Music Question

referring to todays musical acts, has anyone put out the obligatory "life on the road" or "this is how we became a band" song, ala, "running on empty", "rock and roll band", "turn the page", "dead or alive", etc... or are todays musical acts focusing on being angry or some other cause du jour? anyone know? Having heard "dead or alive" reently, it got me thinking about any updated R & R anthems

Most of today's rock n'roll bands can't hold an audience long enough for anyone to give a crap about how they got together.

HOWEVER, if they did, it would probably go something like this....

Our agents called us on the phone.

They said there was an executive who needed to make some dough.

and so on.....

Our agents called us on the phone.

They said there was an executive who needed to make some dough.

283400[/snapback]

So they took five guys who have never met.

And the exec told the agent "I'd like to make a bet.

I can turn these five into the next hottest thing.

They'll do songs about chicks and use words like 'bling bling.'

The kids'll buy their records or even download them for free.

They'll vote with their cellphones and one day you'll see.

Its not about talent, or lyrics or tunes.

It's not about love songs by overweight goons.

It's simply a matter of making music called 'rap'

and seeing how many morons will keep buying that crap."

They'll do songs about chicks and use words like 'bling bling.'

The kids'll buy their records or even download them for free.

They'll vote with their cellphones and one day you'll see.

Its not about talent, or lyrics or tunes.

It's not about love songs by overweight goons.

It's simply a matter of making music called 'rap'

and seeing how many morons will keep buying that crap."

283425[/snapback]

Way to take the ball and run with it! :blink:

Next?

Wasn't that how the Monkees were formed? :blink:

CW

Wasn't that how the Monkees were formed? :blink:

CW

283448[/snapback]

Laugh if you will, but the Monkees were a very well-produced product, musically and in presentation and writing - Nesmith was the leader there when they did their own writing , plus they had obvious big bux resources in all phases of the business. Tork was the outlier, but Jones, Dolenz (a former member of the Disney studio stable of child actors) and Nesmith had very good stage "presence".

Laugh if you will, but the Monkees were a very well-produced product, musically and in presentation and writing - Nesmith was the leader there when they did their own writing , plus they had obvious big bux resources in all phases of the business. Tork was the outlier, but Jones, Dolenz (a former member of the Disney studio stable of child actors) and Nesmith had very good stage "presence".

283457[/snapback]

Not disputing that, but they were put together artificially to form a band. :blink:

CW

283457[/snapback]

Their show was whacked as hell, too. I really enjoyed them. But of course I was six years old, so I also enjoyed picking my nose, rolling it into a ball and flicking it at my sister.

By the way, did you know that Michael Nesmith created a show called "Pop Clips" which he sold to Time-Warner Brothers, who used it to then create MTV? Makes sense since shows like The Monkees and The Partridge Family pioneered music television.

Their show was whacked as hell, too. I really enjoyed them. But of course I was six years old, so I also enjoyed picking my nose, rolling it into a ball and flicking it at my sister.

By the way, did you know that Michael Nesmith created a show called "Pop Clips" which he sold to Time-Warner Brothers, who used it to then create MTV? Makes sense since shows like The Monkees and The Partridge Family pioneered music television.

283488[/snapback]

Their convertible, the red customized Pontiac GTO was given away in a contest. I think it was the cereal giant Kellogg's that ran the deal. I would have liked to have won that.

http://www.showrods.com/showrods_pages/monkeemobile.html

283488[/snapback]

...And Nesmith had the luxury of taking some artistic risks and funding his work because of a sizeable inheritance.

His mother was Bette Nesmith Graham, inventor of liquid paper.

She sold her Liquid Paper in 1979 to the Gillette Company for $47.5 million (plus royalties). Shorthly after this, her son Michael began his music video business. Bette Nesmith's poor typing skills and her invention, liquid paper, indirectly led to MTV.

BTW - Why are The Monkees always being singled out for being "an assembled" band. So what? Weren't most big Motown acts, including The Supremes, put together in a similar way? The Supremes didn't play their own instruments and never wrote anything, yet they were a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame. The Monkees, though not very innovative in their own right, still had a lot of good music, much of which they wrote and played on themselves. That's more than you can say for most of today's lip-synching manufactured acts who are considered musical superstars.

...And Nesmith had the luxury of taking some artistic risks and funding his work because of a sizeable inheritance.

His mother was Bette Nesmith Graham, inventor of liquid paper.

She sold her Liquid Paper in 1979 to the Gillette Company for $47.5 million (plus royalties). Shorthly after this, her son Michael began his music video business. Bette Nesmith's poor typing skills and her invention, liquid paper, indirectly led to MTV.

BTW - Why are The Monkees always being singled out for being "an assembled" band. So what? Weren't most big Motown acts, including The Supremes, put together in a similar way? The Supremes didn't play their own instruments and never wrote anything, yet they were a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame. The Monkees, though not very innovative in their own right, still had a lot of good music, much of which they wrote and played on themselves. That's more than you can say for most of today's lip-synching manufactured acts who are considered musical superstars.

283521[/snapback]

Didn't know that about Nesmith's parentage. He was a talent in the '60's and 70's folk/country set. By all accounts, a decent man who wrote good enough songs and sang well enought to please his audiences.

Another group along this line was Jerry Lewis and the Playboys. Certainly had the backing, but they sang good songs that people liked. Nothing wrong with that.

referring to todays musical acts, has anyone put out the obligatory "life on the road" or "this is how we became a band" song, ala, "running on empty", "rock and roll band", "turn the page", "dead or alive", etc... or are todays musical acts focusing on being angry or some other cause du jour?  anyone know?  Having heard "dead or alive" reently, it got me thinking about any updated R & R anthems

283378[/snapback]

Do they still make rock and roll bands?

Didn't know that about Nesmith's parentage. He was a talent in the '60's and 70's folk/country set. By all accounts, a decent man who wrote good enough songs and sang well enought to please his audiences.

Another group along this line was Jerry Lewis and the Playboys. Certainly had the backing, but they sang good songs that people liked. Nothing wrong with that.

283533[/snapback]

Reuben Stoddard, Kelly Clarkson, Rhett whatever the fug his name is, make records that people "vote" for them to make...the music industry, these days, seems to be catering to people who don't really like music so much as they like the act of shopping...

This is the saddest OLD MAN thread I have ever come across. I think you all need to get your hearing aids fixed, then stop getting all your cd's at WalMart. Then go read a couple issues of Mojo and begin to accept the existence of a little thing called The 21st Century.

:lol:

...begin to accept the existence of a little thing called The 21st Century.

:lol:

283781[/snapback]

We did try to accept it, but it was too loud, made no sense, and was universally accepted by youth as 'good enough.'

Maybe what you need is a good ol' dose of some classic "Tears for Fears." ;)