Bills vs. Packers All-22 Coaches Film Reviews

20 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Lee is supposed to be a good blocker. I haven’t seen it.

TBH in the all-22 gif above, it's hard for me to sort who had what responsibility.  It's part of what I mean by saying I see a massive whirling ball of confusion on who has what responsibility.   At the start of the play, Mills and Miller are double-teaming 1 guy leaving Lee alone on the LB.   Fackrell beats Lee to the inside, but does Lee expect to have RT help on that side?  Mills appears to be late, slow, and out of position to pick up a block Lee may (?) expect him to help with, leaving Lee with the choice between watching his QB get nailed, or committing the hold.

On his part, it appears to me that Allen was late to move up in the pocket and if he stepped up earlier, he would have evaded the smash long enough to hit the throw.

I'm not saying it's all-world blocking by Lee, but asking any TE to hold an extended block 1:1 on a charging LB is asking a lot.  The best can do it perhaps?

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Aaron Rogers says that that Pack should have had 45 points and 600+ yards. Given the drops and overthrows, I don't think he's wrong. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/packers-aaron-rodgers-wants-be-challenged?ls=pftvod

I hope the Bills D is taking that personally.  Because the other side of it is we should have had what, 3 picks and two fumbles on him? 

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBH in the all-22 gif above, it's hard for me to sort who had what responsibility.  It's part of what I mean by saying I see a massive whirling ball of confusion on who has what responsibility.   At the start of the play, Mills and Miller are double-teaming 1 guy leaving Lee alone on the LB.   Fackrell beats Lee to the inside, but does Lee expect to have RT help on that side?  Mills appears to be late, slow, and out of position to pick up a block Lee may (?) expect him to help with, leaving Lee with the choice between watching his QB get nailed, or committing the hold.

On his part, it appears to me that Allen was late to move up in the pocket and if he stepped up earlier, he would have evaded the smash long enough to hit the throw.

I'm not saying it's all-world blocking by Lee, but asking any TE to hold an extended block 1:1 on a charging LB is asking a lot.  The best can do it perhaps?

I hope the Bills D is taking that personally.  Because the other side of it is we should have had what, 3 picks and two fumbles on him? 

two picks because I think you have to assume that DBs are always going to drop one out of two. The only reason the good ones play defense is because they don't have good enough hands to play WR. 

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

two picks because I think you have to assume that DBs are always going to drop one out of two. The only reason the good ones play defense is because they don't have good enough hands to play WR. 

Well shoot son there's a joke there

Q: how do you tell a Bills DB from a Bills WR?

A: no way to distinguish, their hands all suck

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well shoot son there's a joke there

Q: how do you tell a Bills DB from a Bills WR?

A: no way to distinguish, their hands all suck

PS - I do think that the D looked solid in that game. That said, I also think that the Pack missed a lot of plays. They should have scored about 31 by my reckoning (not 45). 

22 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Joe nails the big concern for rolling an unready rookie onto the field behind a porous OL, and with a questionable run game.

The point about the Pack not respecting our ability to run is true, but under Roman/Lynn we could usually run well enough to buy passing room.

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

PS - I do think that the D looked solid in that game. That said, I also think that the Pack missed a lot of plays. They should have scored about 31 by my reckoning (not 45). 

You think our D looked solid?

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Joe nails the big concern for rolling an unready rookie onto the field behind a porous OL, and with a questionable run game.

The point about the Pack not respecting our ability to run is true, but under Roman/Lynn we could usually run well enough to buy passing room.

He's been done a disservice by the GM and HC.  Too much PPP that has blown up in their collective faces with respect to the offense that has to be remedied beginning next season. 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

?PPP?

P*** Poor Planning

Draft Class Heroes: Tennessee's Lone Shining Star - The Draft Network

Villains of the Week: Teams That Are Cooked

It seems harsh to call the NFL teams that are unofficially eliminated from the playoffs by Week 4 “villains”, but the world is a harsh place, so we’ll just have to get over it.

The Buffalo Bills are a franchise in complete limbo right now, which is a weird spot to be in after breaking the longest playoff drought in any of the four major sports last season. The Bills fortuitous victory against the Vikings aside, this looks like a team destined for 3-4 wins at best. Josh Allen has been bad, but he’ll be the least of their concerns next offseason, when the team should work diligently to get an entire new starting offense around him.

While becoming a great QB isn’t a science, those that say “having a terrible OL and terrible WRs can’t ruin a QB” is just ridiculous.  No one can prove that David Carr would’ve always sucked if he didn’t get destroyed his first few seasons.  He may very well have become a solid QB.  He played the position scared because he was running for his life on every snap.  This IS currently happening to Josh Allen.  It’s been nearly impossible for him to keep his eyes downfield all season.  

