Media trying to get McDermott fired.

20 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Well a ton have folks have reported that.  But you believe whatever fits your agenda.

I do agree that the blowouts need to stop.  My concern is the slow starts, some games they just don't seem ready to go.  That is a thing the coach needs to get hold of.

My problem with McDermott's teams is not slow starts. It's that when things go poorly, they spiral out of control. That's why we've seen so many blowouts.

The sign of a well lead team is the ability to handle some adversity and respond. It's the same thing with red zone defense. We either get a 3 and out or it's a touchdown. 

We all know this team doesn't have talent, but they've also shown zero ability to adjust and fight back when things go poorly. If you can beat the Vikings, you should be able to make a few stops against the Colts in order to keep things competitive. That is not a good look.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I was watching  channel 2 news this morning and Adam Benini and Vic Carrucci were saying that with the way this team is playing that McDermott JUST HAS TO BE on the hot seat. Then they bemoan how bad they played against the Colts and it's just unacceptable for the defense to give up all those points to the 1-5 colts.

Maybe they forgot how critical turnovers are (from the offense) to getting blown out. Guess they forgot how we demolished the Vikings at home and that a superior team can get their butts handed to them by a lesser team.

What I find sad is these clowns can't see the long game that is going on here and that this offseason is going to be used to finish most of the rebuild that is taking place.

McDermott is going nowhere.

Nooo, you are off just a bit on   Dermott and his hand pick puppet Beane. They are doing this all by their incompetent selves. They should have never been hired ... Goes to show the Palugas don't have a clue. They never should have left SWARTZ out of the building when Marone walked out. We would still  have  atop four offense with young players and only would have  to worry about the offense     

Edited by liverpoolkev

1 hour ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Your post is *****.  Carucci is respected nation wide in football circles and Begnini does a good job in my opinion.  The team is 2-5, gets blown out 50% of the time and the McDermott/Peterman saga has been national embarrassment on more than one occasion over two seasons.  Continuity is one thing, continuity of suck and embarrassment is another.  They have bungled not only the QB position but the entire offense.  The offense is bad enough that unless Allen is great next season, it is probably going to be pretty bad next year as well. 

Yellow journalism, lmao.  If the Bills and McDermott don't want to be criticized and questioned, put a better product on the field.  Not only is the offense the worst in the league, it is worse than any we had during the entire 17 year drought.  McDermott is lucky he is in a small market like Buffalo where most of the media will cower to his browbeating.  If he were in NYC, Boston, etc., he would have already been torn a new *****.

You're precisely the type of knee jerk, short attention spanned, "What have you done for me this second" supposed fan I'm talking about. I've been reading Carucci's stuff for nearly 30 years. I even met him and listened to him in a stadium booth once. I used to call his show back in the 90s. He has changed since he's come back to the Buffalo News. He uses the sensationalist tactics (look up Yellow Journalism) I have explained like so many do these days... to sell papers, get ratings, etc. It works on a lot of American suckers. Based on your overreaction, you likely have no clue what I'm even talking about. Can't wrap your head around these concepts, like most Americans these days. Probably an Amazon Prime member too, eh? Gotta have your stuff NOW! Read a book sometime or sit with just your thoughts. Might actually sharpen things a bit and teach you some patience.

Firing McDermott would solve nothing as of now.... just make things worse. He's been the HC for what? 24 games? You think coming in with a completely new regime, an owner who has had the team for 4 years, and rebuilding Rex Ryan's crap show along with Whaley's ridiculous contracts can be done in a year and a half? Again, you're right there at the top of the instant gratification crowd I'm talking about. Someone had to bite the bullet and completely rebuild this team, stick their neck out and take a chance on a possible franchise QB and "change the culture" on this perennial loser.  Name me a regime under Ralph Wilson who took these risks... They were too worried about holding onto their jobs as long as possible and Wilson sure wasn't going to pay that management or coaching. Everyone else in the NFL was strongly hinting at it for years. Top coaches/GMs wouldn't come here. We now have only the 2nd owner in this franchise's history. He is the 7th richest NFL owner as of now and willing to spend whatever necessary to produce a winner, and after 4 years as owner, fans like you and some of the others on here and elsewhere want him to clean house AGAIN and start over. Here's an idea Sparky... how about you consider the concept that a successful NFL franchise isn't built in a day. Defense has made strides... the offense is next, once they have some cap space and draft picks to address it. Bottom out and build back up. 

