N.H.L draft to be cancelled

millbank

TORONTO (CP) - All events surrounding the NHL entry draft slated for Ottawa in June will officially be cancelled sometime this week, a source told The Canadian Press.

Sources indicate the announcement could come as early as Thursday.

The NHL has said repeatedly it would not hold an entry draft unless it had a new collective bargaining agreement in place with the NHL Players' Association.

The cancellation of draft-related events is likely needed because Ottawa-area hotels must have advance confirmation of rooms that would have been booked for hundreds of draft hopefuls and their families.

An entry draft will eventually take place once a collective bargaining agreement is in place with the players' union. It would likely be done by conference call rather than at a staged event.

-interesting in light of supposed next great player Sidney Crosby perhaps ending up a free agent.

NHL Draft

The nhlpa better get of their a$$es and realize that the owners aren't screwing around. Before you know it, it will be mid-summer, no serious progress will have been made and the owners will be telling the nhlpa to shove it and start the season with replacement players.

An entry draft will eventually take place once a collective bargaining agreement is in place with the players' union. It would likely be done by conference call rather than at a staged event.

-interesting in light of supposed next great player Sidney Crosby perhaps ending up a free agent.

285530[/snapback]

How will they determine the order of the draft if/when it occurs? They already had a draft based on the 2003-2004 season standings. It would be really unfair to have another one based on it (Tho the Sabres would get a pretty good pick...).

Maybe skipping a year might be a good thing. It always draws my ire that teams select a guy in the first round that you hear is great and then he doesn't play for the big club until 5 years later. It's the antithesis to the NFL where a team can plug a couple-few holes right away via the draft. That's something they really need to fix for hockey to even be considered interesting again.

TORONTO (CP) -

NHL Draft

285530[/snapback]

Read about the WHA staging a tournament in the May/June timeframe that looks pretty interesting, with a big pool of monet for the winner. In the same article talked about how Crosby and his agents are talking to the WHA and they may make a big play for him.

Man, is that Deja-Vu or what

The nhlpa better get of their a$$es and realize that the owners aren't screwing around.  Before you know it, it will be mid-summer, no serious progress will have been made and the owners will be telling the nhlpa to shove it and start the season with replacement players.

285564[/snapback]

A friend of mine follows hockey pretty closely and he said it is the players who are now dragging their feet on negotiations because they don't get paid in the summer anyway, but the owners are trying to sell season tickets for next year.

I agree with you though....the players better get it through their heads that the offers are only going to get worse for them the longer this goes on.

How will they determine the order of the draft if/when it occurs? They already had a draft based on the 2003-2004 season standings. It would be really unfair to have another one based on it (Tho the Sabres would get a pretty good pick...).

They could use the lottery system where each team gets a number of lottery balls in inverse order of the last season's standings, so the worst team would get 30, and the best 1. Then the order would be determined by the order the balls pop up in the machine. Of course this could lead to a situation like when the New York Knicks were "lucky" enough to get the 1st pick for Patrick Ewing.

A friend of mine follows hockey pretty closely and he said it is the players who are now dragging their feet on negotiations because they don't get paid in the summer anyway, but the owners are trying to sell season tickets for next year.

285671[/snapback]

since the owners have gone back to demanding a cap tied to revenues, waiting would not help the players either. and it probably isnt a smart idea to wait it out hoping the fans who float your game dont buy tickets. are the nhlpa the dumbest negotiators or what?

<------------------- #27 Left Defense for the Buffalo Sabres! in 2005-2006

5'6 179lbs....

Ill play for $40,000....

285889[/snapback]

<---------------- #00 The enforcer for the Sabres.

Do nothing but fight and piss people off.

6'6, 245.

I'll have xcapitanhookx's back...

I'll play for $60,000...

Man, I can't wait to see the replacement players out there and these scumbag "NHLers" sitting by, kicking themselves in the ass for not taking the deal...

285858[/snapback]

Absolutely no chance for replacement players in 2005-2006.

