Assessment of TD as a negotiator

The following is my player-by-player assessment of whether TD did a good job for Bills fans and the Bills (these are two different things in this society of ours as we are the customers and they are entertainment provider, our interests often coincide because a maxim in business is that the customer is always right or you will not be in business for long, but the seller and the buyers intetests are simply different) in terms of assessing players on our roster and negotiating deals with them within the market place.

Many fans (incorrectly in my view) make the assumption that a particular player is worth a particular amount based on his play or the prospects for his future play. No. A player is worth )is paid) what the market says he is worth. Worse players will get more money than better players depending on what the market allows and comparisons of players based on their play are indicative of things but far from conclusive in terms of what we should offer or what he will be paid.

In addition, this list is developed with a sense that ALL NFL PLAYERS ARE OVERPAID. I value even the best of NFL plauers and even my favorite Bills much less than I value thework done by our troops in the Mideast. firemen, police officers, etc). Pay and salary are based on market worth and not on value to society so all of these assessments are fairly mercenary assessments of worth to the Bills and the entertainment they provide by putting up Ws rather than Ls:

PS (TD gets the primary blame/credit because the buck stops with him, but clearly the assessment and training is the work and responsibility of many people in the Bills braintrust, but because Modrak and MM are primarily TD creatures I will use TD as a shorthand for them all).

95 Adams, Sam DT 6-4 335 31 11 Texas A&M- Great job by TD who not only got SA for less than he could have gotten in the market. but great management of this employee by him taking far fewer plays off than he has historically over the last two years.

89 Aiken, Sam WR 6-2 204 24 2 North Carolina- OK job by TD sd the amount of his draft contract was pretty much determined by slot and he was a draft pick who has potential in his third year to really contribute to this team if he improves his game.

69 Anderson, Tim DT 6-3 304 24 R Ohio State - OK job by TD as the amount of the contract is slotted but drafting a DT early was clearly a need move as we lost PW to FA. His play does not yet show hw is up to the task yet, but we will see thi year for sure.

26 Baker, Rashad FS 5-10 198 23 R Tennessee- Great job getting this UDFA and paying him the minimum while he plays well enough to push for a starting job. Definite rookie errors but epitomizes bang for the buck concept with last years play.

97 Bannan, Justin DT 6-3 305 25 3 Colorado - Amount also determined by slotting. However, good play as a rookie was followed by a couple of disappointing years at DT. Folks are probably more excited by his work at LG in the redzone last year. However, if he is going to merit the money he makes a revival in his DT prospects is likely what we will have to see and LG development will likely take him a couple of years and the escalators in his contract probably are not worth keeping him merely to learn a new position.

30 Brown, Dante RB 6-1 215 24 2 Memphis - Non-issue as far as I am concerned as he likely gets the minimum and has contributed like it.

Joe Burns- I am adding him since he was resigned but was not moved into the roster yet. Signing him is probably a good idea with the loss of Prioleau imcreasing the importance of having experienced SR around. Uncertainty at RB also gives an experienced Bills RB some value even though he has not produced much in this role for us. If his contract amount is much above the vet minimum we are probably reaching here.

84 Campbell, Mark TE 6-6 255 29 6 Michigan - Pretty good pick-up by TD and the Bills as we got a starter in exchange for a conditional draft pick which was a 6th rounder or so. His cap ihot jas creeped up over a million but this is a small price to pay for a starter who shined in a couple of games last year. The injury he suffered to his ACL and his age make him a candidate for an injury settlement unless TD is right the he will be a full speed by pre-season this year.

22 Clements, Nate CB 6-0 209 25 4 Ohio State - Amount was set by his slot, but kudo to TD for trading down the year he was drafted when we desperately needed extra picks in a rebuilding year imposed by cap hell. He got an escalator for making the Pro Bowl which TD and the gang agreed to include to the detriment of our cap. but complaining about this is not only useless but silly since he preformed well and got paid for that.

