Travis Henry not looking for a new deal

I don't see how this could be a bad thing at all. Hopefully this will be the thing that helps us get closer and bring Shelton here, because if that happens then i will be 100% satisfied with our activity in free agency.

I don't see how this could be a bad thing at all.  Hopefully this will be the thing that helps us get closer and bring Shelton here, because if that happens then i will be 100% satisfied with our activity in free agency.

283913[/snapback]

It's not bad it's what he should've done all along. Im just sick of him. AMF.

It's not bad it's what he should've done all along. Im just sick of him. AMF.

283915[/snapback]

I agree with Thailog.....

If Henry would have just played nice....this deal would probably already be consumated with no bad feelings......

A legit LT....a Center and Guard in the draft.....and possibly a Tight End that can block then this offseason wouldn't be all that bad

So you guys believed completely unsubstantiated reports that stated he refused to report earlier, because he wanted a huge bonus and extension, which broke off the deal with the Cards. Which, by the way, was the exact opposite of what Dennis Green publicly stated about it. Although, apparently, you guys chose to believe a rumor instead that wasn't attributed to anyone. But now you believe Travis said he would play out his remaining one-year deal with the Cards, but want him to shut the !@#$ up because it's ruining the deal.

Hmmmmm...

So you guys believed completely unsubstantiated reports that stated he refused to report earlier, because he wanted a huge bonus and extension, which broke off the deal with the Cards. Which, by the way, was the exact opposite of what Dennis Green publicly stated about it. Although, apparently, you guys chose to believe a rumor instead that wasn't attributed to anyone. But now you believe Travis said he would play out his remaining one-year deal with the Cards, but want him to shut the !@#$ up because it's ruining the deal.

Hmmmmm...

284037[/snapback]

Hmmmm indeed! Bills fandom is fickle! As long as we are clear that everyone hates Travis Henry, now that the old QB is gone, we shall all get along....who is next?

I agree with Thailog.....

If Henry would have just played nice....this deal would probably already be consumated with no bad feelings......

A legit LT....a Center and Guard in the draft.....and possibly a Tight End that can block then this offseason wouldn't be all that bad

283919[/snapback]

It doesn't say much for TD, if he is willing to hold a player hostage, just to spite him, at the expense of the organization....

I don't always agree with TD's tactics (or should I say perceived tactics) but I don't think he is that dumb, and maybe not quite that petty....did it ever occurr to anyone that maybe this deal is not getting done, because TD, like Denny Green, doesn't think as highly of Shelton as the TSW posters seem to? Just a thought...

Either way, TD's greatest mistake in this Travis Henry fiasco, was not trading him before last season...it seems a little odd that he wouldn't take that kind of risk, considering the risk he is willing to take with Losman this season....

did it ever occurr to anyone that maybe this deal is not getting done, because TD, like Denny Green, doesn't think as highly of Shelton as the TSW posters seem to? 

284111[/snapback]

There is NO other reason for not making this deal. TD doesn't put spite or gamesmanship ahead of making the club better. Obviously, he's trying to strike the best deal he can & doesn't feel he's been offered enough value for Henry.

There is NO other reason for not making this deal.  TD doesn't put spite or gamesmanship ahead of making the club better.  Obviously, he's trying to strike the best deal he can & doesn't feel he's been offered enough value for Henry.

284119[/snapback]

Oh, really? Remember, Riemersma? He didn't get JR to renegotiate because he had very little leverage due to the cap hit for cutting him. For the rest of that season, he just had it in for JR. First opportunity, he got cut. Not that I care that JR wasn't re-signed.

For that matter remember the Pat Williams non-deal? TD says all through the season, "We'll get it done." Then when PW says there was no talk between TD and his agent, TD says, "oh, yeah, we made them an offer the end of last summer - they didn't take it, blah, blah, blah..."

I don't know - TD definitely is a tough negotiator. I'll give him that. But to say he doesn't put spite or gamesmanship above the club, is just nuts...He got screwed over by a coach and now he refuses to hire one with any kind of HC experience. Don't get me wrong, I like Mularkey. But to say he is immune to his own ego, is well, just unrealistic.

Guy has a memory like elephant. No wonder they called him and the older Rooney the Pittsburgh Mafia...

Charles

There is NO other reason for not making this deal.  TD doesn't put spite or gamesmanship ahead of making the club better.  Obviously, he's trying to strike the best deal he can & doesn't feel he's been offered enough value for Henry.

