So am I to understand from TD's remarks...

He sounded to me like he was defending Lindell on the BB.Com (ask the g.m.) segment last week. I figure that he was trying to save face on his decision to bring him in here! I do recall whenever I was researching RL on the Seattle site that part of the reason that they dumped him was although he posted decent numbers he ultimately was the anti-vinatieri as far as coming through in the clutch! I just hope whatever camp fodder we bring in to compete against him seriously kicks his ass in every kicking category and we dump this joker!! :doh:;)

Isn't he still available......or did someone sign him? (or did he retire?)

281635[/snapback]

Not sure! We need one of those super posters with endless knowledge of every NFL players current stats, whereabouts, home addresses, dress sizes, etc. I personally think we should follow KC and INDY's lead and sign one of the top kickers in the CFL for peanuts which is still double what they're making now! Lawrence Tynes played for the Ottawa Renegades and Mike Vanderjagt started with the Toronto Argonauts! I'm Canadian EH! :doh:

I think most posters have ignored several issues due to the reasonable pissed off reaction most fans had to his shank of a makeable kick in the Pitts game:

1. Lindells's #s for making kicks actually improved a significant chunk in 2004 over 2003. TD pointed out some of the specifics on BB.com and this fig leaf actually exists if you choose to have faith in Lindell's ability.

2. Lindell did not get the job done at all as a FG goal kicker, but he was quite good and the ST was extremely productive with him kicking exactly where (depth pf kick. hangtome) April told him to kick it if the Bills good numbers in kick coverage mean that the kicks did not fool the tacklers at all about where the ball was going.

Last week one poster provided an exhautive statistical analysis of the Bills getting great drive starts and holding opponents to short returns and it is hard to see how good work by Lindell was not a part of this.

3. We, like most teams tried few onside kicks, but Lindell did nothing short of a masterful job on the 1 recovery of our 3 onside attempts as he and the ST completely folled the opponents it was coming, he kicked it with great pace and distance and he recovered it himself.

4. The cap hit which we would get for cutting Lindell is not huge ($575K), but as we are running everything close to the edge cap wise, we would certainly need to make some significant moves to cover this hit and the real possibility exists that even this amount might cost us getting the OL, TE or back-up RB help we need which are even more crucial to our fate in the W/L column.

In my book Lindell is a major disappointment and underscores one of TD major GM errors in a fairly stupid comment from him that good kickers are a dime-a-dozen in the NFL (yeah, tell that to Ariens (who was not good), Graham (who it turns out is good but we didn't hold on to him), Hollis (who also was good before his injury but we couldn't reach a deal with him either). or Christie (who despite our cut is still kicking effectively and actually still lives in the area).

However, even if Nugent is a great kicker in terms of FG and a boomer as a college kicker, he likely would still have to learn kicking in the pro ST game and with the shorter tee and longer distance there is no gurantee he would be able to reproduce some good Lindell KO results.

Lindell has clearly not been up to the level we need in terms of making MM comfortable with FG attempts over 40 yards (the posted statistical examiination actually indicates that virtually the entire rest of the league which player in the Ralph or against the Bills also sucked on FGs over 40 yards). However, his lack of success stems from him not being called upon to do this by the lack of MM confidence and dumb chance (most games were blow-outs either way (ex. Cle, NE)or the other team had the ball instead of the Bills for the money kick (NYJ)

I for one would love to see Nugent here, but not at the cost of improving our OL which I see as a bigger need and Nugent would likely be gone by the time a pick rolled around we could spend on him.

I think our best option is going to be trying to improve Lindell's FG game to the level he showed in Seattle which led TD to give him to big and long a contract for his level of production.

We need a kicker who can hit from 40+ yards. Period.

281869[/snapback]

AND...

A CB who can cover the slot WRs.

A LG and a C who can stand up to the bull rushes of the massive DTs of today's NFL.

A pass rusher, from the DE or the LB spot, who can come in on 3rd downs and bring the kind of rush that will help the DBs cover better and can possibly generate more turnovers.

Depth at RB, LB, TE, and on both the offensive and defensive lines.

Period.

I hope he's looking to upgrade that part of the game. In Buffalo's weather, a good kicker can give you the edge over other teams that aren't accustomed to the swirling winds and cold temps.

I'd like to see a better kicker for sure. I know lindell improved, but IMHO not enough. I want a guy who is automatic. I hate seeing Lindell line up because I don't think he's automatic.

He sounded to me like he was defending Lindell on the BB.Com (ask the g.m.) segment last week. I figure that he was trying to save face on his decision to bring him in here! I do recall whenever I was researching RL on the Seattle site that part of the reason that they dumped him was although he posted decent numbers he ultimately was the anti-vinatieri as far as coming through in the clutch! I just hope whatever camp fodder we bring in to compete against him seriously kicks his ass in every kicking category and we dump this joker!! :doh:  ;)

281623[/snapback]

:doh:

He's ranked 6th in the NFL among FG kickers who attempted at least 25 FGs with an 85.7% success rate, and he's automatic inside the 40 (over 91%).

His KOs have good height and distance, which is a huge part of Bflo being amongst the league leaders in KO coverage.

He had a decent season. I'm not sure why anyone would entertain the notion of replacing him, especially, as RRich pointed out, when we have much more pressing issues.

I think most posters have ignored several issues due to the reasonable pissed off reaction most fans had to his shank of a makeable kick in the Pitts game:

1. Lindells's #s for making kicks actually improved a significant chunk in 2004 over 2003. TD pointed out some of the specifics on BB.com and this fig leaf actually exists if you choose to have faith in Lindell's ability.

281790[/snapback]

While his percentages improved, a good part of that can be attributed to the fact that we kicked, or went for it, on some occaisions, when teams with better kickers would have tried a field goal...

Yeah, Lindell did a good jobs on kick-offs, but that is only half of his job...it would be like saying, Bledsoe was terrible on short passes last year, but he handed the ball off well...replacing Lindell may not be the top priority right now, but it should be in the top 3-5....he has been in the leauge long enogh, that we can't write this off as being a slump...he has had one decent season in his NFL carreer, as a Seahawk...the rest of the time, he has been mediocre, at his very best...he may not have missed a lot of kicks last season, but the ones he did miss were mostly very makeable for the average NFL kicker....

Lets not give Lindell THAT much credit...

Remember the FG he missed in the Jacksonville game? If he hits that, the horrible finish wouldn't be so horrible. We could have gone into overtime. Who knows, we could have lost...but we never got that chance. In a year when we were one game out of the playoffs - every game mattered. The weather was perfect, too.

We all know about the Pitt game...

But like everyone else...we need O-line help before Nugent, as much as it pains me to say it.

But like everyone else...we need O-line help before Nugent, as much as it pains me to say it.

282019[/snapback]

Don't be afraid to say it, Josh. It's not our fault that the offensive line hasn't been properly addressed since the days of Kent Hull.

We need a kicker who can hit from 40+ yards. Period.

281869[/snapback]

He can make the 40-50 yarders in Madden 2005. I think Rian just needs to practice his accuracy meter. Once he gets the timing right on when to hit A I am sure he'll start nailing those puppies.

By the way, his first name bothers me.