Reagan's faith in his own words

Pretty stunning find of a letter penned by Reagen to his dying father-in-law (Nancy's father). 

Something tugged at Ronald Reagan on that otherwise slow August weekend in 1982.

“Again at the W.H.,” the president noted in his diary. “More of Saturdays work plus a long letter I have to write to Loyal. I’m afraid for him. His health is failing badly.”

Loyal Davis, Reagan’s father-in-law and a pioneering neurosurgeon, was just days away from death. Something else worried Reagan: The dying man was, by most definitions of the word, an atheist.

“I have never been able to subscribe to the divinity of Jesus Christ nor his virgin birth. I don’t believe in his resurrection, or a heaven or hell as places,” Davis once wrote. “If we are remembered and discussed with pleasure and happiness after death, this is our heavenly reward.”

Reagan, on the other hand, believed everyone would face a day of judgment, and that Davis’s was near. So the most powerful man in the world put everything else aside, took pen in hand and set out on an urgent mission — to rescue one soul.

The entire letter can be seen in the article. A deep insight into the man's faith. 

Very interesting and touching. 

Today Christianity just seems to be in such crisis with the Catholic Church being roiled by sex abuse charges and Evangelicals blindly following an amoral child (Trump) for reasons that don't really make sense unless you follow the money. Is it any wonder that this generation is rejecting faith? 

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Very interesting and touching. 

Today Christianity just seems to be in such crisis with the Catholic Church being roiled by sex abuse charges and Evangelicals blindly following an amoral child (Trump) for reasons that don't really make sense unless you follow the money. Is it any wonder that this generation is rejecting faith? 

What?

Of course the Catholic Church is in crisis, but any notion that anybody is "blindly following Trump," is completely preposterous.