How Has Your Opinion Changed Or Not Re Trump?

3rdnlng

There's not much doubt that back in 2016 nearly everybody here at PPP thought Trump was boorish and an embarrassment to our country. His policies were generally viewed as positive for this country but it was difficult to accept the man himself. The general disdain of Hillary is what won him the election. She was hated more than he was disliked.

After nearly two years, all with facing hurricane force headwinds by the dems, he has delivered on most of his promises and has taken on issues that his predecessors failed to even attempt to address. We all know about the economic improvements, judicial appointments and trade improvements he's brought about. His administration has also started to tackle the big issues regarding Iran, North Korea and a nuclear weapons treaty with Russia. We've had several natural disasters and the Federal government has partnered with the states in a competent manner to deal with them.

I personally absolutely love the direction he is taking us while simultaneously tuning out his narcissism. What about you?

There is no question that he is making progress in areas where others have failed. Politicians do not want to solve problems. As long as the problems still exist, they have talking points for election time. Therefore, there is no incentive to actually fix anything. Trump doesn't care. He feels that he was hired to do a job and he is going to do it. He will succeed at times (when he can do it alone), and fail other times (especially when he needs to rely on politicians). 

I may actually vote for him this time (didn't last time), simply to see another four years of hilarity of the exploding heads of NPC's.

As far as Twitter, it is nice to see a politician with a backbone. He is also able to communicate directly with the people, which pisses off the media. They are used to controlling the message. However, people do need to take his phone away from him at times. He is just hurting himself with some of his tweets.

I still detest him, and do not want him to be the leader of our nation. I believe character needs to count for something, and I believe he has none and has no mission in life other than to get wealthy and slurp himself.

While I am okay on  most of his policy decisions outside of the tax cuts and I don't agree 100% on the economic improvements,. That being said, I believe the office of the POTUS needs to be a leader first and foremost..and he is as far from that as I can imagine.

• Like (+1) 2

Before the election, I saw him as a bunker buster on the globalist establishment. I still see him that way but I gain more respect for him every day for his accomplishments. Diffusing wars. Rejecting phony trade deals with the Pacific Rim. Generally pissing off the left wing media and marxist liberals. It's all good. Thoroughly enjoyable really.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I still detest him, and do not want him to be the leader of our nation. I believe character needs to count for something, and I believe he has none and has no mission in life other than to get wealthy and slurp himself.

While I am okay on  most of his policy decisions outside of the tax cuts and I don't agree 100% on the economic improvements,. That being said, I believe the office of the POTUS needs to be a leader first and foremost..and he is as far from that as I can imagine.

He's taking on issues that his predecessors didn't touch and he's not a leader? Trump truly wants to improve our country, while the last president was happy just to be adored.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I believe character needs to count for something, and I believe he has none and has no mission in life other than to get wealthy and slurp himself.

Yeesh, you must have hated Obama.

Frankly, I agree with much of what KRC noted above, and I would add that the one thing I have come to like about Trump is that, unlike other presidents who felt the need to show quiet respect for any lies told about them, Trump doesn't hesitate to call out people for lying. The unfortunate part is that these people...the Acostas of the world...make a decent haul getting the president to acknowledge them. The flip side is that the left media tries to use Trump's words against him, and only prove his point that there is a lot of fake news.

It's amazing to me how stupid he makes the media look.

Making liberals piss their pants every day aside, it has almost exclusively come down to this for me: Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. Throw in all the lower court judges he's packing, and, well, that's winning.

President Hillary would have phkued the SC for years. President Trump helped us dodge that embarrassing bullet, and we should all be exceptionally grateful for the people who put him in office.

• Like (+1) 3

I like his mantra of "America First" which is a refreshing change from the Leftists position of "Blame America First!" 

I think he's doing what he genuinely believes is in the best interest of the United States and it's been a rude awakening for many that he's fulfilling many of his campaign promises.

He moved the US embassy to Jerusalem. He secured the return of several American citizen hostages from foreign dictatorships.

He shocked America and the world when he taught everyone that we have been in a trade war for decades and other countries had unfair tariffs on US made goods.

He's leveling the playing fields on our trade deals were crap and has boldly proceeded to make trading partners back off their protectionist positions.

He's making the US federal judiciary more conservative and constructionist. 

His administration has cut volumes of bureaucratic red tape.

His tax cuts allowed the repatriation of trillions of dollars of US capital and stimulated capital investment.

He stands up for secure borders, and law enforcement.

He believes in having a strong military.

He's unapologetic in his American chauvinism. 

He defeated Hillary. For that, I'll be eternally grateful. 

• Like (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

He's taking on issues that his predecessors didn't touch and he's not a leader? Trump truly wants to improve our country, while the last president was happy just to be adored.

