Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Boeheim must have had his size 13s up Griffin’s arse all week because he was playing like a man possessed.  Hustled, played great defense, got some steals, was all over the boards, and scored from all over the court.

Edwards got a few minutes, but quickly got the hook and I don’t think ever returned.  Didn’t really make any terrible mistakes, but also didn’t do anything.  Dolezaj was also a beast today which could have kept Jesse on the bench.

Griffin had 7 (!) blocks today

• Awesome! (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

Huge if it works out.

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Kadary richmond is an absolute joy to watch 

Plays like he's an upperclassman

Kadary just flat out needs more minutes.  Is world better defensively than JG3, and he’s not afraid to take the ball to the rack.  We need that in our offense to create space for our perimeter game.

I love Girard...really do.  I actually like him at the 2 a lot more than I like him at the point.  Getting Sidibe back would be tremendous.  Go 🍊 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Huge if it works out.

Kadary just flat out needs more minutes.  Is world better defensively than JG3, and he’s not afraid to take the ball to the rack.  We need that in our offense to create space for our perimeter game.

I love Girard...really do.  I actually like him at the 2 a lot more than I like him at the point.  Getting Sidibe back would be tremendous.  Go 🍊 

Yea Richmond needs minutes

He's too good to not play

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

A few thoughts on the NC State game:

1) I will echo what you all have said re Kadary. The looks we get are so much better when you can get a guy that can drive and then score or kick. 

2) Griffin is maddening. The guy can get hot and shoot, and then just has stretches when he is so ridiculously lazy. He seriously almost blew the game with just lazy dribbling. I feel like a lot of guys are at fault for the defensive woes— but he has been terrible at times on D Too.

3) I just don’t get why the interior D is so awful. Maybe with Sidibe back and Dolejaz can shift to the 4, it will get better. But I am Not holding my breath. Teams can get whatever they want inside. 

• Like (+1) 1

Cuse fans...with Sidibe possibly coming back on Wednesday, how do you tweak the lineup/players off the bench?   Do you limit Sidibe to a bench role and keep Dolezaj at center despite his stuggles agains ACC centers?  What say you?

I’d like to re-haul the whole starting lineup.

PG: Richmond SG: Griffin SF: Guerrier PF: Dolezaj  Center: Sidibe

Keep the guards fresh with Buddy & Joe G.  Sometimes play a small line up with Dolezaj at center with Guerrier at SF and Griffin-Boeheim/JG3.  Gives us matchup flexibility.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Cuse fans...with Sidibe possibly coming back on Wednesday, how do you tweak the lineup/players off the bench?   Do you limit Sidibe to a bench role and keep Dolezaj at center despite his stuggles agains ACC centers?  What say you?

I’d like to re-haul the whole starting lineup.

PG: Richmond SG: Griffin SF: Guerrier PF: Dolezaj  Center: Sidibe

Keep the guards fresh with Buddy & Joe G.  Sometimes play a small line up with Dolezaj at center with Guerrier at SF and Griffin-Boeheim/JG3.  Gives us matchup flexibility.

I absolutely love that line-up, and the substitutions you suggest. The strength, size, and length would actually allow us to field a competitively athletic team in the ACC. Better defenders; better on the glass; Griffin and Guerrier are good enough from the outside to keep defenses honest too. 

I also think that gives them the ability to see if Buddy or JG get hot, and then can feed the hot hand. 

I guess the main concern is how much Sidibe Will be able to play, and how rusty he is. 

edit: I also read JB may work Newton back in. Don’t understand how he hasn’t gotten more PT. He seems like he could really help. 

Edited by Miyagi-Do Karate
  • Like (+1) 1

I may be a bit premature. But with his effort size and skill I think kooks ( richmond) might be the best player on the orange, at least the most skilled

And he's a frosh

Some summer clips from Richmond in New York City 

Even the announcer knew as soon as he got the ball the game was over

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Would be a huge get.  Interesting that he included Syracuse in his final 6 considering they only offered him in December.  I’m hearing that Syracuse is making gains on once favorites to land him, Ole Miss.🤞 

Also, real chance that he reclassified to ‘21.

Would be huge. We need a legit big man again

42 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Nice win by Syracuse.

was it just me, or did the refs just stop trying? Lot of really obvious hacks by both teams And they let them play on. 

Eh, I grew up with no blood no foul.. I loved the old big East because it was so physical.. and it always benefited Syracuse teams because our players are physical

The ACC is so soft honestly, I hate the league and the officiating.. the league just doesn't fit Syracuse and boeheims play style honestly .. Syracuse Pittsburgh Georgetown Connecticut all benefited from the physical big East.. the schools were built on physical basketball

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Eh, I grew up with no blood no foul.. I loved the old big East because it was so physical.. and it always benefited Syracuse teams because our players are physical

The ACC is so soft honestly, I hate the league and the officiating.. the league just doesn't fit Syracuse and boeheims play style honestly .. Syracuse Pittsburgh Georgetown Connecticut all benefited from the physical big East.. the schools were built on physical basketball

Don’t get me wrong— I love old Big East ball. And I typically like the refs to let them play through body contact. 

But that game yesterday was just odd— for example, there was one play where Marek tried to pass and was raked across the arm. The ref actually waited until the ball was fumbled to the other team before blowing the whistle. It was almost a full 2-second delay. There were other times where that wasn’t called in that game, and it made the game pretty sloppy for stretches. Fast break; no call; other way; fast break; no call; other way... 

It’s one thing to let physical play and contact go— but even in the old big East, you can’t just rake guys on the arms as they are dribbling, shooting, or passing. it makes the game really hard to watch and is frustrating for the players, I am sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Don’t get me wrong— I love old Big East ball. And I typically like the refs to let them play through body contact. 

But that game yesterday was just odd— for example, there was one play where Marek tried to pass and was raked across the arm. The ref actually waited until the ball was fumbled to the other team before blowing the whistle. It was almost a full 2-second delay. There were other times where that wasn’t called in that game, and it made the game pretty sloppy for stretches. Fast break; no call; other way; fast break; no call; other way... 

It’s one thing to let physical play and contact go— but even in the old big East, you can’t just rake guys on the arms as they are dribbling, shooting, or passing. it makes the game really hard to watch and is frustrating for the players, I am sure. 

Yeah that play with marek was definitely strange 

I do believe that the Boston college kid disputed the call and got teed up

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.