Whitey taking over the reservation

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Not an easy subject with a simple solution.

Actually, I think the simple solution was just successfully defended in the court.

Individuals are individuals, and should be treated as individuals; not as parts of groups.

No harm is done to the child by allowing them to be adopted by loving parents whom have raised them from infancy.

The only perceived harm is done to a grievance group who wish to impose a particular identity on a child to young to have any say in the matter.

• Like (+1) 1

Back when I was in children's services, we had to spend an entire morning in training on ICWA.  NYS had been sued multiple times over it in the past and lots of people had lost their jobs, all because one CPS or foster care worker forgot to ask if crack-addicted mom had a great-great-grandmother who was native :wacko:

5 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Actually, I think the simple solution was just successfully defended in the court.

Individuals are individuals, and should be treated as individuals; not as parts of groups.

No harm is done to the child by allowing them to be adopted by loving parents whom have raised them from infancy.

The only perceived harm is done to a grievance group who wish to impose a particular identity on a child to young to have any say in the matter.

I mostly agree with you Tasker, my wife has worked for the Seneca Nation Health dpt. for years and she now works to place foster children , 

and the welfare of the child should be paramount.

but in reading the article I am concerned with the other fallout that may occur. 

FTA:

The ruling is a victory in the eyes of state attorneys general in Texas, Louisiana and Indiana, who argued the Indian Child Welfare Act imposed a “discriminatory framework” against nonnative adoptive parents. But in the eyes of Native American rights attorneys, the ruling is destructive, with an impact that may stretch far beyond the ICWA.

They fear it may not only jeopardize Native American children, who are far more susceptible to being removed from their families than nonnative children, data has shown. They fear the ruling, if upheld, may also jeopardize decades of legal precedent affecting tribal sovereignty, said Dan Lewerenz and Erin Dougherty Lynch, attorneys with the Native American Rights Fund.

“The decision is jarring, and not just for its effect on ICWA,” Lewerenz told The Washington Post, “but because as far as I know this is the first time ever that a federal statute enacted to benefit Indians has been found to be unconstitutional on the grounds of equal protection. It introduces perhaps an entirely new world of Indian law. And we worry that this might be what the plaintiffs intend, that this is not just an effort to undermine ICWA, but to undermine all Indian law.”

27 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I mostly agree with you Tasker, my wife has worked for the Seneca Nation Health dpt. for years and she now works to place foster children , 

and the welfare of the child should be paramount.

but in reading the article I am concerned with the other fallout that may occur. 

FTA:

The ruling is a victory in the eyes of state attorneys general in Texas, Louisiana and Indiana, who argued the Indian Child Welfare Act imposed a “discriminatory framework” against nonnative adoptive parents. But in the eyes of Native American rights attorneys, the ruling is destructive, with an impact that may stretch far beyond the ICWA.

They fear it may not only jeopardize Native American children, who are far more susceptible to being removed from their families than nonnative children, data has shown. They fear the ruling, if upheld, may also jeopardize decades of legal precedent affecting tribal sovereignty, said Dan Lewerenz and Erin Dougherty Lynch, attorneys with the Native American Rights Fund.

“The decision is jarring, and not just for its effect on ICWA,” Lewerenz told The Washington Post, “but because as far as I know this is the first time ever that a federal statute enacted to benefit Indians has been found to be unconstitutional on the grounds of equal protection. It introduces perhaps an entirely new world of Indian law. And we worry that this might be what the plaintiffs intend, that this is not just an effort to undermine ICWA, but to undermine all Indian law.”

Tribal sovereignty was a massive mistake, and needs to be done away with.

• Like (+1) 1