45 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I did. We DID make the playoffs last year. All off season McDermott and Bean e trumpeted the win and rebuild line.  I expected we would have a starting QB that could actually play the position.  I didn't expect our O to be dead last in points by a wide margin.  I fully expected us to be at least competitive. I did not expect our D to give up an average of 25Points per game.

this is not a to be expected rebuild, it's a train wreck of  a train hauling burning tires IMHO.

With all that dead money, trading Tyrod, depending on a rookie Qb.  I really thought they would win 4 to 6 games this year.  The defense does surprise me, I thought we would loss a lot or 3 point games, but there getting crushed.  The simple truth is it going to take 2 steps back to take a giant step forward.  

I think this offseason is going to be a rude awakening for people that think our cap space is going to solve a lot of our problems. BB will need to hit on a lot of those draft picks and hope like hell Allen makes a big leap going into next year.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I think this offseason is going to be a rude awakening for people that think our cap space is going to solve a lot of our problems. BB will need to hit on a lot of those draft picks and hope like hell Allen makes a big leap going into next year.

right.... I cant think of any off the top of my head. when was the last time a team with a bunch of cap was able to nail a bunch of FA signings and turn things around. it seems to really not work like that.

9 minutes ago, clearwater cadet said:

With all that dead money, trading Tyrod, depending on a rookie Qb.  I really thought they would win 4 to 6 games this year.  The defense does surprise me, I thought we would loss a lot or 3 point games, but there getting crushed.  The simple truth is it going to take 2 steps back to take a giant step forward.  

Remains to be seen and far from a given.

At the risk of sounding like a guy that is happy to go 9-7, before we decide we need to dump everything because we can never win the SB with what we have (no way of knowing really), how about we just try to be competitive for a while and build from there?  Too late now I guess.

I hope you're right.

Edited by reddogblitz

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

They will be singing his praises when this team gets the offensive talent it needs next offseason.

McD got the team to the playoffs in his first year....he is not going ANNNNYYYYWHEEERE

Do yo expect 2-3 starting lineman, 2-3 WR, a new feature RB, TE? a legit veteran QB... The offense needs a lot of work. Not sure there are enough players available to fill those gaps

2 minutes ago, clearwater cadet said:

....and logically, realistically and painfully, McDermott does have a learning curve as a HC.....blasphemy among the TBD experts though......some coordinators eventually graduate successfully and other do not, returning to their coordinator positions...SUCCESSFULLY........didn't the Browns can some HC clown named Belichick?....wasn't Wade our HC who was eventually in Dallas, Houston, and Denver in HC roles, but has now returned to DC at 70 young with Rams?.....Schwartz from Lions HC to Bills' DC to Eagles DC where he seems to be most comfortable?...wasn't Hugh successful as Bengals' OC but bombed in Oakland as HC followed by a stellar 1-31 record as Browns HC?....Gus Bradley?....Pat Shurmer, etc?.....will McDermott broaden his defensive background and become a HC with "picture overall game manager"?....or does he resurface as a bonafide DC somewhere if the "OBD experiment" fails?....hell if I know............

25 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

McD got rid of (or let walk) Gillilslee (playing well for the Bills at the time), Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, Glenn, and Tyrod Taylor.  The replacements (judgement reserved on Allen) are not as good.

You can't say a HC's performance was handicapped by a lack of talent when that HC created this situation.

again with the "well its his fault that he got rid of the offensive talen"

THEY WERE OVERPAID AND NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO GET THE TEAM TO THE NEXT LEVEL.........they were late to meetings...they were bitching in the locker room.....they were not part of the team that McD envisioned.....and they cost too much to retain.

Shall we go 8 and 8 for the rest of eternity or shall we try something different?   This is something different.

10 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

right.... I cant think of any off the top of my head. when was the last time a team with a bunch of cap was able to nail a bunch of FA signings and turn things around. it seems to really not work like that.

And it's not like Buffalo is a big draw for free agents. I can't imagine too many WR's wanting to come here until our QB situation is quite a bit more positive.

