Comp Comittee proposed rule changes

AKC

While I wouldn't argue against the proposed 15 yard non-flagrant PI call to replace the spot foul as an improvement to the current system, we once again find the league protecting the Zebras when the technology to make a quantaum leap in getting PI calls right goes unused. If we're going to keep Instant Replay it's shamefull that the league refuses to let it be used to review the most devastating bad calls every Sunday, calls that in many cases go against defenders making superb plays on the ball. If it's good enough to be used to determine nearly meaningless fumbles on 4th down plays, why the continued resistance to employ it on 70-yard outcome impacting plays with the game on the line in favor of the half-measures they're currently suggesting?

Completely agree AKC.

Another issue is why doesn't the NFL train some younger, faster officials with better eyesight ? The game is much too fast for these older refs who continue to make galling blunders on a weekly basis. Then they spend 3-4 minutes at midfield having a committee meeting of stupidity, driving everyone insane.

While I wouldn't argue against the proposed 15 yard non-flagrant PI call to replace the spot foul as an improvement to the current system, we once again find the league protecting the Zebras when the technology to make a quantaum leap in getting PI calls right goes unused. If we're going to keep Instant Replay it's shamefull that the league refuses to let it be used to review the most devastating bad calls every Sunday, calls that in many cases go against defenders making superb plays on the ball. If it's good enough to be used to determine nearly meaningless fumbles on 4th down plays, why the continued resistance to employ it on 70-yard outcome impacting plays with the game on the line in favor of the half-measures they're currently suggesting?

282371[/snapback]

The reason is obvious as to why they won't implement instant replay the correct way: it makes too much sense.

the only thing i would change is the automatic first down for illegal contact. it should be a spot foul.

but this would just pressure CBs in to just throwing a guy to the ground if he got beat on a 3rd and 20 play. better to be 3rd and 10 than 1st and 10.

I agree with this as well. Too many games are decided on bogus PI calls or non-calls. The best example from last would be the Skins-Cowobys Monday night game. The Dallas DB tackled the Wash. WR in the endzone and there was no flag, the Wash. DB breathed on the Dallas WR in the endzone, flag. That was the difference in the game.

People say it's a judgement call, but that's a cop-out. By that logic there's no such thing as a good/bad call. In most cases you can tell what's PI and what isn't on the replay. In the cases of a debatable gray area, just let the call on the field stand, but a lot of the time it's more black & white than you might think.

I agree with this as well.  Too many games are decided on bogus PI calls or non-calls.  The best example from last would be the Skins-Cowobys Monday night game.  The Dallas DB tackled the Wash. WR in the endzone and there was no flag, the Wash. DB breathed on the Dallas WR in the endzone, flag.  That was the difference in the game.

People say it's a judgement call, but that's a cop-out.  By that logic there's no such thing as a good/bad call.  In most cases you can tell what's PI and what isn't on the replay.  In the cases of a debatable gray area, just let the call on the field stand, but a lot of the time it's more black & white than you might think.

282405[/snapback]

I tend to disagree here. This call, more than most, can depend on the camera angles. Now, if you can tell me that all stadiums will have the exact same high def cameras in the same sight lines for every single game, maybe there is a workable system. Plus all the games owuld be in Hi Def, yippee

I also think they should get rid of the uncatchable rule, except in cases where the ball was deliberatley thrown away. These athletes are capable of some amazing things now, and to me , most times the ball was uncatchable because the reciever couldn,t get to where he was supposed to be because he was being interfered with. I still say that had Dwight Clark been held by the Cowboys on "the Catch" it would have been ruled uncatchable!