When did you start laughing at politicians?

Let's face it - in the 2016 election, you did not vote for a candidate that you liked. Instead, you thought the other candidate was an "idiot" (Hi DC Tom) and you voted for "your" candidate because you thought he/she was the lesser of two evils even though you had serious reservations about him/her.

That being said, was there a time when did you ever take politicians seriously and was there a defined point in time where you changed from seriousness to laughter?

I think I took Gerald Ford seriously.  But then I turned six...

Seriously, I think he was the last one, when I was six.  I knew Carter was a joke before my eighth birthday.  And I certainly laughed my ass of at Gary Hart's Czech airliner gaffe in '84.

Just now, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Let's face it - in the 2016 election, you did not vote for a candidate that you liked. Instead, you thought the other candidate was an "idiot" (Hi DC Tom) and you voted for "your" candidate because you thought he/she was the lesser of two evils even though you had serious reservations about him/her.

That being said, was there a time when did you ever take politicians seriously and was there a defined point in time where you changed from seriousness to laughter?

For me, there are some individual politicians I still take seriously.  I agree with some and disagree with others.  These are people that I read as believing in some set of principles and driving toward them.  I loathe the people driving at  principles I see as counter to our founding, but I take them seriously.

Cruz, Bernie, Warren, Gowdy and Paul fit this category along with very few others.

The vast vast majority are very clearly "in the game" to either advance themselves and/or to go around the rules to expedite their desires.

Flake, Harris, Schiff, Feinstein, Gillibrand, Clintons, Graham, McConnell and so many more.  Basically the swamp.

There are some "tweeners" that I think flip back and forth between principles and self serving sneakiness.

Schumer and Rubio jump to mind.

As an overal collage, the Washington scene can only be taken seriously because it impacts lives.  It is too big in scope and highly inefficient in practice.

3 hours ago, Albwan said:

George W, didn't dislike him, and wasn't very interested in politics,

but he used to crack me up.

You're too young to remember the magic of Dan Quayle, aren't you?  He lost an argument to a television character.  Hell, more than half the quotes attributed to Bush were actually uttered by Quayle.  Dan Quayle was the first time anyone referred to the Vice Presidency as "assassination insurance."  He was that epic.

3 hours ago, Albwan said:

George W, didn't dislike him, and wasn't very interested in politics,

but he used to crack me up.

Same here.

But Pelosi made me laugh at all the dumb crap she has said "we need to pass it to know whats in it" (I am sure there were prob more before this but this seems like the first to me) just brought it to the forefront of my mind, and now its like I see it everywhere.

38 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Same here.

But Pelosi made me laugh at all the dumb crap she has said "we need to pass it to know whats in it" (I am sure there were prob more before this but this seems like the first to me) just brought it to the forefront of my mind, and now its like I see it everywhere.

Replacing fossil fuels with natural gas is still my favorite.

• Haha (+1) 1