First, there has to be an "impasse" in negotiations. And they're can't be an "impasse" when there are no negotiations going on. If the league ties to file an impasse with the NLRB, NLRB will tell them that they need to get back to the bargaining table first.

Second, labor laws are different in Canada. In the US, labor issues are covered by the NLRB. In Canada, issues are covered by the individual provinces. So not only would the league need to file with the NLRB, they would also need to file with the provinces of BC, ALB, ONT and QC. Then, there would have to be arguments made by the NHL in all four provinces. Finally, there would need to be complete agreement by each Labor Board. And logistically speaking, that cannot be accomplished by October 2005.

For example, let's say that the NLRB declares an impasse, but the Ontario Board does not. What do you do with the Leafs and Senators? Do you think that the rest of the NHL will tell them "tough" and that "we will play without you"? Hardly.

Third, even if they eventually get to replacement players, the current labor laws do not allow "foreigners". This means that the 5 Canadian teams would need to be all-Canadian, and the American teams need to be all-American. Are they enough American players to stock 25 teams?

Fourth, there is no legal precedent for "replacement" workers in one country plying their trade in another country. Is it legal for American replacement workers to work their trade for their employer in Canada? That issue alone will take years for the court to decide.

Finally, the owners cannot afford to wait. If there is no collective bargaining in place, there can be no draft. And as soon as people turn 18, they will theoretically be able to sign with any team that they want for any amount of money. In theory, the rich teams could sign all of the best 18-year-olds. Do you think that Golsano will want that to happen?

Absolutely no chance for replacement players in 2005-2006.

First, there has to be an "impasse" in negotiations. And they're can't be an "impasse" when there are no negotiations going on. If the league ties to file an impasse with the NLRB, NLRB will tell them that they need to get back to the bargaining table first.

Second, labor laws are different in Canada.  In the US, labor issues are covered by the NLRB. In Canada, issues are covered by the individual provinces. So not only would the league need to file with the NLRB, they would also need to file with the provinces of BC, ALB, ONT and QC. Then, there would have to be arguments made by the NHL in all four provinces. Finally, there would need to be complete agreement by each Labor Board.  And logistically speaking, that cannot be accomplished by October 2005.

For example, let's say that the NLRB declares an impasse, but the Ontario Board does not. What do you do with the Leafs and Senators? Do you think that the rest of the NHL will tell them "tough" and that "we will play without you"? Hardly.

Third, even if they eventually get to replacement players, the current labor laws do not allow "foreigners". This means that the 5 Canadian teams would need to be all-Canadian, and the American teams need to be all-American. Are they enough American players to stock 25 teams?

Fourth, there is no legal precedent for "replacement" workers in one country plying their trade in another country. Is it legal for American replacement workers to work their trade for their employer in Canada? That issue alone will take years for the court to decide.

Finally, the owners cannot afford to wait. If there is no collective bargaining in place, there can be no draft. And as soon as people turn 18, they will theoretically be able to sign with any team that they want for any amount of money. In theory, the rich teams could sign all of the best 18-year-olds. Do you think that Golsano will want that to happen?

285898[/snapback]

The players will give in way before any of that.

Did anyone show them how dog shows, Texas Hold 'em and reruns of Friends kill them in ratings yet?

since the owners have gone back to demanding a cap tied to revenues, waiting would not help the players either.  and it probably isnt a smart idea to wait it out hoping the fans who float your game dont buy tickets. are the nhlpa the dumbest negotiators or what?

285845[/snapback]

I'd say so. Why they didn't take the $42MM offer and save the season is beyond me. The average team's salaries before the lockout where well below that number anyway. They can't really think they are going to do better, can they?

<---------------- #00 The enforcer for the Sabres.

Do nothing but fight and piss people off.

6'6, 245.

I'll have xcapitanhookx's back...

I'll play for $60,000...

285892[/snapback]

I'll play for beer and burritos. Although I refuse to wear that satanic goat jersey. I have an old Mike Hartman #20 home jersey I'll wear instead.