So am I to understand from TD's remarks...

He can make the 40-50 yarders in Madden 2005. I think Rian just needs to practice his accuracy meter. Once he gets the timing right on when to hit A I am sure he'll start nailing those puppies.

By the way, his first name bothers me.

282028[/snapback]

Isn't Maddenland the same place where we can sign every available free agent also?

That isn't what I said. Him! What he said. That isnt what HE said.

He said we were LUCKY to have a kicker so good from within the 10. And I for one agree. It almost makes me ashamed to be part of this community.

HIM!

Makes him ashamed. Oh boy, I better start calling the local sports talkshows:devil:

I think we also gotta remember what GM were talking about here...the same guy who said that he was turned off by Losman's attitude and said he didn't want anything to do with him...Just so happens he traded away our first pick this year to get him. You never can trust what Donahoe says. The guy seems to be the master of the smoke screen. Who knows.

A CB who can cover the slot WRs.

A LG and a C who can stand up to the bull rushes of the massive DTs of today's NFL.

A pass rusher, from the DE or the LB spot, who can come in on 3rd downs and bring the kind of rush that will help the DBs cover better and can possibly generate more turnovers.

Depth at RB, LB, TE, and on both the offensive and defensive lines.

A wonderful summary, Rich. Are these in priority order? If not, how would you rate these?

Astro

I am concerned about our kicker. I think Lindell sucks. Everytime he takes the field

my heart drops. And the 1 important kick he had all last year, he missed. I think our kicker is glaring problem that needs to be addressed this off-season. The Bills have to get a guy in here that can kick the ball over 30 yards.

While his percentages improved, a good part of that can be attributed to the fact that we kicked, or went for it, on some occaisions, when teams with better kickers would have tried a field goal...

Yeah, Lindell did a good jobs on kick-offs, but that is only half of his job...it would be like saying, Bledsoe was terrible on short passes last year, but he handed the ball off well...replacing Lindell may not be the top priority right now, but it should be in the top 3-5....he has been in the leauge long enogh, that we can't write this off as being a slump...he has had one decent season in his NFL carreer, as a Seahawk...the rest of the time, he has been mediocre, at his very best...he may not have missed a lot of kicks last season, but the ones he did miss were mostly very makeable for the average NFL kicker....

282016[/snapback]

I don't disagree with your assessment (in fact crediting kickoffs with being half the game is actually a lot better than most posters who simply ignore it).

I just agree with BINYC that the Bills need a kicker who can hit from over 40 yards (and inspires the HC confidence that he can), However, due to:

1. the ST's outstanding performance in kick coverage (which like it or not Lindell following April's orders to a T and not fooling his tacklers who must assume the ball is going where they think it is and in a time amount they think it will get there was a key part of this accomplishment

2. Lindell doing incredibly well in one of our 3 onside kicks and kicking it to the right spot by Rashad Baker did not cover the ball on another one.

3. The 650K cap hit if we let Lindell go which is not an impossible amount but significant if we have other OL, TE expenditures we need to make.

4. You correctly pointing out Lindell has one good season to his credit in Seattle, but he improved a lot from his horrendous 2003 numbers to his inadequate numbers in 2004.

BINYC is right that we need a kicker who can consistently hit FGs over 40 yards (though the numbers which show virtually no kicker did this in the Rich winds last year are interesting do not excuse Lindell but should not be totally ignored by the thinking fan). However, it appears to me that the Bills are quite likely to try to get to this outcome by having April work with Lindell.

After the horrendous shank in Pittsburrgh by Lindell it is pretty reasonable to wonder if this is going to work out, but it seems far more reasonable to me than passing on using the high draft pick likely necessary for Nugent on getting OL or TE help which are also critical for us getting Ws.

We need a kicker who can hit consistently beyond 40 yards and it appears that we all are going to have to root for Bobby April to coach Lindell to the same improvement level in 2005 from his shank in '04 that he got out of him from improving from horrendous in 03 up to merely inadequate in 04.