Sure, he needs to get better at reading the defenses and hitting his hot routes while adjusting the protection.  No doubt, that’s his inexperience in those aspects are contributing to him getting sacked.  But that doesn’t mean he can’t get better at these aspects over time.  It probably won’t happen this year. Maybe not next year.  Problem being, if he continues to get wrecked like he is now, he COULD very well be ruined by playing scared and looking to escape the pocket prematurely because it happens on the reg.  With a better OL and WRs that can get quicker separation he wouldn’t take as many beatings and he wouldn’t be so scared in the pocket.  

Sure, some great QBs might be able to overcome such a disadvantage and become their best version on a QB, but that doesn’t mean that some QBs can be destroyed by such a situation.

Hopefully Josh can avoid becoming a skittish pocket QB, but those that there is 100% certainty that a QB cannot be ruined under such terrible circumstances are just wrong.  He looked scared out there’ll Sunday from the second the second he got the ball in his hands till he inevitably hit the ground 

53 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You think our D looked solid?

They were playing one of the best qbs in history on the road, and the Packers were not going to be shut down. The D made a bunch of plays, generally held them to punts and FGs (only 2 TDs), and created some real TO opportunities. Plus the offense turned the ball over three times and couldn't move the ball at all. Holding a good offense to ~20-25 points on the road is a win in today's NFL.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

So much blame needs stop going to the O line and WR.

Allen is an issue.  He had these same habits in college.  This is the type of QB he is.  Maybe the Bills should have actually did some scouting while he was in college.

It's true he had a bad O line and bad WRs at Wyoming and mostly had to carry the team all on his own. To an 8-5 record and a bowl game win. 

He simply can't carry an NFL offense all on his own and he shouldn't have to. The current Buffalo Bills offensive line players are a bunch of clowns in blocking the wrong man, whiffing on blocks. It really is a clusterfluck of comedy that these supposed pros don't have a clue who to block half the time.

What does it tell you that the Bills needed 3 yards on 2nd and 3 with 7 offensive players on the line in the game and got two yards! Then on 3rd and one with the same 7 players couldn't get one yard. Shady got 7 yards on first down and the offense was so bad they couldn't get 3 yards in 2x attempts. This wasn't a goal line stand as it was at the Bills own 29 yard line.

So now that the run game doesn't work it all goes on the rookie QBs shoulders. Of course he is going to struggle attempting to carry the entire offense. Allen isn't the issue as it's the bad play calling, the lousy offensive line, the terrible WR corps. This OC, run game coordinator need to find a way to make the run game work to take pressure off that rookie QB. 

FYI, against the Vikings the Bills had 38 carries for 128 yards rushing. ToP 35:45 to 24:15 all due to a run game that worked. It also helped that the Bills got the lead at the start of the game and didn't need to play from behind. 

30 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

They were playing one of the best qbs in history on the road, and the Packers were not going to be shut down. The D made a bunch of plays, generally held them to punts and FGs (only 2 TDs), and created some real TO opportunities. Plus the offense turned the ball over three times and couldn't move the ball at all. Holding a good offense to ~20-25 points on the road is a win in today's NFL.

Dave, I agree, shutting out the Pack would be unreasonable.  What concerns me, and I would argue should concern you, is that the Bills allowed TD on 2 of the Pack's 3 possessions and let them march into Bills territory, almost into field goal range, on the third.  (As a result of the initial march into Bills territory the Bills were pinned on their own goal line 2nd possession and gave the Pack good field position despite a decent 50 yd punt.)

I'll grant that on one TD drive, the Bills D was "Rodgered" by a 43 yd pass.  Play Green Bay, Rodgering happens.  But the other was a crushing, 5:30 min run and grind.

Yes, you're correct, after that the Bills D did stiffen up and play much better including holding GB to a FG after an INT. 

But color me "not too impressed" by a D that spots the opposition to 13 or 16 points before they decide to show up and play.  I mean, Bully that they held the Pack to 2 FG in the 2nd half, but how about holding them to 1 or 2 FG in the first half to take the pressure off our young QB and keep him from feeling like he has to lift the team from behind, as well as to give him the ball back quickly to try again when we have inevitable 3-and-outs?

I'm sorry, I guess it's better than allowing 28 unanswered points, but that's not a "win" on D in the NFL I know today.  That's called taking a shovel and digging a pit for your team, and if McDermott is all focused on O as the problem and not addressing why his D doesn't come out of the tunnel with backbones instead of issuing them at halftime , he's making a mistake.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

P*** Poor Planning

Fits.

• Like (+1) 1