Bills vs. Packers All-22 Coaches Film Reviews

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

At no time did Josh Allen EVER at Wyoming beat a team as good as the Minnesota Vikings

I’m analyzing Allen, not his opponents. My point was that he looks the same as last year, and the year before that. This game and his performance are eerily similar to a lot of tape from Wyoming.

The big knocks on Allen are his accuracy and football IQ. While I credit him with showing some improved accuracy on the short stuff in Minny, I think the scheme helped him. Everything reverted back to his baseline when he was unable to read the D in Green Bay, accuracy was brutal and he looked lost/overwhelmed.

That being said, I’m biased. I read a ton about him and watched as much analysis of his film as I could find and wanted nothing to do with him, had him ranked behind Jackson, lol.

What do people expect? This is how Allen look in college against teams that werent San Jose State. He was drafted for his physical tools, not performance. There's a reason he go no offers out of HS, was a backup in JUCO and then only had one offer to play in Wyoming. He's the ultimate project and he surrounded him with questionable coaching and worse player personnel

13 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

I hope to Christ we have sometime in the room showing this to Allen just like Orlovsky and Warner broke it down on Twitter. 

Which one we going with - they both broke it down completely differently! ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

I’m analyzing Allen, not his opponents. My point was that he looks the same as last year, and the year before that. This game and his performance are eerily similar to a lot of tape from Wyoming.

The big knocks on Allen are his accuracy and football IQ. While I credit him with showing some improved accuracy on the short stuff in Minny, I think the scheme helped him. Everything reverted back to his baseline when he was unable to read the D in Green Bay, accuracy was brutal and he looked lost/overwhelmed.

That being said, I’m biased. I read a ton about him and watched as much analysis of his film as I could find and wanted nothing to do with him, had him ranked behind Jackson, lol.

There are like 5 guys from his Junior year team that play in the NFL. That's stacked for that conference. He had more interceptions his junior year too, so it's possible that he does in fact trust his arm too much. 

Hopefully Allen’s Wonderlic score can come into play early in his career so he can be our franchise QB.  Pettine owner him on Sunday.  We need a real qb guru that can help him with these reads.

I feel like we’re undermanned in the coaching department.  Daboll has done nothing in the NFL.  Our QB coach isn’t a Qb coach.  Our OL coach was the worst dc in league history a few years back.  His Oline in Baltimore was good....yet his running game sucked.  Frazier is the only one with any success at his position and he’s as bland as can be the majority of the time. 

I like McD and I believe he’ll get us where we want to be.....if he can get the proper coaches around him.  I don’t believe these guys are gonna cut it.  

4 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

Thank you for clarifying that you are biased......I actually give credit to you for that as most will not admit it.

1 hour ago, Buddy Hix said:

I saw this tweet and it kind of irked me. Because we all know the line and WRs suck and should be replaced, but Allen is supposed to be the building block and he is making high school QB mistakes.

I don't know that I agree with Sal's analysis of the first pass play.  OK, I lie: with the caveat that I generally think Sal is a good guy and knows something while I am "only an egg", in this case I think what he's saying is bunk, and I'd love to hear from someone else more knowledgeable. 

Look at the geometry here when Sal is saying this is where Allen should throw.  If Allen led Benjamin, wouldn't he be throwing right at the "1" in the 10 yd line, and if he missed on the throw, Benjamin muffed it or the DB races up - Pick 6?   It would also be a whole 2 yd gain.  The ball is on the 6 yd line.  Benjamin is on the 8, and the DB is well-positioned to be sure he doesn't get far.    I don't think the play was designed to go to Benjamin at all, and certainly not early with him only 2 yds downfield.  

When next Sal wants him to throw, Allen would be throwing directly over Dawkins and the LB, who jumps for the ball.  Allen is waiting until the lane to Benjamin is inside them.

image.thumb.png.bf90e277bfe1682373ba44da2d31d703.png

As I said above, with all that protection and time, I don't think that play was designed with Benjamin as the target 2 yds downfield.  I think Allen's first target was Zay Jones, who may get jammed a bit and delayed a beat, but ends up open on the 24 yd line, just after Allen throws with what looks like a clear lane and time to hit him.  Allen's real rookie mistake may have been not trusting his protection a bit longer to make the throw to Zay, though I can't fault a rookie for NOT taking extra time near his own endzone.  I make it about 3 seconds between the snap, and Zay completing his route.  That's too long.
image.thumb.png.4df4b71ed75573092c51cd2e15510aaa.png