55 Crowell, Angelo LB 6-1 235 23 2 Virginia - Another player whose salary is determined by slot. The jury is still out in judging the player assessment as though there is the good news that he contributed to a successful ST unit there is non-news since we have not needed him to contribute on the field as he backs up Spikes. In theory, if he was great he would show the LB skills to allow him to flop sides and challenge Posey, but give the successful performance of the D and ST there is no requirement that this happen. Figure him as an OK pick-up but if he wants to be viewed as a great pick-up we need to hear some more noise from him.

92 Denney, Ryan DE 6-7 275 27 3 Brigham Young University Unlike many on TSW I jusge him to be a good and even approaching a very good pick-up. Most folks are spoiled by having Bruce Smith play be the level we are used to at DE. Obviously Denney is no where near a Bruce as a player. In addition, he was poor enough with his first year play that he was inactive much of the year (the rap on him was that he did not bend his big bodt down enough or in the right way and was easily exploited by a far less talented vet). However, he demonstrated the maturity he has an older player who took a couple of years off to do his BYU mission ny solving this problem enough to be a starter his second year. He lost the starter job to a more talented player (Kelsay) the next year, but the good news is that this seems to have as much to do with Kelsay being good as Denney issues. This is demonstrateg by Denney's flexibility allowing us to go with only 3 DEs as he could flip-flop. It is also demostrated by an INT in pre-season which shows Denney and his wingspan are valuable in the run blitz. Despite Kelsay being the starter Denney actually edged him out in tackles credited to hom last year. Folks who complain that Denney did not merit the Bills trading value to move up to get him overlook the fact that we literraly stole him with this move while Pitts (much to TDs glee I'm sure) was on the phone with him (testimony that anoyhrtpsrty had him ranked as the best DE available). This move up was dictated by us having to go OL in the 1st round and deciding to go with a talked about 1st round choice (Reed) who was still there in the 2nd. In addition those who site the picking of Kelsay the next year as confirmation of Denney's failure overlook the fact that with the loss of Wiley/Hansen/Big Ted and Bruce and the switch to a 4-3 from a 3-4 even if Denney had been a star we likely would have drafted a DE with out second pick in 2003 anyway.

49 Donnelly, Joe TE 6-3 250 24 R Syracuse - Likely roste fodder who deserves no more than the minimum/

54 Dorenbos, Jon LS 6-0 250 24 2 UTEP- another candidate for an injury settlement unless he comes back, but to TDs credit we already have a replacement for the S on the roster. LS is definitely a contributinh position onthis team but I doubt Dorenbos gets much over the vet minimum and with his injury and Banta in place does no deserve much more.

98 Edwards, Ron DT 6-3 320 25 4 Texas A&M - An interesting case. I would say TD made a bad assessment judgment drafting him because he was vitually singular among TD's 2001 draft class in being a disappointment (Clements, Schobel, Henry drafted before him became starters and Edwards and even Spoon drafted after him also became rookie starters while Edwards remaied mostly inactive. He was a started his second year but really by default and my arguments to those who labled Adms (signed to challenge him) as a fat tub of goo led me to reply so what as this is an upgrade over Edwards who was a skiny tub of goo. Nevertheless in his 4th season Edward did begin to show some production getting sacks as a back-up to SA and at one point in a game even forced this Pro Bowler to the bench. The FA loss of PW will likely give Edwards a chanc to demonstate whether the real Edwards was last year's sub threatening to become a starter or the first year player who was inactive or second year player whowas overmatched. At a cap hit of a million this is marginally an OK deal by TD but I would cut him unless he takes the starting DT job in pre-season.

60 Esposito, Jasen G 6-4 305 23 1 Kutztown 0 Cmp fodder who is OK at the minimum and probably makes the PS due to our uncertainty at OL.

87 Euhus, Tim TE 6-5 249 24 R Oregon State - An OK pick on the second day of the draft and the slotted salary it brought him. An ACL injury get him looked at closely and his youth and a TD produced last year gets him a look see if he is hurt instead of an inuiry settlement.

83 Evans, Lee WR 5-10 197 24 R Wisconsin - Great assessment of this slotted salary as he produced immediately. His raw speed makes a much better player out of Moulds. Put this one down as a good and potentially great TD pick-up.

