September 11th Anniversary --Post Your Thoughts

Tiberius

38 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i missed all the TV coverage that day, on a long drive to visit a client for the first time, listened to Howard Stern all the way up as it happened (and the next day) which helped a lot.

still haven't watched any footage of the buildings, don't voluntarily plan to.

I had Howard Stern on as well, on my way to get my car washed.  I tuned on to hear them talking about a plane accidentally hitting the tower and as they spoke, I believe Robyn Quivers said "another plane just hit the tower" followed by Howard's declaration "We're under attack!". 

We lost some people in our extended circle.  A friend lost his childhood friend who we'd hung out with over the years, an employee at Cantor. Another friend lost their soon-to-be daughter-in-law.  We have close friends who live in a NJ town that lost many people.  And the other stories, the near misses--our neighbors own a liquor store and were on the train in for a wine tasting at the Trade center, and if I remember correctly the event was on the top floor, outside maybe? Got down as far as White Plains  when the attacks occurred. 

What a $#!@ing crazy time. 

44 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Me too -- by choice.  After getting the ***** out of Lower Manhattan, a buddy and I sat outside at a bar in Norwalk drinking and smoking for about 9 hours.

i would have sat there and stared at the TV screen in a stupor for a week if i started watching it

a friend was there for business that day, bribed a car out of a rental agency and got back to Toronto a few days later

he was shortly thereafter in Milan when another plane hit a building, but it wasn't serious, but for a few hours it was a concern for him...

read about the man, died recently, who survived both atomic blasts on Japan, i guess he thought "not again" on the second one.

18 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I had Howard Stern on as well, on my way to get my car washed.  I tuned on to hear them talking about a plane accidentally hitting the tower and as they spoke, I believe Robyn Quivers said "another plane just hit the tower" followed by Howard's declaration "We're under attack!". 

We lost some people in our extended circle.  A friend lost his childhood friend who we'd hung out with over the years, an employee at Cantor. Another friend lost their soon-to-be daughter-in-law.  We have close friends who live in a NJ town that lost many people.  And the other stories, the near misses--our neighbors own a liquor store and were on the train in for a wine tasting at the Trade center, and if I remember correctly the event was on the top floor, outside maybe? Got down as far as White Plains  when the attacks occurred. 

What a $#!@ing crazy time. 

Stern showing up on site with a live show the next day was a tonic for me as well

• Like (+1) 1

i knew a half dozen families in Toronto that took in Americans stranded at the airport until things got back to normal

i guess that proves Canadians aren't smart or to be trusted by the comments on here today.

(how ***** ignorant can one be?)

18 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i knew a half dozen families in Toronto that took in Americans stranded at the airport until things got back to normal

i guess that proves Canadians aren't smart or to be trusted by the comments on here today.

(how ***** ignorant can one be?)

How ***** sensitive can you be? Lighten up, I was just busting your "whatevers".

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Posted without comment. 

A cousin of mine was in the Pentagon when the plane hit (mildly hurt, but nothing serious). From what I understand, she is still struggling to deal with it mentally.

4 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I'd hoped you'd skip those.  Really not photos I feel particularly compelled to relive.

They remain the part of this event that still messes me up.

It's still impossible for me to imagine, for any measured amount of time, what those people were seeing that made jumping their best option. It had to be just horrifying.

I remember a documentary that was showing live footage from ground floor inside the buildings -- and you could hear these loud thuds outside the building. The person speaking noted that everyone was confused about what was making the noises until they looked outside and realized people were jumping.

Yet, today we're supposed to be okay with "some people did some things."

This country has really managed to schitt the bed in 18 short years. I suspect, in time, the left will change history textbooks to explain how Bush and Trump were flying the planes.

My September 11th memory is not my personal memory but I know an attorney who worked for one of the large brokerage firms. He tells me that Kristy Kreme donuts went public that morning. To honor the occasion they were giving away donuts in the lobby of the Trade Center. He went downstairs to get a donut when the plane hit the building...and he escaped! Donuts save lives.

• Like (+1) 1

I personally am more skeptical of the 9/11 "story" now more than I have been.  I don't buy that some dudes in some caves in Afghanistan pulled off such an elaborate operation without a good amount of state assistance nor do I believe it took the United States a decade to find bin Laden.    

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

I personally am more skeptical of the 9/11 "story" now more than I have been.  I don't buy that some dudes in some caves in Afghanistan pulled off such an elaborate operation without a good amount of state assistance nor do I believe it took the United States a decade to find bin Laden.    

And I was skeptical monkeys could type, but here you are...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

And I was skeptical monkeys could type, but here you are...

...the gorilla from the thrillah in Manila.............

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

...certainly sounds like chemo and radiation did NOT work....how sad..........

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...the gorilla from the thrillah in Manila.............

I immediately winced at that...........................................Then I remembered Muhammed Ali said it........................So it's okay...?

Tom was right I think, I removed the Jumpers pictures.

Let's concentrate on the heroes 

Image result for 9/11 photos

.Image result for 9/11 photos..............18sept11gallery.jpg

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I immediately winced at that...........................................Then I remembered Muhammed Ali said it........................So it's okay...?

Tom was right I think, I removed the Jumpers pictures.

Let's concentrate on the heroes 

Image result for 9/11 photos

.Image result for 9/11 photos..............18sept11gallery.jpg

...ABSOLUTELY no racial overtones meant or implied.....it was meant to highlight Ali's superiority over his opponent (Smokin' Joe) much the same as Kamala highlights HER superiority over HER opponents (other Dems)...no harm...no foul here.....just the superiority inference.....

14 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...ABSOLUTELY no racial overtones meant or implied.....it was meant to highlight Ali's superiority over his opponent (Smokin' Joe) much the same as Kamala highlights HER superiority over HER opponents (other Dems)...no harm...no foul here.....just the superiority inference.....

So true, Trump is so colorblind he actually invited the Taliban to Camp David!