Just now, klos63 said:

And it's not like Buffalo is a big draw for free agents. I can't imagine too many WR's wanting to come here until our QB situation is quite a bit more positive.

yup. its gonna take drafting and some wins. really all there is too it. 

all I really can see that money doing is giving us the luxury to slightly overpay for some depth at some positions of need..... so maybe that's a draw for a handful of FA's

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

THEY WERE OVERPAID AND NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO GET THE TEAM TO THE NEXT LEVEL.........they were late to meetings...they were bitching in the locker room.....they were not part of the team that McD envisioned.....and they cost too much to retain.

Shall we go 8 and 8 for the rest of eternity or shall we try something different?   This is something different.

Woods was late to meetings and a locker room cancer? And Goodwin? And Glenn? And Tyrod??

Anyway, yes. Again.  If you throw away what talent you have, without a cogent plan for their replacements,  you only have yourself to blame when the predictable outcome manifests.

• Like (+1) 2

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
32 minutes ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

You're precisely the type of knee jerk, short attention spanned, "What have you done for me this second" supposed fan I'm talking about. I've been reading Carucci's stuff for nearly 30 years. I even met him and listened to him in a stadium booth once. I used to call his show back in the 90s. He has changed since he's come back to the Buffalo News. He uses the sensationalist tactics (look up Yellow Journalism) I have explained like so many do these days... to sell papers, get ratings, etc. It works on a lot of American suckers. Based on your overreaction, you likely have no clue what I'm even talking about. Can't wrap your head around these concepts, like most Americans these days. Probably an Amazon Prime member too, eh? Gotta have your stuff NOW! Read a book sometime or sit with just your thoughts. Might actually sharpen things a bit and teach you some patience.

Firing McDermott would solve nothing as of now.... just make things worse. He's been the HC for what? 24 games? You think coming in with a completely new regime, an owner who has had the team for 4 years, and rebuilding Rex Ryan's crap show along with Whaley's ridiculous contracts can be done in a year and a half? Again, you're right there at the top of the instant gratification crowd I'm talking about. Someone had to bite the bullet and completely rebuild this team, stick their neck out and take a chance on a possible franchise QB and "change the culture" on this perennial loser.  Name me a regime under Ralph Wilson who took these risks... They were too worried about holding onto their jobs as long as possible and Wilson sure wasn't going to pay that management or coaching. Everyone else in the NFL was strongly hinting at it for years. Top coaches/GMs wouldn't come here. We now have only the 2nd owner in this franchise's history. He is the 7th richest NFL owner as of now and willing to spend whatever necessary to produce a winner, and after 4 years as owner, fans like you and some of the others on here and elsewhere want him to clean house AGAIN and start over. Here's an idea Sparky... how about you consider the concept that a successful NFL franchise isn't built in a day. Defense has made strides... the offense is next, once they have some cap space and draft picks to address it. Bottom out and build back up. 

I know all about yellow journalism, William Randolph Hearst, and probably have as good or better understanding of what is and how it is used than 90% of the population.  The team is terrible and we have the worst offense in the NFL in 3 freaking decades, when the league has made it easier to move the ball than ever. 

The fact that you called me sparky just tells me you are probably more old school and you probably have the same misguided idea on how to build a football team that McDermott does.  Let me help you out.  Defense means nothing until you have an offense.  In today's NFL, you need an All-Pro at every position to stop the great offenses from scoring 30 or more.  If you gut the offense and build the defense first, you stand no chance.  Even if you have a very good defense by today's standards, you are going to get blown out on the regular if you don't have an offense.  If you gut your offense and build your defense first, the chances of you getting a formidable offense together before that defense falls apart is almost zero.  It is folly.  Defenses don't stay good for long.  The offense seriously needs 3 starting interior lineman, a #1 and #2 receiver, Clay will be gone soon, so another TE as well.  Oh yea, I almost forgot the QB is still a big question mark.  Then if we get those things, they all still need to gel.

Before those things happen, Jerry Hughes will be past his prime.  Lorax and Kyle Williams will be retired.  Hyde will probably be at the end of his prime.  Murphy will likely be close to done.  Star already looks like he is on the decline and  he will be done by the time we get the offense together if we do.  Then it will also be about time to re-sing Milano, Tredavious, Edmunds and Harrison Phillips if the latter two pan out.  Guess what?  You just spent the last 2-3 years getting blown out regularly and now if you are lucky enough to put that offense together, your defense is going to go through a mini rebuild itself.

