Former Steelers LB killed

I'm thinking that that was some other cause. Little was an expeienced man when it came to exercise regimens.

283755[/snapback]

It doesn't matter how experienced you are if a joint gives out when you have heavy weight at the top of a lift. Barbell benching is a horrible exercise for your shoulder joints and I know few avid lifters who haven't suffered injuries from it (the risk increases as the years pile up).

Barbell benching is a horrible exercise for your shoulder joints and I know few avid lifters who haven't suffered injuries from it (the risk increases as the years pile up).

283756[/snapback]

Standard elbows out style.

Powerlifting style with elbows in is more merciful on the shoulders (uses more lat/tri).

Crap!

When I first started working out (prolly 14-15 or so), my chest cramped and I was pinned without a spotter. Luckily at that age all I was lifting only 80-90 pounds or so. I had to roll the bar down my chest on to my stomach.

Ah life's lessons...

Apparently not with standard weight room safety precautions.

Scene safety is priority one.

283759[/snapback]

You got that right - and there aren't too many individuals on this planet who can adequately spot 250 pounds on a bench by themselves. If nothing else, he should have been using a Smith Machine.

You got that right - and there aren't too many individuals on this planet who can adequately spot 250 pounds on a bench by themselves.  If nothing else, he should have been using a Smith Machine.

283771[/snapback]

Or the bowflex...like the hot 50 year old chick on tv....

When you benchpress, don't put locks on the ends of the bars, you can just lean right/left to dump the weights if need be.

283414[/snapback]

That was one of the first things a trainer had shown me a few years ago when I first started lifting weights. He said it happens to everyone who lifts, so don't think you're an exception. Sure enough, a year later, doing bench presses, it just got away from me. It sat on my chest, but I just tilted my body to the side and slid that 10 pounder right off of there. :lol:

Crap!

When I first started working out (prolly 14-15 or so), my chest cramped and I was pinned without a spotter. Luckily at that age all I was lifting only 80-90 pounds or so. I had to roll the bar down my chest on to my stomach.

Ah life's lessons...

283770[/snapback]

When was that? Last week?

That's horrible. When you benchpress, don't put locks on the ends of the bars, you can just lean right/left to dump the weights if need be. Don't know if that necessarily would've helped him in that situation, but you really should always have a spotter when you lift.

283414[/snapback]

hear hear about the spotter..I was benching heavy weights once---didnt drop the weights--but just got lackadaisical and didnt get one side of the bar back up properly.One end slipped off.If it woulda come down on my neck i would have died.CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL!!!!

Or the bowflex...like the hot 50 year old chick on tv....

283778[/snapback]

YES--I remember that 50 year old chick on the commercial.AMAZING----older women --when they are in shape can be much hotter than the young ones.