Defense bent but did not break.....

Still gave up over 300 yards passing and almost 400 yards total (last 10 minutes of the game a whole 5 yards).  They allowed NE to move the ball most of the night and if one of the first & goals results in a TD then it doesn't look as good.

Offense actually moved the ball some and held the ball the majority of the last 10 minutes.

Yes the defense is the best part of the team, but really let's not get carried away.    

Game wasn't fun to watch.

But - ignoring the scoreboard for a moment - there are some some interesting numbers in the box score.  For example, the Pats averaged 5.4 yards per play while the Bills averaged 5.3.  This would suggest a close game between evenly matched teams.

Then again, maybe that's why some folks say stats are for losers.  

We still gave up the underneath stuff and gave Brady a lot of time in the fourth on their big drive. Defense had three uncharacteristic third down stops, which limited the Patriots to 9 points to start. I'm not fawning over them, but it's clear defense is not the issue with this team.

8 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Game wasn't fun to watch.

But - ignoring the scoreboard for a moment - there are some some interesting numbers in the box score.  For example, the Pats averaged 5.4 yards per play while the Bills averaged 5.3.  This would suggest a close game between evenly matched teams.

Then again, maybe that's why some folks say stats are for losers.  

I honestly had fun watching our defense. And if not for already defeated confidence in our offense, I would have been ecstatic to the fact that with a competent offense we were 14/21-9 at the half, and 21/28-12 going into the 4th quarter. 

That being said, even with our pathetic offense, I still had hope at 9-3 and 9-6, but just knew we wouldn't score without some fluke play or penalty help. It was very much like watching a legion of boom seahawks game, before Seattle invested in Marshawn and some WRs for Russell. If I'm being completely honest, even after they scored the TD I thought the game was still within some reasonable realm of possibility that we show some competitive edge to round it out.

It's tangential to the comment, but relevant to the thread:

You can't expect your defense to hold out when it plays bend don't break, as it is predicated on offenses being able to extend drives and put up points. If our defense forces three and outs every Patriot drive, then 9-6 would have likely been the score going into the 4th. This isn't that type of D. The unfortunate thing is that a bend don't break defense relies on two things: 1) offense to score TDs, not FGs, TDs, and 2) stay on the field. It's pretty obvious but bend-don't-break d's spend A LOT of time on the field. But on a team with literally no offense, they can't outlast opposing offenses like we've seen dominant defenses of the past do with mediocre offenses.

Edited by ctk232

49 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Still gave up over 300 yards passing and almost 400 yards total (last 10 minutes of the game a whole 5 yards).  They allowed NE to move the ball most of the night and if one of the first & goals results in a TD then it doesn't look as good.

Offense actually moved the ball some and held the ball the majority of the last 10 minutes.

Yes the defense is the best part of the team, but really let's not get carried away.    

What? Seriously, are you just trolling? The defense gave up 9 points in the first half. NINE. They forced NE to all but abandon the run game and made Brady throw 45 times. They ended up being responsible for giving up 18 points vs the Patriots. It's the offenses fault 100%. 

Edited by quinnearlysghost88
  • Like (+1) 1

The point is that yes the defense played well, but quit getting ahead of yourselves and claiming this is a top 5 SB defense.  NE moved the ball and if they score on one of the first and goals or make the FG at half it doesn't look as good.  

Conversely the offense moved the ball, though only 6 points and actually the time of possession fairly even and NE still had 400 yards of offense (which the Bills haven't all season). 

They played well at home on a Monday night, but quit fawning over them.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, fridge said:

We still gave up the underneath stuff and gave Brady a lot of time in the fourth on their big drive. Defense had three uncharacteristic third down stops, which limited the Patriots to 9 points to start. I'm not fawning over them, but it's clear defense is not the issue with this team.

Actually I will fawn over this defense.  We almost shut out Minnesota.  We should've shut out Houston if not for the turnovers. We held NE to 4 fgs half way into the 4th.  At one point we were 3rd in defense. And one important factor that few are discussing is how demoralized this defense must be watching Dabols' boys crap the bed all year.

I've been waiting for the defense to play a game like this! Bending but not breaking is the key to success against a team like the Patriots. Bill Belichick's defensive philosophy is largely based on this very premise.

It's like the first time a McDermott era defense gave up yardage, but got stingy when it mattered in our own zone. Field goals are defensive victories.

For all the well deserved criticism the organization is receiving, the defensive performance last night was outstanding.

• Like (+1) 2