TBN Piece: Fifty Years Ago - The 1968 Buffalo Bills

26CornerBlitz

I was 12 during the 1968 season and learned some harsh realities of life.  As a younger boy, I idolized Cookie and Kemp and Sestak and Shaw and Maguire and Golden Wheels and Byrd and Day and McDole and Jacobs and Stratton and Gogolak and Saban, and their success had me thinking that as a boy from Buffalo, I couldn't be stopped.  We beat Boston for the East, and then we beat San Diego for the championship, and life was going to be good.

Over the next few years, the team and the city collapsed.  Bethlehem Steel left Lackawanna, Trico moved to Mexico, and in 1968 the team became the epitome of suckitude.  They couldn't even win the OJ lottery, due to that exciting win over the Jets.  But fortunately at the end of the season, Philadelphia totally screwed up and lost out on the top pick (as I recall, getting a tie in their last game, but I can't be sure) and the Bills got OJ while Philly got -- Leroy Keyes, I think.  Some guy who was orders of magnitude less a player than Simpson. 

But in 1968 I realized that relying on a football team for my sense of self and my happiness was stupid.  I had to find my own way and my own success.  That was a hard lesson for a junior high kid from West Seneca, but it's a lesson everyone has to learn.  How sad it must be to be a kid growing up a Patriots fan, who never has to learn that lesson until too late in life. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

First season I can recall with any type of clarity

Ditto. -and this particular game, listening to Van call it, hooked me bad for the rest of my life. All the QBs who played and went down -from Kemp/Flores to Darragh/Stephenson to Eddy Rutkowski added up to Drafting a superstar RB from USC 1st overall.

Still (always) a Top 5 game in team history for me.

Like others this was one of the first seasons I remember as well. I didn’t attend my first game at The  Rockpile until the next season (KC with Len Dawson and Mike Garret). That 68 season shaped my expectations for the Bills from there until today. Somehow now it seems like it’d be easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for this franchise to get it all together for one glorious, possibly miraculous  run!