Sal also points out Benjamin's route running mistake - that Benjamin stops on the route and could have been continually running, in which case he would have had an easier catch where he could have 'boxed out' the DB.  Benjamin and Allen are clearly not on the same page.  Even so, the ball hit Benjamin in the hands, and #1 WR around the league haul that in every day.  Look at the ball.  Look at Benjamin's hands.  Yes, the DB has an arm in there, but Benjamin gets out-muscled.  It's a high degree of difficulty catch, but you see top WR make them every Sunday.
image.png.ceb3beafb37716c3e912b65f04bb555d.png

Anyway, again, I think Sal is mistaken in his analysis of this play in placing the fault on Allen and I don't think it's a "HS QB mistake".   I think Allen was trying to execute the design of the play, for whatever reason Zay's route took too long to complete, Benjamin was his outlet, and Benjamin sat on his route then didn't haul in a difficult, but catchable ball.

But I could be wrong, I often am.

Edit: Sal is clearly right about the 2nd down play where Mills and Miller get beaten like drums, and on the 3rd down play the coverage is good though I do think Allen was throwing off-platform and the ball sailed high on him.  A better throw gives Benjamin a shot.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know that I agree with Sal's analysis of the first pass play.  OK, I lie: with the caveat that I generally think Sal is a good guy and knows something while I am "only an egg", in this case I think what he's saying is bunk, and I'd love to hear from someone else more knowledgeable. 

Look at the geometry here when Sal is saying this is where Allen should throw.  If Allen led Benjamin, wouldn't he be throwing right at the "1" in the 10 yd line, and if he missed on the throw, Benjamin muffed it or the DB races up - Pick 6?   It would also be a whole 2 yd gain.  The ball is on the 6 yd line.  Benjamin is on the 8, and the DB is well-positioned to be sure he doesn't get far.    I don't think the play was designed to go to Benjamin at all, and certainly not early with him only 2 yds downfield.  

When next Sal wants him to throw, Allen would be throwing directly over Dawkins and the LB, who jumps for the ball.  Allen is waiting until the lane to Benjamin is inside them.

As I said above, with all that protection and time, I don't think that play was designed with Benjamin as the target 2 yds downfield.  I think Allen's first target was Zay Jones, who may get jammed a bit and delayed a beat, but ends up open on the 24 yd line, just after Allen throws with what looks like a clear lane and time to hit him.  Allen's real rookie mistake may have been not trusting his protection a bit longer to make the throw to Zay, though I can't fault a rookie for NOT taking extra time near his own endzone.  I make it about 3 seconds between the snap, and Zay completing his route.  That's too long.

Sal also points out Benjamin's route running mistake - that Benjamin stops on the route and could have been continually running, in which case he would have had an easier catch where he could have 'boxed out' the DB.  Benjamin and Allen are clearly not on the same page.  Even so, the ball hit Benjamin in the hands, and #1 WR around the league haul that in every day.  Look at the ball.  Look at Benjamin's hands.  Yes, the DB has an arm in there, but Benjamin gets out-muscled.  It's a high degree of difficulty catch, but you see top WR make them every Sunday.

Anyway, again, I think Sal is mistaken in his analysis of this play in placing the fault on Allen and I don't think it's a "HS QB mistake".   I think Allen was trying to execute the design of the play, for whatever reason Zay's route took too long to complete, Benjamin was his outlet, and Benjamin sat on his route then didn't haul in a difficult, but catchable ball.

Edit: Sal is clearly right about the 2nd down play where Mills and Miller get beaten like drums, and on the 3rd down play the coverage is good though I do think Allen was throwing off-platform and the ball sailed high on him.  A better throw gives Benjamin a shot.

fair post. thanks for taking a longer look. good read !

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Thank you for clarifying that you are biased......I actually give credit to you for that as most will not admit it.

I try to be honest in my conversations, and I try to see other’s point of views.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, I think you raise a good point, cheers.

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He lost me at “as the offensive line doesn’t look truly bad”

At best, that’s a highly selective view so extreme it casts the rest of his post into question.

Did the OL give Allen time enough at times and he and his WR failed to take advantage of it?  Yes.

Did Allen show some bad judgement in INTs and taking sacks?  Yes.

DId he make some bad throws?  Yes.

Did the OL look truly truly bad at times?  Oh yeah.  Also yes.  There really can’t be any reasonable argument on this point.