ESPN analytics has developed new Pass Blocking and Pass Rushing stats: How they work

YoloinOhio

Pass Block Win Rate and Pass Rush Win Rate solve the flaws of Pressures and TIP stats because they properly analyze pass blocking from the perspective of systems engineering. Yes, systems engineering. Pass protection is best understood as a parallel process, meaning if any one link in the chain breaks, the entire chain fails. That is, if any one blocker allows pressure, then the quarterback is indeed pressured no matter how well the other blockers do.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24892208/creating-better-nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-stats-analytics-explainer-faq-how-work

And here are the top offensive tackles in Pass Block Win Rate. The league average for tackles is 79 percent:

Top OT Blockers

RANK PLAYER TEAM TOTAL
RUSHES
RUSH WIN
RATE
1 Rob Havenstein LAR 110 96%
2 Andrew Whitworth LAR 112 93%
3 Taylor Lewan TEN 75 90%
4 David Bakhtiari GB 156 89%
5 Tyron Smith DAL 123 88%
6 Trent Williams WAS 99 88%
7 Dion Dawkins BUF 142 87%
8 Ryan Ramczyk NO 146 87%
9 Duane Brown SEA 129 87%
10 Josh Wells JAX 122 87%

Why are they better than stats?

Metrics like QB pressures and time in pocket might be useful, but they can be misleading. A QB pressure can occur for several reasons other than unreliable pass protection, such as good coverage, poor route-running or missed reads by the quarterback. Our win rate metric isolates line play from those other factors. Also, time in pocket metrics don't know the difference between a quick read and release by the quarterback and ineffective pass protection. If a passer throws at 1.8 seconds after the snap, does that mean he only had 1.8 seconds to throw, or did he execute his read quickly? Our metrics know the difference.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I use my eyeballs. Just as effective.

new stats to tell me the best players are on the teams that win the most and/or have the most yards on offense?

• Like (+1) 1

I assume it's like their crappy QBR and they refuse to provide the details to the measure or index or whatever they want to call it. That means they can't say its better than any other measure if no one can actually test that statement. ESPN blows. 

9 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Must be nice when the top 1 and 2 OT blockers are on your team.  I really like what the Rams are doing this year.

Yeah I noticed that - doesn’t suck for Goff

8 minutes ago, zonabb said:

I assume it's like their crappy QBR and they refuse to provide the details to the measure or index or whatever they want to call it. That means they can't say its better than any other measure if no one can actually test that statement. ESPN blows. 

I guess you can assume that, or read the details 

All the details on PBWR and PRWR

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24892208/creating-better-nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-stats-analytics-explainer-faq-how-work

Edited by YoloinOhio

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s one the core building blocks on the team and holding his own with very little help next to him. Hey I’ll take it. 

i will try to take notice of this on Sunday

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Not for Dawkins...he is a DT

Oh good, Vlad and Miller will get pushed around on Sunday, and will most likely need help from Bodine assuming he is the center.  If I was the Titans I'd blitz all day long, our line won't pick it up and Allen probably won't recognize it.

• Like (+1) 1