Picked up my new glasses today

RochesterRob

Taking a little getting used to.  I made a stop at Wegman's before heading home.  A can of Campbell's soup in size looked like a little 6 oz can of tomato paste.  The cash I paid at the checkout looked like Classic Monopoly money in size.  Peripheral vision and reading at a distance are fine.  It's been a couple of hours now so my eyes are adjusting.  Right now I don't know about switching off between my old glasses for being outside and wearing the new glasses inside which was the original plan.  Looks like the new ones are on pretty much all the waking hours for now.

16 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Taking a little getting used to.  I made a stop at Wegman's before heading home.  A can of Campbell's soup in size looked like a little 6 oz can of tomato paste.  The cash I paid at the checkout looked like Classic Monopoly money in size.  Peripheral vision and reading at a distance are fine.  It's been a couple of hours now so my eyes are adjusting.  Right now I don't know about switching off between my old glasses for being outside and wearing the new glasses inside which was the original plan.  Looks like the new ones are on pretty much all the waking hours for now.

Keep your vehicle in your driveway until you feel 100 % adjusted to your new lenses.Remember....schools are back in session.

• Like (+1) 1

I couldn't deal with progressive lenses.  When I complained about not being able to see clearly outside of the 'hour glass' zone, they told me I needed to learn to 'point my nose' at whatever I wanted to look at.  With my 3 monitor display at work this turned me into some sort of awkward bird, constantly moving my head back and forth.  I bailed out and went back to single-focus lenses, but reading is difficult and I have to either move these glasses towards the end of my nose or take them off entirely (I'm myopic).  It sucks getting old and this fact is getting more evident every day...

Years of reading this board on small phone has helped. ? I have perfect 20/20 vision up close.  Distance I need glasses. Not super strong, Coke bottles or anything...  But still blind as a bat with -2.75.  Why get bifocals, I just take them off for up close thing.

Sports, I can see.  I wear contacts for stuff like skiing... Major hassle when looking at things close on lift.  Probably should get multifocal contacts?

54 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I couldn't deal with progressive lenses.  When I complained about not being able to see clearly outside of the 'hour glass' zone, they told me I needed to learn to 'point my nose' at whatever I wanted to look at.  With my 3 monitor display at work this turned me into some sort of awkward bird, constantly moving my head back and forth.  I bailed out and went back to single-focus lenses, but reading is difficult and I have to either move these glasses towards the end of my nose or take them off entirely (I'm myopic).  It sucks getting old and this fact is getting more evident every day...

Strange.  I am 50.  Wore corrective lens whole life, but vision is perfect up close, getting better... As I hammer away on my Galaxy 6 without anything... Gotta take them off.  I read/type at arm's length... Same with desktop @ work.

I don't like the concept of progressive lenses either.  Seems like work, and I don't want to have to work to see.

I think the best solution is to get 2 pairs, with different prescriptions for close and far away viewing.

I did that recently, but the prescription makes it difficult to read at a comfortable distance.  I basically need to push things away from me to get them into focus, and it's too far for many things.  

So I need to get that adjusted.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I don't like the concept of progressive lenses either.  Seems like work, and I don't want to have to work to see.

I think the best solution is to get 2 pairs, with different prescriptions for close and far away viewing.

I did that recently, but the prescription makes it difficult to read at a comfortable distance.  I basically need to push things away from me to get them into focus, and it's too far for many things.  

But what do you do when you want to text, read what The Dow Jones is doing from the ski lift?  I know the answer, just don't!  ?

36 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

went laser when my time for bi-focals arrived.

no regrets after 8 years

I’m on my third pair of progressive lenses. The first and third pairs were great. The second pair was not quite right. I think the lenses were too small and there was no sweet spot for distance or reading. 

Whenever I get new glasses I make note of things in my peripheral vision that look curved even though I know they aren’t. After a couple days my brain adjusts and things look normal again. 

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

When I was first prescribed bifocals, I went with progressive lenses. The glasses were kind of small (because that's how I liked my distance glasses) and I had the same problem most of you are describing. So I returned them and decided to just keep using my distance glasses and buy a pair of prescription reading glasses. (My eyes are different prescriptions, so off-the-shelf reading glasses don't work.) I found it to be a hassle swapping glasses all the time, so I decided to try another pair of progressive lenses. This time I went with a larger lens - circular - and that made a huge difference.

And I also hate tilting my head depending on what I'm looking at, so instead, I slide the glasses up a bit for reading, down low for distance, and mid-range for computer work. The progressive nature of the lenses gives me sort of a trifocal effect without actually buying trifocals. That's good, because neither distance glasses nor reading glasses work well when I'm on the computer, which is most of the day.