have come and gone, how the heck does Valu hardware stay open. They never have more than 6 cars in any store lot at one time. Yet they have outlived Grossmans, Chase Pitkin, Builders Square & Busy Beaver. I'm not sure how they are going to survive in the long run against Home Depot & Lowes.

The owners of Valu hardware are very smart people. They have been parking at Hammer's Lot ll for over 30 years. Dumb people do not park at Hammer's Lot ll.

Bulk advertising for a lot of stores, I also believe they have kept their cost down by expanding their stores with money in hand, no loans= no interest cost.

The obituary for Carl Cavage - founder of Cavage's Records. :lol:

You remember those 8-track days, don't you? :huh:

285556[/snapback]

Wow...I can honestly say I haven't thought of Cavages in years, but all the same, I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

But I do remember a certain K-Tel 8-track called Dynamite that had Roch-n-Roll Hootchie-Coo, Takin' Care of Business, This Flight Tonight, and a bunch of other great tunes on it. It was an X-mas present from... Cavages!

8-track......my mom won a 8 track player in a raffle, installed in the 73 Olds Cutlas (sp). Greatest thing to have in a car at the time until you had to jam folded paper under the tape to keep it on track.

Wow, that's too bad. One of my first jobs was working for them in their warehouse in Cheektowaga (where the Galleria is now) way, way back in my minimum-wage days. He was really cool... used to wax nostalgically about his railroad days. His favorite catch phrase was "UN-BELIEVABLE!" <_< I thought he'd be long gone by now, may he RIP. :)

Anybody remember the Twin Fair discount stores?

286050[/snapback]

Yes. The one in my neighborhood was on Elmwood. My brother-in-law used to call it "The Melting Pot". <_<

I also recall Maxims, their competitor on Hertel Avenue. There was a Henry's Hamburger there, too. 15 cents for a burger, 19 cents for a cheeseburger. Ernie Warlick owned the Henry's on Main Street.

Blasts from the past indeed. In Cheektowaga, Two Guys was next to K-Mart on Walden across from what is now the Walden Galleria. K-Mart is still there. Down one way towards Buffalo was the Thruway Mall and there was a Cavages in there where I do recall buying my first record album. Back down Walden the other way was an Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips (that has been a Mighty Taco for at least 20 years), Uncle Sam's and even further down the street heading towards Depew was a Twin Fair that became Gold Circle and across the street from that was a Drive In Movie Theatre. Also in that area on Dick Road was a Bells Supermarket, Carvel and of course, a Valu Home Center. In the same area over on Union Road were the Holiday Movie Theatres, Putt Putt and a bit further down was Kings. If anyone remembers Kings, I will owe you a beer. Got my first pair of baseball spikes at Kings and played Little League Baseball on the diamonds behind Kings. Next to Kings was Super Duper. Now it is a Tops Market. The only two places to survive that entire area were K-Mart and Valu. How did that happen?

Blasts from the past indeed. In Cheektowaga, Two Guys was next to K-Mart on Walden across from what is now the Walden Galleria. K-Mart is still there. Down one way towards Buffalo was the Thruway Mall and there was a Cavages in there where I do recall buying my first record album. Back down Walden the other way was an Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips (that has been a Mighty Taco for at least 20 years), Uncle Sam's and even further down the street heading towards Depew was a Twin Fair that became Gold Circle and across the street from that was a Drive In Movie Theatre. Also in that area on Dick Road was a Bells Supermarket, Carvel and of course, a Valu Home Center. In the same area over on Union Road were the Holiday Movie Theatres, Putt Putt and a bit further down was Kings. If anyone remembers Kings, I will owe you a beer. Got my first pair of baseball spikes at Kings and played Little League Baseball on the diamonds behind Kings. Next to Kings was Super Duper. Now it is a Tops Market. The only two places to survive that entire area were K-Mart and Valu. How did that happen?

286141[/snapback]

You are describing the neighborhood where I grew up! <_< I do remember Kings. I played my liitle league ball at Firemans Park in Depew off Transit Rd. In the late 80s the Putt Putt and Holiday showcase were hit by a tornado.

Anyone remember Spencer Gifts? I used to sneak into the one at the Seneca Mall (RIP Seneca Mall) when I was little and shopping with my mom. I'd go to the poster area and flip through the posters praying for a few posters with topless chicks in there. There always were. Then I'd get busted. Good times..good times....

Anyone remember Spencer Gifts? I used to sneak into the one at the Seneca Mall (RIP Seneca Mall) when I was little and shopping with my mom. I'd go to the poster area and flip through the posters praying for a few posters with topless chicks in there. There always were. Then I'd get busted. Good times..good times....

286165[/snapback]

I think they are still around. There is one in the Jacksonville, NC mall.

I remember seeing Top Gun and Raiders of the Lost Ark at the Seneca Mall Theatres. Two whole screens!!! Then walking over to the Ground Round for free popcorn. I grew up off of Potter Rd., so we used to walk to Seneca Mall all the time. In the last years of it's decline, I used to go walk it with my Grandpa so he could get some excercise. Nobody shopping and hundreds of seniors walking in circles. Once McKinley Mall went in, it was all over.

The obituary for Carl Cavage - founder of Cavage's Records. :)

You remember those 8-track days, don't you? <_<

http://www.buffalonews.com/deaths/result.a...tby=last_name#4

285556[/snapback]

I had a friend who worked at the Cavages at the old Como Mall (affectionately referred to as The Dawn of the Dead mall) during its last days. He'd always manage to give me the old five finger discount. The one I went to most though was the one at the Boulevard Mall, though I didn't care much for their selection. I preferred Sattler's record store at the same mall where I actually found a copy of the MC5's Kick out the Jams.

Remember also Record Runner and R.B.I. records at University Plaza?

R.B.I. was great because it had the most knowledgable staff in the suburbs.

I remember seeing Top Gun and Raiders of the Lost Ark at the Seneca Mall Theatres. Two whole screens!!! Then walking over to the Ground Round for free popcorn. I grew up off of Potter Rd., so we used to walk to Seneca Mall all the time. In the last years of it's decline, I used to go walk it with my Grandpa so he could get some excercise. Nobody shopping and hundreds of seniors walking in circles. Once McKinley Mall went in, it was all over.

286174[/snapback]

Potter Road. Didn't that go all the way into OP? I think there were kids I went to elementary school with that lived on Potter. I remember those stone animal statues near that big 70's style fireplace in the central area of the Seneca mall. I saw many movies there when I was younger. Back in the day, that was the mall for the southtowns. There was that, Como, Eastern Hills (I still have no idea where that one is) and another somewhere in the Williamsville/Amherst area. I forgot the name.

I grew up off of Potter Rd., so we used to walk to Seneca Mall all the time.

286174[/snapback]

I grew up off of Potter Rd. also ... In the area by the big tower on Dorance.

I remember walking over to the Seneca Mall to hang out at the places mentioned here ... Cavages, Spencers, Ground Round .... Those were the days.