Wow, I didn't see this coming...

Paul Silas was fired as coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers on Monday with his team fighting for a playoff spot after being in first place earlier in the year.

Silas told the Associated Press he was called in Monday morning for a brief meeting with general manager Jim Paxson and new owner Dan Gilbert.

"They released me," Silas said. "They didn't think the team was performing as well as it should be and they wanted to make a change."

Despite having league superstar LeBron James, the Cavaliers have struggled since the All-Star break, losing nine of 12 and nine straight road games, including Sunday's 105-98 loss to Toronto when James scored a franchise-record 56.

Silas said he was not given a detailed explanation of why he was fired, but there have been issues over the last few weeks that have resulted in the Cavaliers' slide after they went into the All-Star break 30-21.

It all may have culminated Sunday when Silas benched starting guard Jeff McInnis and replaced him with Eric Snow. Snow did not score in Cleveland's loss at Toronto and McInnis, despite dressed and available, didn't play.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/8313108

How much you want to bed they fired the coach because Lebron was upset.

Players run the NBA...which is part of the reason the league sucks.

282042[/snapback]

Surprised nobody said they fired him becuase he is black. The truth is that LeBron is the only player on the team, and no coach can win with just one player. Even the great Phil Jackson had to teach Michael Jordan to play with his teammates.

How much you want to bed they fired the coach because Lebron was upset.

Players run the NBA...which is part of the reason the league sucks.

282042[/snapback]

Thats somewhat true, but where it is mentioned that Lebron ran the coach out of town?

Why do so many people come to conclusions that aren't even talked about?

Surprised nobody said  they fired him becuase he is black.  The truth is that LeBron is the only player on the team, and no coach can win with just one player.  Even the great Phil Jackson had to teach Michael Jordan to play with his teammates.

282058[/snapback]

That's the key. king Lebron can only do so much by himself. Without other good players, the owner shouldn't expect the coach to take them to the championship.

Did anyone hear the audio of what he called his former player carlos boozer?  All i have to say is it starts with a C and ends with a nt (and its not cant).

282242[/snapback]

Reminds me of one of my favorite jokes of all-time:

"The only time Bill Clinton ever paid attention to the UN was when they were surrounded by a C and a T".

One of the few Dennis Miller punchlines I've ever understood.

Thats somewhat true, but where it is mentioned that Lebron ran the coach out of town?

Why do so many people come to conclusions that aren't even talked about?

282266[/snapback]

But it was talked about, ESPN has an article up now about it. Its "insider" so i couldnt read it, but the headline said "Silas was fired to keep James happy and at home in Ohio". I swear 2 or 3 nights ago i was watchin sportcenter and Cleveland lost (again) so i thought to myself, why dont they fire Silas but my inner head said they wont because I thought James really liked him, i guess it wasnt like that. I know its messed up in ways that players of high caliber can sway the owners hand but James is the best player in the league (talent wise) and Cleveland needs him, like it was said up there they have no one else, next to Ilgauskes (hes a baller). Gooden can be a good player on his good days but he can also be downright awful, and hes too soft in the paint, hes a 6-10 finesse player. Bench McGinnis, start Snow and since McGinnis is a better scorer they'll get that punch comin off the bench with less turnovers. They need to also get rid of Ira Newble (silas' little puppy)

Paul Silas was fired as coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers on Monday with his team fighting for a playoff spot after being in first place earlier in the year.

Silas told the Associated Press he was called in Monday morning for a brief meeting with general manager Jim Paxson and new owner Dan Gilbert.

"They released me," Silas said. "They didn't think the team was performing as well as it should be and they wanted to make a change."

Despite having league superstar LeBron James, the Cavaliers have struggled since the All-Star break, losing nine of 12 and nine straight road games, including Sunday's 105-98 loss to Toronto when James scored a franchise-record 56.

Silas said he was not given a detailed explanation of why he was fired, but there have been issues over the last few weeks that have resulted in the Cavaliers' slide after they went into the All-Star break 30-21.

It all may have culminated Sunday when Silas benched starting guard Jeff McInnis and replaced him with Eric Snow. Snow did not score in Cleveland's loss at Toronto and McInnis, despite dressed and available, didn't play.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/8313108

282007[/snapback]

Stupid move.Jordan's teams were slightly above 500 in his early days when he had no talent around him. They had nobody exc LeBron and made a few bonehead offseason moves last year.--Either the owner/GM is a moron or LeBron wanted him out.

On the Mike Trivasanno show here in Cleveland, Mike inteviewed the new owner. He told Mike that Paul was "unflexibile". If that means he was too hard on the players then I gotta say they made a bad move. Paul is probably the only coach to get Tractor Trailer to dive for a ball, before Silas he would only dive for cheeseburgers!