Haslett admits using steriods

Dan III

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05083/476887.stm

He described the introduction of steroids by the Bills to one of their new teammates in the 1980s.

"I played with a guy who came into the league, he came out of the USFL," Haslett said. "He was 270, and he would never have made our team if he didn't get up to 300. The linemen got him together, got him a little supplemental pill for the week and he got up to about 305 and made our team. And he's probably one of the all-time great players in Bills history. He was a great player."

While his description fits former Bills center Kent Hull, Haslett would not name him. Hull joined the Bills from the USFL New Jersey Generals in 1986 and played 11 seasons in Buffalo.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you beat me by about 5 minutes in posting this. at first I was surprised to think that Hull or any Bill was using the juice, but more than likey all linemen were using

He described the introduction of steroids by the Bills to one of their new teammates in the 1980s.

"I played with a guy who came into the league, he came out of the USFL," Haslett said. "He was 270, and he would never have made our team if he didn't get up to 300. The linemen got him together, got him a little supplemental pill for the week and he got up to about 305 and made our team. And he's probably one of the all-time great players in Bills history. He was a great player."

While his description fits former Bills center Kent Hull, Haslett would not name him. Hull joined the Bills from the USFL New Jersey Generals in 1986 and played 11 seasons in Buffalo.

285511[/snapback]

Did Kent Hull ever make it up to 300 pounds? Back then, 300 pound O-line men were not very common. If memory serves me, Howard Ballard was one of about 10 guys in the leauge, playing over 300 pounds, for a couple of years....

Either way, Haslett is obviously referring to Hull. If so, Haslett, who I loved as a player, is a bigger a-hole than I even remember. How catty is that, to say something like that, and give all the details, except the player's name, as if nobody would be able to figure it out...Jerk! Makes me all that much gladder that he is not the head coach of the Bills. If the Bills are his "dream team" to coach, dream on!

285511[/snapback]

Thanx Jim....Kent Hull and his family than you very much for ruining his chance at the hall of fame.Way to keep it a real MYSTERY with your description.Its this Sherlock Holmes type brilliance that makes you such a fine coach.

Thanx Jim....Kent  Hull and his family than you very much for ruining his chance at the hall of fame.Way to keep it a real MYSTERY with your description.Its this Sherlock Holmes type brilliance that makes you such a fine coach.

285528[/snapback]

I am tempted to write an old fashioned letter, on paper to "Haz" and let him know, as a Bills fan, he has just moved near the bottom of my list of "all-timers". At least Canseco had the stones to name names.

I am tempted to write an old fashioned letter, on paper to "Haz" and let him know, as a Bills fan, he has just moved near the bottom of my list of "all-timers".  At least Canseco had the stones to name names.

285529[/snapback]

I don't know if he is more stupid or more weasel. It s a close call.

I used to love Haz when he played for the Bills, but he does have a lot of RoidAssh*le in him.

IIRC Haz was a scab replacement player back in the day - for the JESTS no less.

That's when I started losing respect for him.

Hey Haz - :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Haslett said that in addition to himself, all the Bills Lineman used steroids and all but named Kent Hull among them. He also said all of the Steelers linemen in the 70's used them as well and that the Steelers linemen were so much stronger than anyone else that he wondered what was going on until he found out and started using himself. Haslett also said at least 50% of the players in the NFL used steroids in the early-mid 80's. Steorids were not illegal until 1990.

Mutterfeacker.

I wish the damn Aint's were coming up to Buffalo this year.

He does have to go to Pittsburg in 2006. But the Aint's won't be in Buffalo until 2009.

Maybe we need to make mass a road trip.

Did Kent Hull ever make it up to 300 pounds?  Back then, 300 pound O-line men were not very common.  If memory serves me, Howard Ballard was one of about 10 guys in the leauge, playing over 300 pounds, for a couple of years....

285526[/snapback]

"House" Ballard was the man. Damn I loved those teams.

don't the Saints play at the Ralph this year?

if so.....ooooooooooooooooooo boy....is he gonna get an earful!

285658[/snapback]

See three posts above. No, the Bills play in Nawlens this year. It is really too bad.

Naming other players, what a crappy thing to do. The fact that the league starting testing for it back then is proof enough you weren't the only one. Let the other players speak for themselves.

285661[/snapback]

He brought other players into this mess because he didn't want to be the only hit man. He obviously just wants some national attention. He is damn coward, plain and simple. If you're going to put yourself out there to get some attention, don't drag other with you against their will.

I wonder if this prick had enough courtesy to give Kent a call and warn him of the crap storm he just started.

"Hey, Kent, ole pal, sorry to bother you at dinner time, but I just had the funniest conversation with this reporter..."

And to think, I wanted him as the Bills' coach a year ago. :huh:

I don't see why anyone is shocked by what Haslett said....during the era when he played football, alot of the players took anabolic steroids like they were vitamins.

You may not like what Haslett or Jose Canseco said, but you can't stick your head in the sand and pretend steroids haven't been used in baseball and football. It's not only ileegal, it's cheating.

And what about hockey? The last NHL bargaining agreement did not allow for any drug testing. And look what happened to John Kordic? If they ever play again, I hope the new agreement allows for testing.