More evidence that the Schiavo case...

This simply isn't a left/right issue, or even a Dem/Repub issue, but a world vs. a hijacked country/party issue. In that sense it reveals these folks as the farthest thing from a Republicna as one can imagine.

The Terri Schiavo case is unbelievably complex, multilayered, too steeped in unknown or unknowable facts for me - indeed for most people - to have a fully informed opinion.

I don't know - and neither do any of you - if Michael Shiavo is trying to murder his wife or trying to fulfill her stated wishes for just such a scenario. I don't know what Terri Schiavo would want - and neither do you - because she didn't tell us via a living will. We have only the word of her husband who assures us that his wife once said she wouldn't want to be kept alive this way, and we have her parents, who love their daughter and desire only to care for her.

I do know that the Congress did the wrong thing, intervened where it had no Constitutional right, and solved nothing.

I also know that this is not an act of principle but an act of political football with Terry being tossed around as such. It is absolutely immoral what is occuring here and as a party we are getting killed over this. Look no further than the poll numbers and you see that we truly are in serious trouble. Why? Because the majority of americans on do not agree with this because the more people see Terry the more people realize that they would want to be allowed to pass and they are repulsed that a government would shred the constitution and states rights to keep them alive in order to distract folks from a indictment of its majority leader that is comming any day and to have an issue to run on in 2006 because we lied to them about the social security "crisis", Iraq and that tax cuts would turn the economy around.

This simply isn't a left/right issue, or even a Dem/Repub issue, but a world vs. a hijacked country/party issue. In that sense it reveals these folks as the farthest thing from a Republicna as one can imagine. 

The Terri Schiavo case is unbelievably complex, multilayered, too steeped in unknown or unknowable facts for me - indeed for most people - to have a fully informed opinion.

I don't know - and neither do any of you - if Michael Shiavo is trying to murder his wife or trying to fulfill her stated wishes for just such a scenario. I don't know what Terri Schiavo would want - and neither do you - because she didn't tell us via a living will. We have only the word of her husband who assures us that his wife once said she wouldn't want to be kept alive this way, and we have her parents, who love their daughter and desire only to care for her.

I do know that the Congress did the wrong thing, intervened where it had no Constitutional right, and solved nothing.

I also know that this is not an act of principle but an act of political football with Terry being tossed around as such.  It is absolutely immoral what is occuring here and as a party we are getting killed over this.  Look no further than the poll numbers and you see that we truly are in serious trouble.  Why?  Because the majority of americans on do not agree with this because the more people see Terry the more people realize that they would want to be allowed to pass and they are repulsed that a government would shred the constitution and states rights to keep them alive in order to distract folks from a indictment of its majority leader that is comming any day and to have an issue to run on in 2006 because we lied to them about the social security "crisis", Iraq and that tax cuts would turn the economy around.

285246[/snapback]

Wait a sec. Can you honestly tell me that you didn't know Bush and Co., including the fringe that controls congress, were leading to something like this?

Sorry, there are no excuses for ignorance.

Sorry, there are no excuses for ignorance.

285259[/snapback]

Irony...

all Hedd's takes seemed so filled with ye

Though it looks as though they're supposed to be funny

Oh, I believe in irony.

Predictably, he's not half the poster he wants to be,

There’s a shadow hanging over he.

Oh, irony comes daily.

Why he has to go on, I don’t know he doesn’t say.

He says something wrong, now I post about irony.

Irony, he makes it such an easy card to play.

So now he need's a place to hide away.

Oh, I believe in irony.

Irony...

Oh, I believe in irony.

Oh, irony comes daily.

Oh, I believe in irony.

285268[/snapback]

Paul?

Irony...

Oh, I believe in irony.

Oh, irony comes daily.

Oh, I believe in irony.

285268[/snapback]

That was...."sniff*.....great, man. :huh:

I also know that this is not an act of principle but an act of political football with Terry being tossed around as such.  It is absolutely immoral what is occuring here and as a party we are getting killed over this.  Look no further than the poll numbers and you see that we truly are in serious trouble.  Why?  Because the majority of americans on do not agree with this because the more people see Terry the more people realize that they would want to be allowed to pass and they are repulsed that a government would shred the constitution and states rights to keep them alive in order to distract folks from a indictment of its majority leader that is comming any day and to have an issue to run on in 2006 because we lied to them about the social security "crisis", Iraq and that tax cuts would turn the economy around.

285246[/snapback]

Please, I implore the rest of PPP to realise that LME is the only TRUE Republican out there.

Thank you. This message has been brought to you by the Bureau of the Department of Redundancy.

Please, I implore the rest of PPP to realise that LME is the only TRUE  Republican out there.

Thank you. This message has been brought to you by the Bureau of the Department of Redundancy.

285590[/snapback]

Actually I'm not. If you look at the latest CBS poll you'll see it found that 82 percent of the public was opposed to Congress and the president intervening in this case; 74 percent thought it was all about politics. If you look at the ABC poll you see that :

- 70% of Americans say it is inappropriate for Congress to involve itself in the Schiavo case.

- 67% of Americans “think the elected officials trying to keep Schiavo alive are doing so more for political advantage than out of concern for her or for the principles involved.” (Just 19% believe the elected officials are acting out of concern for her or their principles.)

- 58% of Republicans, 61% of independents and 63% of Democrats oppose federal government intervention in the case.

- 50% of evangelicals oppose federal government intervention in the case, just 44% approve of the intervention.

- 63% of Catholics and a plurality of evangelicals believe Schiavo’s feeding tube should be removed.