I do not believe he is a leader, correct As I think I stated pretty clearly, i like a good chunk of what he has done..say 60/40 approve to disapprove. But just look at this board and the absolute hate people show for each other's opinions..and "if ya don't share my opinion, then you are idiot " that 95% of the posts on here posit..and I think that is representative of society at large and a President more intent on dividing the country than leading and unifying.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I do not believe he is a leader, correct As I think I stated pretty clearly, i like a good chunk of what he has done..say 60/40 approve to disapprove. But just look at this board and the absolute hate people show for each other's opinions..and "if ya don't share my opinion, then you are idiot " that 95% of the posts on here posit..and I think that is representative of society at large and a President more intent on dividing the country than leading and unifying.

I do not think that is true at all. If you present A in a rational and reasonable manner and defend why you think A is correct, no one attacks anyone. It is the "yo mama" posters that get beat up in PPP. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Yeesh, you must have hated Obama.

F

?  well, I never voted for him..but did not detest him like I detest Trump.

5 minutes ago, Nanker said:

I like his mantra of "America First" which is a refreshing change from the Leftists position of "Blame America First!" 

I think he's doing what he genuinely believes is in the best interest of the United States and it's been a rude awakening for many that he's fulfilling many of his campaign promises.

He moved the US embassy to Jerusalem. He secured the return of several American citizen hostages from foreign dictatorships.

He shocked America and the world when he taught everyone that we have been in a trade war for decades and other countries had unfair tariffs on US made goods.

He's leveling the playing fields on our trade deals were crap and has boldly proceeded to make trading partners back off their protectionist positions.

He's making the US federal judiciary more conservative and constructionist. 

His administration has cut volumes of bureaucratic red tape.

His tax cuts allowed the repatriation of trillions of dollars of US capital and stimulated capital investment.

He stands up for secure borders, and law enforcement.

He believes in having a strong military.

He's unapologetic in his American chauvinism. 

He defeated Hillary. For that, I'll be eternally grateful. 

There is a lot i argue in here, but those points are being debated elsewhere..but on the bold we actually might be in agreement.

wish it was someone besides Trump..but thankful as hell it was not Hilary!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

Define a leader? Not trying to be a dick, I am just trying to understand your position. 

To me, a leader leads by example. I don't care if they can read a teleprompter or placate others. While his tweets can be caustic, they have also been effective. North Korea is an example. Responding to horseface may not have been pleasant, but you have to admit, it was pretty funny. ?

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

You mean he's not folding to the demands of the dems? Remember "elections have consequences"? Now that was a divider-in-chief.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I do not think that is true at all. If you present A in a rational and reasonable manner and defend why you think A is correct, no one attacks anyone. It is the "yo mama" posters that get beat up in PPP. 

BTW, I think that from both sides of the hate/love spectrum. and agree I was prolly overstating the 95% i agree

3 minutes ago, KRC said:

Define a leader? Not trying to be a dick, I am just trying to understand your position. 

To me, a leader leads by example. I don't care if they can read a teleprompter or placate others. While his tweets can be caustic, they have also been effective. North Korea is an example. Responding to horseface may not have been pleasant, but you have to admit, it was pretty funny. ?

I agree. And I can find no example of how he has lead the country that makes me believe he has "lead by example". I have been consistent on here for the better part of a year the constant half-truths and flat-out lies are just something that does not define a leader to me. He gets support by driving divisions deeper, not by unifying and gaining consensus.

I just do not see anything in him that I believe is morally or ethically leading by example. In terms of the OP question, I did not like the man from the start, and nothing he has done has changed my opinion of him.

9 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

You mean he's not folding to the demands of the dems? Remember "elections have consequences"? Now that was a divider-in-chief.

as I stated above, has nothing to do with that. Maybe I am not explaining "I agree with a lot that he done" clear enough. It is not his policies per se..it is him.

• Like (+1) 1

I liked Trump from the start but wasn't sure if he was a legitimate Presidential prospect. But I got on the Trump train during the primaries and I like the guy more every day.

The smear job done on this guy was disgraceful. I understand politics is a rough business and not everybody's going to like his policies and personality, but the widespread characterization of this guy as some Hitlerian despot is appalling.

Think of how many times we heard mindless morons chanting "No Trump, No KKK, no Fascist USA!" Anyone with any sense and even a cursory understanding of fascism knows that's patently ridiculous, but the media treated this absurdity as though it were legitimate and millions of useful idiots ate it up.

After he was elected liberals adopted a diaper pin as their new symbol and delusional, virtue-signaling white girls posted that they would stand alongside the victimized minorities and shield them with their white privilege. The whole thing was so beyond the pale.

