Flashback: Antowain Smith argument...

SDS

Does anyone recall the knucklehead who was so sure that Smith was going to be a bust based upon some preseason numbers, etc... that he was going to write a term paper about it for stat class? Then in the face sound argument after sound argument he became beligerent with everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, to the point of absurdity????

It hink he may have been called Tidewater, but I'm not sure.

I was reminided of this knucklehead recently.

Does anyone recall the knucklehead who was so sure that Smith was going to be a bust based upon some preseason numbers, etc... that he was going to write a term paper about it for stat class?  Then in the face sound argument after sound argument he became beligerent with everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, to the point of absurdity????

285158[/snapback]

A review of Antowain Smith's career with the Bills indicates he was more right than wrong. Lasted 4 seasons, rushed for 2,932 yds (ave of 733 yds a season) , not exactly a home run for a 1st round pick. Released & we got nothing in return.

Does anyone recall the knucklehead who was so sure that Smith was going to be a bust based upon some preseason numbers, etc... that he was going to write a term paper about it for stat class?  Then in the face sound argument after sound argument he became beligerent with everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, to the point of absurdity????

285158[/snapback]

You mean 'run 2 yards and fall down' antowain??

285158[/snapback]

Wow man, that goes back to my lurking days. I believe it was Tidewater - What a piece of work that guy was.

Antowain Smith wasn't a bust?

285312[/snapback]

In his rookie year he had 194 rushes and averaged 4.3 yds per carry. His second year he rushed for 1124 yards on 300 caries, a 3.7 average. His third year he averaged 3.7 yds per carry, and 3.5 his last year in Buffalo.

Most would agree that those are pretty respectable numbers.

:huh: Antowain was an above average back who has played several years in the NFL as a starter, holds two Super Bowl rings, and may still land somewhere again for another year or two - hardly a bust. I think we have the same old problem here. If a player (a) didn't gain 1500 yards for eight years straight or (b) left the Bills, he is, by definition a loser. Poor Antowain failed on both counts - he will only get dissed by TSW, even if he has had a pretty good career by NFL running back standards.

:huh: Antowain was an above average back who has played several years in the NFL as a starter, holds two Super Bowl rings, and may still land somewhere again for another year or two - hardly a bust. I think we have the same old problem here. If a player (a) didn't gain 1500 yards for eight years straight or (b) left the Bills, he is, by definition a loser. Poor Antowain failed on both counts - he will only get dissed by TSW, even if he has had a pretty good career by NFL running back standards.

285318[/snapback]

I think it's a bit more complicated - this guy was a first round pick who purportedly made Thurman Thomas expendable... he was also a "power back" who broke one tackle a month... the backlash is understandable.

Regardless, the point was that this knucklehead trotted out bogus logic time and again to prove a point that couldn't be proven by his analysis. Whether Smith was a bust or not is irrelevent.

I wanted to see if anyone remembers that argument. It lacked the humor of the telephone pole thread, but it applied the same reasoning...

Antowain was a gamble, as I recall. Checkered college history, older than usual. Overall, not a huge success, but definitely not a bust either. Many first round picks (running backs) do better, but many also don't do as well. My point is that we deal in absolutes on TSW. When does anyone say anyone is "just OK" or a "pretty good pick"?

I have a vague recollection of the argument/thread and definitely remember Tidewater's brief stay. He got pissed at me and his idea of insulting me was telling me that I talk like Shakespeare. :huh:

I can't possibly imagine what thread would remind you of that....... :lol:

My point is that we deal in absolutes on TSW. When does anyone say anyone is "just OK" or a "pretty good pick"?

I see you just registered recently and don't know if you were around in another guise or as a lurker before this. If you are new, be patient, there are a lot of good posters here providing a wealth of information and opinion which is worth your time. Sometimes it just takes a little while to get good at picking through the flotsam and jetsam (i.e. the biggest mouths who speak only in superlatives and absolutes so that somebody will pay attention to them:) and learning what posters can consistently supply the best combination of reason and innovative thinking. Good luck

Cya