Beyond Blue and Red: Ryan Groy

26CornerBlitz

7 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

I always liked Groy. This one was heartbreaking. I'm rooting for him.  I hope Ducasse doesn't have any heartfelt stories because he needs to get cut.

I believe Ducasse has a heartfelt story, too.  I don't recall the exact nature of it, but I remember reading something about it in one of the first stories that detailed McDermott's player speeches.  I think Ducasse told about his upbringing and there was some sadness...

That being said, I wish they were both playing much better football.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 17years&waiting said:

I believe Ducasse has a heartfelt story, too.  I don't recall the exact nature of it, but I remember reading something about it in one of the first stories that detailed McDermott's player speeches.  I think Ducasse told about his upbringing and there was some sadness...

That being said, I wish they were both playing much better football.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/01/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-team-building-through-storytelling

"Vlad Ducasse’s talk during Week 10 was typical. The 6’5”, 329-pound guard is surprisingly soft-spoken, and he quietly began by introducing his teammates to his family, pointing out the pictures of his wife, son, mother and mother-in-law. He spoke about the challenge of immigrating from Haiti, acclimating to life in Stamford, Conn., and learning English at age 14. When Ducasse came to the picture of his mother-in-law, with whom he was very close, he abruptly shifted away from the crowd to face a wall. This was the hard part. He knew he might cry, and seeing the reaction of his teammates would only make him cry harder.

Ducasse took a deep breath and explained that one night during the 2015 season, while he was playing for the Bears, his mother-in-law called to catch up. He was exhausted from practice that day, so he told her he couldn’t talk and would call her first thing the next morning. “And then the next morning, we found out she passed,” Ducasse says.

When he and his wife went through her mom’s belongings, they found a text message she had drafted on her phone. I love you guys, it read. “She never got to send it,” Ducasse says. “She was sending the text, and the words were just there. So we just kept it like that.”

Ducasse’s point: Time is precious. Always take the opportunity to tell your loved ones what they mean to you."