The fact is that in three little paragraphs, Tom Delay has called the woman with a liquified cerebral cortex a gift from God, compared her situation to his own, and used her to uncover a vast left-wing conspiracy determined to topple Tom DeLay and the values of conservatism. If you're crazy enough to believe that's true then you'll never understand why this wrong.

As far as being the only REAL Republican I've never claimed I was. I am indeed an ACTUAL Republican and its indisputable but don't worry about me. These are the folks you should be worrying about because they do think you're not a REAL Republican :

"David Davenport of the Hoover Institute, a conservative research organization beleives that, "When a case like this has been heard by 19 judges in six courts and it's been appealed to the Supreme Court three times, the process has worked - even if it hasn't given the result that the social conservatives want. For Congress to step in really is a violation of federalism."

Stephen Moore, a conservative advocate who is president of the Free Enterprise Fund, said: "I don't normally like to see the federal government intervening in a situation like this, which I think should be resolved ultimately by the family: I think states' rights should take precedence over federal intervention. A lot of conservatives are really struggling with this case."

Some more moderate Republicans are also uneasy. Senator John W. Warner of Virginia, the sole Republican to oppose the Schiavo bill in a voice vote in the Senate, said: "This senator has learned from many years you've got to separate your own emotions from the duty to support the Constitution of this country. These are fundamental principles of federalism."

"It looks as if it's a wholly Republican exercise," Mr. Warner said, "but in the ranks of the Republican Party, there is not a unanimous view that Congress should be taking this step."

=====

"My party is demonstrating that they are for states' rights unless they don't like what states are doing," said Representative Christopher Shays of Connecticut, one of five House Republicans who voted against the bill. "This couldn't be a more classic case of a state responsibility."

"This Republican Party of Lincoln has become a party of theocracy," Mr. Shays said. "There are going to be repercussions from this vote. There are a number of people who feel that the government is getting involved in their personal lives in a way that scares them."

=====

You and these rapture fundamentalists that want to turn our country into a religious theocracy (Delay said so in FRIDAY) just like Iran are not Republicans. Republicans believe in seperation of powers and states rights. What is occuring here is the rapid destruction of the Republican party by a group of a$$ clowns who sold my once great party out to these religious zealots in order to benefit themsleves. On that they will easily marginalize my party and for what?

You and these rapture fundamentalists that want to turn our country into a religious theocracy (Delay said so in FRIDAY) just like Iran are not Republicans.  Republicans believe in seperation of powers and states rights.  What is occuring here is the rapid destruction of the Republican party by a group of a$$ clowns who sold my once great party out to these religious zealots in order to benefit themsleves.  As this unfolds before America's eyes they will now associate conservatives like myself who aren't  bat sh1t loopy with people like you who clearly are.  On that they will easily marginalize my party and for what?

285610[/snapback]

You, sir, are either blind or retarded. I'm having a hard time deciding which. For the 5,852nd time, I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN.

If you hate what's become of "YOUR" party so much, why the !@#$ don't you leave it? It's obvious to me that you share more in common with center-left DEMOCRATS than conservative republicans, so why don't you join with them?

Again, I am NOT a republican, despite the fact that I voted for GWB. I made a choice. I voted for the lesser of two evils. Because you're deluding yourself if you think this country would have been better off under the "leadership" of that traitor John Kerry.

And yes, he was a traitor. He sold out his fellow servicemen to make political hay. Unforgivable.

So, LME, repeat after me....JoeSixPack is NOT a Republican.

I left the Republican party BECAUSE of the fact that. I'm a social conservative, but non-religious. Also, I left because of people like your heroes John McCain and that Chris Shays fellow. They are TOO moderate on economics for my liking, and far to willing to sell out principle to get along with Democrats.

You apparently have no problem with that. So be it, I could really care less.

L-M-E and JSP. Stop with the personal attacks. I edited both of your posts to remove it. Next time, I will not edit but just delete the whole friggin post and ban the offender.

Enough of the BS.

Hey, don't worry, be happy. Most Americans will forget all about Terry Schiavo, pseudo-Republicans, the Congress intervention, and this whole mess by Memorial Day.

Mmmm...Barbeque!

Mmm BBQ hot pockets!

Short attention span is the same with the war on terror. Much of the lemmings in this country have forgotten 9/11.

Give me American Idol! God!- over 200 posts about one of the stupidest shows ever invented.

285246[/snapback]

Too bad it was BI PARTISAN (know what that means??!!??) intervention by Congress in this case and pretty far from on-sided.

BUSH BAD!!!! BUSH BAD!!! FLIGHTSUIT!!!!!!!!!!!

And how, exactly was the "Constitution Shredded" here? By properly meeting all weekend to decide if the Judicial Branch should get involved at all and then going to the Executive Branch for signoff? Excuse me, but that is our government working EXACTLY how its intended to. And at the end of the day, know what the Judicial Branch said? NO THANKS...they arent getting involved.

But hey, you got an Iraq and SS reference in there....good work. Now go get your Hotpockets.

Mmm BBQ hot pockets!

Short attention span is the same with the war on terror. Much of the lemmings in this country have forgotten  9/11.

Give me American Idol!  God!- over 200 posts about one of the stupidest shows ever invented.

285848[/snapback]

Actually, it's just a cleverly disguised version of the Gong Show....

Actually, it's just a cleverly disguised version of the Gong Show....

285923[/snapback]

Do not mention The Gong Show in the same breath as that of the American Idol. The Gong Show was on a level of brilliance matched only by The $1.98 Beauty Pagent and perhaps Matchgame PM. That clown Ryan Seacrest can not hold the empty highball glasses of Chuck Baris, Rip Taylor, or even Gene Rayburn. The only thing that could make me tune into Idol would be an appearance by The Unknown Comic, JP Morgan, or Gene Gene the Dancing Machine.