284119[/snapback]

It's called doing business on your own terms and the most successful people in the world live by it.

Oh, really?  Remember, Riemersma?  He didn't get JR to renegotiate because he had very little leverage due to the cap hit for cutting him.  For the rest of that season, he just had it in for JR.  First opportunity, he got cut.  Not that I care that JR wasn't re-signed.

For that matter remember the Pat Williams non-deal?  TD says all through the season, "We'll get it done."  Then when PW says there was no talk between TD and his agent, TD says, "oh, yeah, we made them an offer the end of last summer - they didn't take it, blah, blah, blah..."

I don't know - TD definitely is a tough negotiator.  I'll give him that.  But to say he doesn't put spite or gamesmanship above the club, is just nuts...He got screwed over by a coach and now he refuses to hire one with any kind of HC experience.  Don't get me wrong, I like Mularkey.  But to say he is immune to his own ego, is well, just unrealistic.

Guy has a memory like elephant.  No wonder they called him and the older Rooney the Pittsburgh Mafia...

Charles

284565[/snapback]

Why would you assume it was spite or ego and not because JR simply sucked for two years straight? Why would you think Mularkey was hired just because TD refused to hire anyone with HC experience. Please provide the long list of HC candidates out there last year who would be better choices as our coach but TD avoided because of his ego?

I can't really fault any GM who has the opportunity to screw over an idiot player - and there are plenty of them.

Consider the job - you have to deal year-round with a whole bunch of self-important people who without pro football would be hard-pressed to hold a job with a fast-foot outfit, assuming the joint didn't toss their application into the trash can in the first place, or got shot or died of alcohol or drugs. Did I mention wife-beating?

You get to deal with on a daily basis, league and union rules that would test the patience of Job. Owners, generally folks of possesed of huge egos and delusions of self-importance themselves, screaming at you to make more money for them (I know, it's rough to only have five homes, 2 Rolls Royces, 3 Porsches, one stinkin' yacht, etc.) and the next moment villifying your very existence because you haven't waved that magic wand and produced a winner.

I pity the fool who becomes a GM. :P

Why would you assume it was spite or ego and not because JR simply sucked for two years straight? Why would you think Mularkey was hired just because TD refused to hire anyone with HC experience. Please provide the long list of HC candidates out there last year who would be better choices as our coach but TD avoided because of his ego?

284604[/snapback]

Fair enough - clarification is due. Like I said, I didn't care that JR was cut. It was just the venom in which he did it. I'm sorry I don't have all the "documentation" at hand for what he said at the time. But it was something to the effect of "we want players who want to be Buffalo Bills to be with us, blah, blah, blah" implying that if they didn't take a pay cut, their loyalty was questionable.

Point in fact, he had just cut one of our LBs *after* he restructured. Can't remember now his name. Ended up in Buffalo West aka San Diego. JR said he would restructure but only if he had long term security in Buffalo. TD wanted to take away money that was already on table for JR - cut $$ and not extend years. He could have cut JR even if he restructured.

However, TD had no leverage because cutting JR would have accelerated the cap hit and we couldn't afford that at the time.

I understand wanting JR to take the pay cut. But I believe the "classy" way to treat the situation would be just to say we'll let him play out the year and see how it goes and then say goodbye. But TD kept using the media to fume at the situation. Couple of days after the season was over - bye, bye JR. He was just pissed he "lost" in the negotiations.

Same thing with the Bledsoe deal, Patriots didn't want to let Bledsoe go for nothing less than a first round pick. TD thought well I'll just go over Pioli and Belichik and decided to fax Kraft. Kraft said something to the effect 'deal with Pioli/Belichik' It was just sophomoric stuff. Pioli was pissed.

The same thing with Jennings and Williams. You hear him say one thing in the press and then someone counters in the press and then you get the whole story.

As for the coaching situation, I think the Mularkey hire was good. The Gregg Williams hire was not. He merely didn't want to hire a more experienced coach (ie. more strong willed). To give you an example, we interviewed Marvin Lewis, John Fox, Jim Fassel and then last year we interviewed Tom Coughlin. We also could have Crennel or Weis after Phillips.

Again, I like the Mularkey hire - but I would argue our program was held back for 3 years due to our GM's ego and insecurities.