It is passing league.  It is and offensive league.  If you don't have an offense you have nothing.  To win in today's NFL, you need to have an offense and if you are a new regime, you need to build the offense first or you are at a disadvantage to everyone who is smart enough to do it the right way.  Please do not tell me about the defensive strides because it pretty much means nothing.  The offense is bad enough right now where Allen is going to have to turn into John freaking Elway next year for this offense not to be terrible.

I as of now am not calling for McDermott to be fired, but he is the head coach and he needs to take responsibility for the mess he has put on the field.  It would be one thing if the offense was bad but it is historically bad in a time where it is easier than ever to have a good one.  Also the Peterman situation from start to finish has been a total embarrassment that would shake the confidence in McDermott of any reasonable, non homer fan.  Do you care to explain that decision sparky?  It criticizing starting Nathan Peterman yellow journalism or just people doing their job. 

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Do yo expect 2-3 starting lineman, 2-3 WR, a new feature RB, TE? a legit veteran QB... The offense needs a lot of work. Not sure there are enough players available to fill those gaps

No....but if we fill MOST of those gaps we actually will not know the difference because the play will be considerably improved.

For instance....if a quality LG and RG are inserted into the lineup.....whoever plays Center will not be a notible deficiency because it will be covered up.......

If we get a go to WR that can gain separateion and get mismatches...it will open it up for everyone else on the field

if we get TE that can catch a contested ball AND block for the run....our running game will look much improved.

Basically....get guys that can run Deboll's system.......they dont necessarily have to all be expensive free agents either....just guys that have the skills to actually run the damn thing

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Woods was late to meetings and a locker room cancer? And Goodwin? And Glenn? And Tyrod??

Anyway, yes. Again.  If you throw away what talent you have, without a cogent plan for their replacements,  you only have yourself to blame when the predictable outcome manifests.

Woods did not want to stay here sir!  He wanted to go closer to home and when free agency came he bolted.  He was also playing with lingering injury issues two years in a row.

WIth Goodwin his heart for the game was questioned (by the way...he is not a primary receiver where he is at....would have def been our deep threat though)

Glenn had a lower body injury that lingered for 2 years......also a player I hated to see go but he was needed as a chip to moveup in the draft

Tyord is the epitome of letting go of 8 and 8 to be bad for a year but be better on the other side of it.

There are reasons why every single one of those players are not here....and the only way you keep them is to overpay them.

I think McDermott will get longer than just 2019. Drafted players need to mature and produce. The right players have to be added by free agency. This cant be done in two offseasons. I think he gets through the 2020 season so he has a chance to get free agents and see what kind of players his draft picks turn into. Then if McD/Beane get fired it will be because Allen didnt develop and a new coach/GM can wipe the slate clean. 

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I love this sentiment that if you don't want to tank and have 2 or bad seasons in a row in the hopes that maybe we might be good someday, then you are happy with 8-8- forever.  Dumb. there is more than one way to skin a cat.   how about we get competitive and stay there a few years.  Establish yourselves as a place FAs WANT to come to  Doubt seriously quality Offensive FAs will be lining up to sign on with the worst offense in the NFL on one of the worst teams in the NFL.  We'll have to pay which will put us in, you guessed it, cap hell all over again.

Winning begets winning. Losing begets more losing usually.

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

I love this sentiment that if you don't want to tank and have 2 or bad seasons in a row in the hopes that maybe we might be good someday, then you are happy with 8-8- forever.  Dumb. there is more than one way to skin a cat.   how about we get competitive and stay there a few years.  Establish yourselves as a place FAs WANT to come to  Doubt seriously quality Offensive FAs will be lining up to sign on with the worst offense in the NFL on one of the worst teams in the NFL.  We'll have to pay which will put us in, you guessed it, cap hell all over again.

Winning begets winning. Losing begets more losing usually.

There are more then 2 ways to skin a cat - Yes

This is the way they decided to skin the cat

We can either live with it and look forwarded to seeing the finished product of it.....or whine I guess