59 Fletcher, London LB 5-10 245 29 7 John Carroll - I'd also list him as a great pick-up by TD. $3.8 million for the teams leading tackler on a D easily in the top 5 statistically two years in a row is a great pick-up. In addition to this he is a team captain who has demonstrated by his correct onfield complaining about various ref calls and slow substitutions by GW that he knows what is going on in this game. He stepped up to have some value as a wedge buster and hands guy on ST. The only complaint I have is that he gets little to psyched up to play his game and got a couple of out of control penalties last year (though one was a stupid call bu the ref Fletcher did not derserve). Still a great value for the Bills at his salary and a good move by TD. Those who advocated cutting him seem to know little about football.

-- Gandy, Mike OL 6-4 310 26 4 Notre Dame - Not sure what the cap numbers are, but my understanding is that he signed for a very low base salary (appropriate for a player I judge to be at about back-up talent though I have no idea if JMac sees something with his profesional eye I am missing completely with my amateur eye. In addition who knows what escalators are actually in the contract, though if these escalators are tied to real world production like games started or minutes played they are a fine idea from my standpoint (as long as the cap amount comes out of someone else not making an escalator- the Butler gift of guranteed $ to RJ while Flutie played like we wanted him to and this cost us big time should be avoided, He looks like a nice pick-up cap wise for the Marcus Price role,

37 Greer, Jabari CB 5-11 169 23 R Tennessee - Another goo pick0up by TD as he is threatening to produce his way into a nickel spot for the NFL minimum.

I'll knock here for dinner- more later

OMG, I'm not reading all that!

WOW....................... :doh:

281501[/snapback]

No prob since as always feedback on my rantings is appreciate but not required as I use these writings to lend format to research and to prepare discussion points for figuring out Bills goings on with my buddies in real life.

Wow, that is a thorough workup.

For the most part, it works out pretty favorably for TD and the $ he decides to shell out. It's also nice to have a good scouting department and the mindset to not be afraid to have rookies or inexperienced players as backups. Too many people here feel the need to sign expensive worldbeaters for all 53 roster spots.

I do disagree with the assessment of Ron Edwards somewhat. His appearance was after Ted Washington left and his linemate was a relatively inexperienced Pat Williams. Then he's playing behind Sam Adams. It's hard to improve your game by leaps and bounds playing behind these guys but he has made big strides, pointing especially to the Cincy game this past season. Judging him is premature as the guy is still only 25. Look how long it took for Fat Pat to crack the lineup.

Wow, that is a thorough workup.

For the most part, it works out pretty favorably for TD and the $ he decides to shell out. It's also nice to have a good scouting department and the mindset to not be afraid to have rookies or inexperienced players as backups. Too many people here feel the need to sign expensive worldbeaters for all 53 roster spots.

I do disagree with the assessment of Ron Edwards somewhat. His appearance was after Ted Washington left and his linemate was a relatively inexperienced Pat Williams. Then he's playing behind Sam Adams. It's hard to improve your game by leaps and bounds playing behind these guys but he has made big strides, pointing especially to the Cincy game this past season. Judging him is premature as the guy is still only 25. Look how long it took for Fat Pat to crack the lineup.

281588[/snapback]

I'd agree that I have been a bit harsh in my judgment on Edwards, but I would sat that my harshness has not been without reason in that it is also hard to improve your game when you turn out to be so bad as a rookie that ypu emd up inactive on a team that does not have much in competing with you at all. It took am injury to do it, but my gosh Brandon Spoon was even good enough to get PT (and actually contribute with a couple of INTs for TDs) and he was bad enough to get cut the next season. Edwards was not even good enough to be active.

Yet, there is hope, Denney was so bad as to be inactive as a highly drafted rookie and he managed to learn the game well enough that he also started his second year and then unlike Edwards continued ti develop into a pretty valuble member of this team (and at a lower cost than Edwards actually).

There is still hope for Edwards and with Phat Pat gone he will get every chance to prove his point this year.