What beats all is the way these people will make the nastiest baseless allegations against a guy and then call him divisive when he fights back. I love that he fights back. There have been too many casualties of this PC war and it's about damn time someone stood up to these bullies and exposed them for the empty suits they are.

My biggest criticism of Trump is how ineffective his racist policies have been. With black and hispanic unemployment at historic lows he's really failed at bringing back Jim Crow style oppression.

But with the economy finally being allowed to take off, a President in office who foreign leaders respect, and daily meltdowns by the worst people in our society, I guess I'll give him a pass on that.

• Like (+1) 1

I think for me it's a "devil you know" situation. Trump definitely borders on the "d-bag" line more than I am comfortable, but I definitely appreciate that we see who he really is. If he's going to call someone horseface in a closed door meeting, he's going to do it on twitter because he's the worlds biggest and most successful troll. It's refreshing to see someone who isn't going to play politics or the fake game of being nice to everyone no matter what. 

I like his policy, and I love how his entire candidacy and presidency is one big middle finger to the left and their attempt to rip down everything America was founded on. I don't think he's as strong on Federalism and removal of Fed power (he's no Reagan) as I would like, but overall i appreciate what he's done and would vote again for him. As mentioned above, SCOTUS was one of the biggest reason to vote Trump, and so far that has paid off very well.

42 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

With nothing but curiosity and respect: The bolded is a bit of a chicken and egg scenario, no? 

The entire platform of the democrat party for the past decade has been one of division, aided by their control of the entertainment and info-tainment industries. What is identity politics other than a means of dividing and classifying people based on appearance, and shaming anyone who strays from the ideological consensus of their assigned group? Their last candidate openly stated a large percentage of the country's population were "deplorable". Her original campaign slogan was "I'm with her", which one could argue means if you're not with her you're against her and thus are "deplorable" and unworthy of civility. 

Then flash to Trump's victory and the media coverage of it. From the start the outrage was turned up to 11. People calling him a Nazi, a racist, a warmonger who was going to end the world and round minorities up into camps. For his first two years in office he's had to endure a press whose coverage was 98% negative and largely fueled by fake outrage and even more fake news stories ("he's putting kids in cages!" , "he's a Putin stooge!", "he's a traitor to the country!") while anyone who dared to float an alternative view were told they were "normalizing a monster."

A monster. 

From day one. There's no way to scale that back if the entire media complex starts their arguments at 11. 

Now, the left isn't the only side guilty of division. The right/left are one in the same (as I've been arguing for years now) and work together to fuel division and conflict because that's how they keep us fighting with one another rather than holding the elected officials responsible. This mud fight goes both ways. 

Trump had to fight against a unified opposition of both left and right political forces and media during his campaign. Entire industries were primed to misconstrue, edit, and paint the man as a threat to everything we hold dear - this despite the fact that same man prior to his first presidential run had been largely respected by both political parties, and one who tended to lean more towards a corporate democrat position than a far right wing one. 

But because he fights back, he's the one driving the division? If you listen to the rally speeches, or any of his media appearances in full (rather than the cut ups), you'll see a guy who speaks his mind and isn't PC but honestly strives to unify far more than he does divide. 

just my opinion of course :beer:

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He is basically the same complete idiot I always knew he is/was. 

Same corrupt idiot, Trump University is who he is still. 

Has anyone ever heard him explain in detail any policies? He can't. Blow hards are loud but not deep. 

The only thing holding up the popularity he has is the economy is still on course, in spite of his misguided trade war. 

He's blown up the budget is prosperous times, a real accomplishment. 

He failed to kill health care, as he and the GOP have tried. 

His cozying up to dictators he has financial interest with is sickening. 

His environmental record is wrongheaded and dangerous. 

His tax cuts for the wealthy are so unpopular that the GOP can't run on them in mid terms. 

Has there ever been a more corrupt administration? While Scott Pruitt had to leave, and his campaign manager, personal attorney and national security advisor are either convicted or talking to the authorities, Trump himself is facing trouble from many fronts for Emoluments, conspiring with Russia and campaign finance violations, not to mention all the money that disappeared from his inaugural committee. Never has there been an administration this corrupt. 

But he hides behind his bigotry and gets cheered on for it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Trump is getting results with his polices. He has exposed the media for the biased partisan hacks they are. He drives the liberals (even more) insane with each inane tweet. He has fought for, and received, trade deals that were fair to the US. He's not afraid to pick a fight with anyone, including China and Russia, if he believes he is doing what is right for America. He beat Hillary.

trump-trump-team-america-fuck-yea-electi

Oh, I'm still voting Libertarian in 2020, but that's only because my vote in NY is meaningless, and it would amuse the hell out of me to make the Libertarian party eligible for full federal funding in 2024.