RIP Joachim Ronneberg - sabotaged the Nazi A-Bomb project

21 minutes ago, Steve O said:

If memory serves (and it always does) there was a Hogan's Heroes episode where the inmates of Stalag 13 were responsible for thwarting the Nazi A-bomb efforts

i think that was the plot of 8 episodes

a local station is showing the reruns, but with NO LAUGH TRACK.... it's not watchable this way.

the height of so-called German irony was to dismiss the work of top physicists at their top universities as a racial trick  :D

and the US grabbed the best minds, before the USSR got to them, thank goodness...

• Like (+1) 1

The world is incredibly lucky that Adolf Hitler, in his brilliance, threw most of the Jewish physicists out of the country in the 1930s.  He referred to nuclear engineering as "that Jewish science" and figured therefore it was worthless.

Fast Forward to 1944/early 1945.  War going horribly; Hitler desperately looking for a "wonder weapon" that could bring the war to an end in Germany's favor.  He was focusing on things that would not have nearly enough impact like tanks, jet aircraft, rocket aircraft, the rocket program, etc.

It is ironic that the "wonder weapon" he needed (nuclear weapons) was one of the research programs he gutted going after Jews. 

A Hiroshima sized bomb dropped on Moscow, killing Stalin and the entire regime, Washington DC, London, and the 1.5 million Soviet soldiers packing in for the final push on Berlin along the Oder river in Poland could well have altered the war in Germany's favor, or at least created a situation that allowed for Germany to remain an independent state, returned back to its pre-war boundaries.

14 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The world is incredibly lucky that Adolf Hitler, in his brilliance, threw most of the Jewish physicists out of the country in the 1930s.  He referred to nuclear engineering as "that Jewish science" and figured therefore it was worthless.

Fast Forward to 1944/early 1945.  War going horribly; Hitler desperately looking for a "wonder weapon" that could bring the war to an end in Germany's favor.  He was focusing on things that would not have nearly enough impact like tanks, jet aircraft, rocket aircraft, the rocket program, etc.

It is ironic that the "wonder weapon" he needed (nuclear weapons) was one of the research programs he gutted going after Jews. 

A Hiroshima sized bomb dropped on Moscow, killing Stalin and the entire regime, Washington DC, London, and the 1.5 million Soviet soldiers packing in for the final push on Berlin along the Oder river in Poland could well have altered the war in Germany's favor, or at least created a situation that allowed for Germany to remain an independent state, returned back to its pre-war boundaries.

I think that a lot of intelligent people knew HItler was a moron but he had the turds behind him in Germany.  Something that every dictator after him emulated in that they recruited the thugs in whatever country was being overthrown.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

i think that was the plot of 8 episodes

a local station is showing the reruns, but with NO LAUGH TRACK.... it's not watchable this way.

the height of so-called German irony was to dismiss the work of top physicists at their top universities as a racial trick  :D

and the US grabbed the best minds, before the USSR got to them, thank goodness...

My understanding is that plenty of brilliant scientists were trapped in the east behind the advancing Soviets.  Their air force, nuclear weapons, and space program were the direct result.  As far as Hogan's Heroes goes that was the victim of political correctness here so I am surprised that you get it broadcast at all.  I found it funny and not disrespectful of what was important.  And I have considerable German ancestry to boot. 

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Thank you (+1) 1

99 years old when he died; WWII in Europe ended 73 years, 5 1/2 months ago. 

The veterans are all dying and I have heard some millennials say WWII was fake. 

When I was younger I used to hear stories from the war from veterans in old legion hall. 

I heard some other stories from my uncle who served in Korea (he had muscular dystrophy so bones spurs in feet is no excuse and died from it as did three of his five children).

So much history is being lost.

On 10/23/2018 at 8:03 PM, Limeaid said:

When I was younger I used to hear stories from the war from veterans in old legion hall. 

I heard some other stories from my uncle who served in Korea (he had muscular dystrophy so bones spurs in feet is no excuse and died from it as did three of his five children).

I’ve never heard anything like that.

ive heard whack jobs say the Holocaust was fake . Whackos

but how could an entire war which shaped  history be faked ? Normandy invasion? Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

if true those are some dumb people and I pray for them ?

That's crazy. I'm unfortunately labelled a millenial, and lucky my grandfather is still around. He flew in the Pacific in WW2. The few stories he's told that I remember I cherish. He's 96 now, and everytime I see him I feel like he has no clue who I am anymore. I wish when I was 12 I would have picked his brain more. 

My grandfather was 2 of 60 who survived a polio outbreak in the Philippines. Even have a picture of him in quarantine. Crazy stuff that generation went through.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’ve never heard anything like that.

ive heard whack jobs say the Holocaust was fake . Whackos

but how could an entire war which shaped  history be faked ? Normandy invasion? Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

if true those are some dumb people and I pray for them ?

I agree, I've never heard it. But I hear a lot of dumb stuff so I don't even doubt it at this point.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

I have never heard this. I pray that isnt true.

Some people are stupid. Generation doesnt really matter. Stupid people are stupid

On 10/23/2018 at 7:03 PM, Limeaid said:

12 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I've heard whack jobs say the Holocaust was fake . Whackos

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2018/04/12/two-thirds-of-millennials-dont-know-what-auschwitz-is-according-to-study-of-fading-holocaust-knowledge/

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I have never heard this. I pray that isnt true.

Some people are stupid. Generation doesnt really matter. Stupid people are stupid

I'd believe it based on what I have heard about public schools.  It was many years ago already when I heard a younger relative say that less than a full class was spent on discussing WWII.  When I went a couple generations back we had to know about the war in Europe and the war in the Pacific.  We had to know the relevance of the Battle of the Coral Sea among other things.

The raid on SF Hydro is an interesting story.  And rather screwed up, as were most British SOE operations of the time.  

But really...largely irrelevant.  The Germans had scant ability to develop a weapon from theory.  It took America a massive investment of capital and effort that the Germans couldn't have hoped to match in less than ten years - more like twenty if you include the need to develop uranium mining in Thuringia.  

2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I’d like to know how that study was conducted because my school district teaches the Holocaust in 6/7/8/9/10

almost impossible to not know it lol