On this day in history Ralph Wilson awarded AFL franchise

..invested 25 grand in 1960 for a franchise with Buffalo being his 2nd choice (BIG money then).........loaned 400 grand to Oakland to keep them afloat in the fledgling AFL....offered a loan to the then Boston Patriots who politely declined.....parlayed the 25 grand into $1.4 BILLION with sale to Pegulas, ALL of which must be dispersed to charities within 20 years of his passing.......not much else to say but "thank you Mr. Wilson for a job well done (RIP)"...........

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

That would leave WNYers with Jets, Giants, Steelers maybe even the Browns.  

Oh mercy! I don’t even want to think of that world! If you had to pick one....I hope I’d have gone Steelers, or with another sport. 

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

Oh mercy! I don’t even want to think of that world! If you had to pick one....I hope I’d have gone Steelers, or with another sport. 

Possibly but I’d say many would stick with the NY connection.   

Those that would want to travel 4 or more hours in WNY would go Cle it Pitt

Those in the Albany area New Jersey  

32 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Possibly but I’d say many would stick with the NY connection.   

Those that would want to travel 4 or more hours in WNY would go Cle it Pitt

Those in the Albany area New Jersey  

Oh, you mean the New Jersey teams?   ?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

If you were old enough to be a fan during the 1960's you most likely would have chosen Cleveland over Pittsburgh.  The Browns were still very good and Pittsburgh did not become the franchise they are known for today until 1970.  Actually, the Steelers were very terrible from 1940 to 1971.

5 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

If you were old enough to be a fan during the 1960's you most likely would have chosen Cleveland over Pittsburgh.  The Browns were still very good and Pittsburgh did not become the franchise they are known for today until 1970.  Actually, the Steelers were very terrible from 1940 to 1971.

That’s why I have to hope, I know what’s happened since!  ?

When I think of NFL owners, it isn't  just Ralph turning 25-50k into 1.4 billion.   its all the money made over decades of seasons.    Buffalo made Ralph Wilson some serious coin,    He made a lot more than just the 1.4 billion.   I mean its easy complaining about overpaid athletes, but their salaries and contracts are known.   The average fan can't say what owner x made this year  but they can tell you Kalil Mack's contract, years,  and signing bonus. 

i do salute Ralph for giving it away after he was gone.