Bills Being Very Active approaching Trade Deadline?

23 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I think they might be buyers instead of sellers (aside from KB). 

I really don't see any reason to move Shady. Still the best player they have and is a good safety net for Allen when he needs to check down. A lot of people on here have lamented the fact that the organization has failed Allen by not surrounding him with enough talent yet those same people will be the first to say, "Trade Shady!" Kinda counter-intuitive, right?

No, they can't get enough players now to make a difference, so keeping an aging shady who won't be here anyway is foolish , trade him while we can.

If we were smart we would have traded him and Tyrod before last year and then we could have had a shot at the top pick in the draft and not trade any assets for Allen and Edmunds.

9 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Buyers?  Why in the F'ing hell would the 2-5 Bills be buyers?  

Contrary to popular belief on this here board, they do have a long-term plan in effect and could look to add some younger players that they can develop for the future.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

So the theory is that teams will be trading away solid players will multi-year favorable contracts who aren't physically at the end of their football life away at the deadline instead of rental players for a playoff push?

I doubt the contracts are as favorable to every team as they would be to the Bills. 

26 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What do we have left to sell and why? 

Several veterans including one of the top RBs in the league.

Why? B/c this season is lost, we are in the midst of a partial-tank lost season, and the team is being rebuilt pretty comprehensively.

5 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Contrary to popular belief on this here board, they do have a long-term plan in effect and could look to add some younger players that they can develop for the future.

So trade someone like Shady for a good young prospect?  That's still a seller right, only a young player instead of a draft pick.

31 minutes ago, CDogg20 said:

Exactly, dont get rid of the guy who has been Allens biggest supporter. 

But...

If it somehow turns out like Faulk leaving Manning and we end up with an Edgerin James out of the deal you won’t hear me complaining. 

Well THERE'S something that's never been done in Buffalo.

Trade your RB and waste a 1st round pick on his replacement.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No, they can't get enough players now to make a difference, so keeping an aging shady who won't be here anyway is foolish , trade him while we can.

If we were smart we would have traded him and Tyrod before last year and then we could have had a shot at the top pick in the draft and not trade any assets for Allen and Edmunds.

Who says they're trying to get players that will make an immediate difference? Just because a trade could happen at this current point in time doesn't mean they're looking to get players that are immediately going to contribute. There's a plan. They've said it a million times, not only are they always looking to improve for right now but also for the future as well. 

To your second point, you act as if pulling off a Taylor/Shady trade is just that easy. It takes two to tango. And it takes a respectable offer from other teams to even consider trading a player like Shady. Besides that, they've said several times that they intend to keep Shady through this season and beyond. I understand the idea behind trading him, I do, but at this point he's still the best player on offense. And many fans are already irritated with Beane that he didn't add enough pieces to the offense, therefore seeing Allen's position as the starter as unfair due to the lack of weapons. Well, how would anyone expect measurable progress from Allen when they continue to handicap him by removing any of the talent that's currently there? And the media would have a field day with that. Sure, right now there are a handful of them calling for them to trade Shady. If they go ahead and trade him, all those dudes will turn around and scream about how incompetent this front office is and how unfair to Allen they're being by trading away the only decent player on offense, etc. etc. Just seems like a lose-lose situation for them. And I don't see many teams offering more than a 4th round pick and I'd say "no thanks" to that all day.

And I understand whatever front office people say has to be taken with a grain of salt but they've said before, guys like Shady, Hughes, etc. are firmly in place for their future plans. They've also said that they are now looking to build up the roster as opposed to tearing it down even more. They feel like they've laid a decent foundation, now they wanna build the house. They can start doing a little bit of that if they decide to add some players via trade and then continue the process in the off-season. 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

At what point do we stop selling good football players for unknown draft picks?

The point is selling good old players for high round draft picks to help a team that is rebuilding.  No point in the Bills holding on to Shady for his last few years for a rebuild.  Not good for the team long term or fair to Shady.

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CookieG said:

Well THERE'S something that's never been done in Buffalo.

Trade your RB and waste a 1st round pick on his replacement.

Well in this case it wouldn’t be a waste. Shady is at the end of his career on a big contract. A rookie would be at the beginning of his career on a 4-5 year cost controlled deal.

8 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

So trade someone like Shady for a good young prospect?  That's still a seller right, only a young player instead of a draft pick.

Maybe? You're right, a trade doesn't always mean picks for players, we're just used to saying that because we want/expect the Bills to keep loading up on draft capital.

If you're trading Shady for another player, it has to be a position of need for them and might even need to come with an extra draft pick. He's had a tough year but he hasn't really had much of an OL and when he's had his chances, he's shown he still has it. 

And I think it's just fine for the team. You mentioned how keeping Shady is "not good for the team and unfair for Shady." First off, they don't owe Shady or any other player anything. This is business. Yeah, sometimes a team will deal a player to a contender as a sign of respect or whatever but that's not something that's owed. And I don't see how it's "bad for the team" to keep a well-respected veteran, and now a captain, a player that other players look up to, can be seen as bad for the team. On top of that, this next draft does not have a deep class of running backs like the last few drafts have had. Maybe they intend to keep Shady for the duration of his contract with an eye on some 2020 RB prospects to eventually take over for him. Deal Shady and what are they left with? Chris Ivory, who is a decent player but doesn't have that "make something out of nothing" ability like Shady has. Marcus Murphy is OK but he's really overrated by some people on this board. He struggles with blocking and pick up blitzes, which is why he's been a scratch several times this season. Who do they have after that? Keith Ford? 

I understand the reasoning behind trading Shady... but why create another hole? They have enough of them and they're leaning on Shady to be a leader right now.

2 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Who says they're trying to get players that will make an immediate difference? Just because a trade could happen at this current point in time doesn't mean they're looking to get players that are immediately going to contribute. There's a plan. They've said it a million times, not only are they always looking to improve for right now but also for the future as well. 

To your second point, you act as if pulling off a Taylor/Shady trade is just that easy. It takes two to tango. And it takes a respectable offer from other teams to even consider trading a player like Shady. Besides that, they've said several times that they intend to keep Shady through this season and beyond. I understand the idea behind trading him, I do, but at this point he's still the best player on offense. And many fans are already irritated with Beane that he didn't add enough pieces to the offense, therefore seeing Allen's position as the starter as unfair due to the lack of weapons. Well, how would anyone expect measurable progress from Allen when they continue to handicap him by removing any of the talent that's currently there? And the media would have a field day with that. Sure, right now there are a handful of them calling for them to trade Shady. If they go ahead and trade him, all those dudes will turn around and scream about how incompetent this front office is and how unfair to Allen they're being by trading away the only decent player on offense, etc. etc. Just seems like a lose-lose situation for them. And I don't see many teams offering more than a 4th round pick and I'd say "no thanks" to that all day.

And I understand whatever front office people say has to be taken with a grain of salt but they've said before, guys like Shady, Hughes, etc. are firmly in place for their future plans. They've also said that they are now looking to build up the roster as opposed to tearing it down even more. They feel like they've laid a decent foundation, now they wanna build the house. They can start doing a little bit of that if they decide to add some players via trade and then continue the process in the off-season. 

You don't trade for players that don't make an immediate difference. You don't trade for players you hope will be good, that is what the draft is for and no team is going to give up their young talent that they are trying to develop.

Look the season is over .we can only lose TWO more games this year just to equal lasts year's record that just  got us in the playoffs by the skin of our teeth and we still have to play the Patriots twice.

We have done great drafting and so so in pro player acquisitions, I'd rather have the picks.