Dennis Green Is Interested In Henry

Mark VI

How about this complicated trade?

Travis, the Bills' 2nd rounder, the Bills 5th rounder

for

LJ, the Cards 2nd rounder, the Cards' 6th rounder

285692[/snapback]

That's actually not a bad idea. It gives the Cards a little face saving. Doesn't really cost the Bills anything. I would definitely do that trade, and probably even do it if I were the Cardinals.

One thing people haven't considered much is that Shelton is not going to be on the Cardinals roster. They are not going to pay a guy 3 million to be a back-up. No matter what Henry says, he may be the Bills back-up if a trade is not made, and TD is a stubborn bastard. The Cards, for this reason, need to get something for Shelton or get nothing, while the Bills really don't. henry ain't gonna sit out, and he cannot cause trouble by pouting. The other players would beat the sh-- out of him. In fact, if we lose Henry, I think we need to sign a decent back-up. I don't like going into the season with just Joe Burns and Shaud Williams behind Willis with a history of injury.

That's actually not a bad idea. It gives the Cards a little face saving. Doesn't really cost the Bills anything. I would definitely do that trade, and probably even do it if I were the Cardinals.

One thing people haven't considered much is that Shelton is not going to be on the Cardinals roster. They are not going to pay a guy 3 million to be a back-up. No matter what Henry says, he may be the Bills back-up if a trade is not made, and TD is a stubborn bastard. The Cards, for this reason, need to get something for Shelton or get nothing, while the Bills really don't. henry ain't gonna sit out, and he cannot cause trouble by pouting. The other players would beat the sh-- out of him. In fact, if we lose Henry, I think we need to sign a decent back-up. I don't like going into the season with just Joe Burns and Shaud Williams behind Willis with a history of injury.

285709[/snapback]

That's some pretty coherent thinking there, Mr. Dog. I wonder if it's common wisdom within the league that in a situation like we're seeing between TD and Green, other teams just stay away from trying to get Henry or Shelton simply in the name of courtesy and respect. It happens more often than not in a lot of industries. Two companies are working something out, and while another company could swoop in and screw things up for one of the contenders, they just let it go and worry about their own deals.

Given it's a possibility, and with everyone hanging out in Hawaii, I wonder if the other teams GMS/owners/etc. say "Well, we kinda could use Shelton, but the Bills are pretty close to a deal so we'll look elsewhere."

That may not be too much of a stretch. And if possible, it helps us greatly.

One thing people haven't considered much is that Shelton is not going to be on the Cardinals roster.

Exactly Kelly....

TD has the leverage here with the Cardinals and he is going to play it. The Cardinals have already rebuilt their tackle position this offseason with the signing of Oliver Ross. They have played their hand and Shelton is not part of their plans.

I think the Bills actually like Shelton but they know he is likely going to be available whether they do this deal or not. He may not come to Buffalo if he is cut loose so the certainty of having him is probably worth something and either way we get him (waiver or trade)--it will probably be under a deal that has less cap impact this year than the current $3 Million because we will redo the deal to fit with current cap situation--turning some salary to bonus and spreading the impact over the remaining years of the deal or extending a year or two.

We should get more than Shelton for Travis. The Cards have made their moves and Shelton is more expendable to them than Travis is to us.

We will find a buyer for Travis--and I don't think Travis' comments (driven by his agent) hurt our position that much--the logical suitors (Cards, Bucs, Browns, Phins, etc.) are still there.....and Travis is the best experience/price/performance ratio on the market.

SOmething i would love to see in this draft is our top prospects to sign 6-7yr deals.  None of these 4 and 5yr deals.  WOuldn't you have loved to have Jonas under contract for another couple years?  New England makes all of their players sign six year deals. Wish we'd do the same.

285677[/snapback]

I'm not sure what the NE contract history is, but generally teams have had a desire to and players had a desire to sign deals which bound a player to a team beyond the 4 years it takes for them to become a UFA under the CBA when they are a 1st round pick a team is comfortable giving major bucks to.

Nate Clements for example will not become a UFA until after playing 5 season with the Bills though he could have achieved that status with a 4 year deal with the Bills (like Jennings had). The Bills decided he merited such a big contract that it made sense for him and the team to prorate that money over 5 years. Jennings, however, was slotted for a lower level of contract and neither he was not willing to take on another year being bound to the Bills unless the Bills were also willing to pay him more money than players got drafted at the same position.

Theoretically the Bills could have so much confidence in their ability to pick players that they would be willing to take a risk predicting events 5-6 years down the line numerous times (taking this risk on round 2, 3, etc players in addition to 1st rounders) but merely the occurence of injury makes this a bet you are going to lose several times no matter how much skill you have picking performing players.

In addition to this uncertainty which mitigatea against your plan. The CBA ends arioud 2008 and by extending contract times beyond this date you also subject yourself to a fairly unknowable risk. Teams can and will do this a little bit but I doubt they will do that as standard method or business or likely they will not be in business for long.