Sean McDermott: "Culture Trumps Strategy" ?​​​​​​​

3 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

We have a saying at work. It applies to the long run...i.e. over many years, not week to week. 
That is that Culture eats Strategy for breakfast. In the long run this is true. Strategies change week to week and year to year. A strong (or deficient) culture will be a more defining trait of success or failure in the long run. 

Do you think this would apply to the NFL where many regimes only get 3 years or less?

Edited by stony

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

Culture sure as hell does matter a lot. 

Last year was a big culture shift and it just so happened to be the year we broke the longest playoff drought in sports.

Do you think the Patriots don't have a certain culture all the long timers have bought into?

Just because culture might trump strategy, that doesn't mean strategy doesn't matter a lot, too.

Culture and strategy are not mutually exclusive, you can have both. But to say culture is more important is mind numbing, just a moronic thing to say.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Talent trumps culture.

Hopefully there is some give and take. Their moves to this point don't suggest that. 

i don't know if one actually trumps the other.   we've had some solid talent on this team in the past, (at least that what everyone is telling me here) and didn't sniff the playoffs.  it's a combo of a lot of different factors.  i see why people are annoyed by the comment, but i don't think it's a pitchfork like as people are making it out to be.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

"Culture" seems to be a loose term. 

To me, this isn't much different than the idea that "effort trumps talent". 

He honestly DOES believe that effort trumps talent - it's apparent from his press conference today.  He said multiple times that the Bills need to change their attitude and that the run game would get fixed as a result.

29 minutes ago, Stevie Ray said:

Could care less what he says. All I care about is what he does. So far its been some good and some bad but it's only year 2. I dont know why some people need to hang onto soundbites and press conferences in order to get up in arms. Whatever. 

Finally, sanity - good post! Man this board is in free fall!

If you're actually building a winning culture, the last thing you do is throw out a line like culture trumps strategy. You build the culture by bringing in talent, devising strategies, and ultimately winning football games. You don't build anything by talking about how important an intangible is. 

This guy is Gregg Williams 2.0. 

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He honestly DOES believe that effort trumps talent - it's apparent from his press conference today.  He said multiple times that the Bills need to change their attitude and that the run game would get fixed as a result.

So the Bills still need to change their attitude? You mean after all they have done it's still not changed. BS coach.

12 minutes ago, MTBill said:

I believe the thing is - if you have a player who is not buying in to the culture - not giving his 100%, it does not matter what strategy you have - it won't work with this player.

I agree with that statement.  If the comment is that you cannot have strategy - then I completely disagree with his statement.  :)

I just believe given the full context - his meaning is that you have to have players who buy in to the philosophy and are actively participating in the strategy.

Does that make sense?

To most of us!

I think folks are simply misinterpreting his intentions. IMHO, to say that culture "trumps" strategy simply means all things being equal, a culture of a team-first mentality will be far more important in the long-term view of winning. In other words, strategy IS important and it needs it's due attention and talent acquisition is of course part of the strategy, BUT if you have a divisive culture or more individually focused approach, then the strategy won't be nearly as effective. 

Take one of Webster's definitions of "trumps": a decisive overriding factor or final resource https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trumps?src=search-dict-hed

If you take the above definition, it essentially says that when all else is decided, this final factor or "resource" will win the day or decide the outcome. IF you look at his quote in this context, then to me, he's absolutely right. And before we start arguing about what he meant, just consider the entirety of the quote that went on to insinuate that guys who don't buy in to the team first mentality, hurt the entire team as a whole and that mindset will lose games over time. 

Time will tell if McD is the right guy, but after making the playoffs (however they did it, they did it), and starting a Rookie with virtually no WRs to speak of, an aging RB, and a hodgepodge Offensive line, I'll give them through next year when the "culture" has been established, money spent and Draft picks for three years have been assigned. FWIW, it appears that they're doing a fairly good job of locating Drafted talent with Zay not yet showing his value and Allen still needing a lot more to prove. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Culture and strategy are not mutually exclusive, you can have both. But to say culture is more important is mind numbing, just a moronic thing to say.

Huh?

Water and food are important for person's survival, but you can survive longer without food.

Thus

Water is more important.

That doesn't mean food isn't also really important.

His statement doesn't mean strategy isn't important, just that culture is more important.

I think I'd agree.

• Like (+1) 3