For the 2018 Bills, Mack = Mario

george c

20 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

So it wasn't a fall-off in his production due to age?

Fascinating, tell me more.

Mario was a splashy signing, meant to put asses in seats. But was his signing enough to take us to the promised land?

I've noticed that you don't get along with anyone from New Jersey. 

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, fridge said:

Remember when Mario Williams, the absolute bum who everyone thinks was terrible, recorded 13 sacks one season and followed it up with 14.5 sacks the next?

But that’s kinda the point.

Even with all those sacks, the Bills still sucked.

I agree With the OP.

Mack most likely would have been very productive here, but the bills are so far away.

In my opinion it would have irresponsible to give 2 potential top 10 picks away for a pass rusher who just broke the bank

Even Jerry Hughes best years as a Bill were with Mario on the other side.

I disagree with the OP,  Mario could hold Mack's jock. heck they could hold each others

I do agree that this team had no business actually trying to commit so much resources to Mack.. This team is not a Mack away from SB victory

Edited by ddaryl

32 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

So it wasn't a fall-off in his production due to age?

Fascinating, tell me more.

Mario was a splashy signing, meant to put asses in seats. But was his signing enough to take us to the promised land?

It would have if Marrone and Schwartz had stuck around. 

1 hour ago, George C said:

I applaud McBeane for not doing a Russ Brandon here. 

Yeah, Mack is probably the best defensive player on the market, if not in the NFL. And no Mario couldn’t hold Mack’s jock.

As the 2018 Bills sit, the objective is to get better as a whole, and not buy a super expensive part that would put people in the seats and raise expectations, but won’t make a difference in the process. The timing is all wrong, and the rest of the team simply doesn’t have enough talent to win the division, let alone a championship. If we did amass some offensive talent to go with Mack, it will be towards the end of his deal. If we didn’t suffer through the Whaley/Nix years and their cap baggage, we may have had more necessary parts that may made the Mack signing something that would have made more sense now.

Right now, it just doesn’t, and it should make all of us feel confident in where we are going. I am sure they made an offer that made sense towards the process, but nowhere near as irresponsible as what used to go on at OBD, and nowhere near as money/draft killing capital as the Bears.

Mack won't make a difference? 

10 minutes ago, nucci said:

Mack won't make a difference? 

Big picture folks...

Does Mack play left guard? Center? Right Guard? Maybe right tackle? ? Maybe Reciever? Maybe clone himself and play as two receivers? Possibly quarterback?

We suck on offense, we won’t be able to score large amount of points, and hopefully we can keep Peterman from getting killed. 

Mack, with all of his great ability makes no difference in 2018, and probably little difference in 2019. Probably a big difference by 2020 with two more McBeane drafts, but those two years of now and tomorrow, he makes NO difference in our overall team record. . 

So many holes.. one player, and his huge cap hit is just two years too soon. Let’s let the draft play out next year. 

Edited by George C

1 minute ago, George C said:

Big picture folks...

Does Mack play left guard? Center? Right Guard? Maybe right tackle? ? Maybe Reciever? Maybe clone himself and play as two receivers? Possibly quarterback?

We suck on offense, we won’t be able to score large amount of points, and hopefully we can keep Peterman from getting killed. 

Mack, with all of his great ability makes no difference in 2018, and probably little difference in 2019. Probably a big difference by 2020, but those two years of now and tomorrow, he makes NO difference in our overall team record. . 

He plays defense...one of the best in the game....you don't wait til you're good to get great players...you get great players to make your team good....

1 minute ago, nucci said:

He plays defense...one of the best in the game....you don't wait til you're good to get great players...you get great players to make your team good....

For years, the NFL is littered with single great defensive players with huge FA contracts on bad teams that consistently go 6-10. Just look at the Bills for reference. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, George C said:

For years, the NFL is littered with single great defensive players with huge FA contracts on bad teams that consistently go 6-10. Just look at the Bills for reference. 

George C understands reality. People need to be more like George C.

GOOD ON YA GEORGE C

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

But you don't eat up 1/4 to 1/3 of your salary cap on 1 great player when you have a team full of holes either

which is why good teams wait and then add that 1 difference maker to put them over the top. 

Bills are not in that position... yet

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

But you don't eat up 1/4 to 1/3 of your salary cap on 1 great player when you have a team full of holes either

which is why good teams wait and then add that 1 difference maker to put them over the top. 

This guy gets it.

6 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Bingo!

Right on the button. 

But...I remember Mario a lot different than you. I remember an underachiever who took plays off.. I remember a guy manhandled signally by a rookie Jets guard. I remember a guy with only a handful of good games. I remember a Texans team more than sick of his work ethic. I remember a J.J. Watt scoffing at the loss of Williams. I remember countless posts and columns on what a bust of a signing he was. I don’t ever remember hearing a single negative post or column about Mack..

Edited by George C

5 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

You add difference makers when you can get them. Great players dont become available every day. Waiting until your good to get great players is what keeps you stuck in mediocrity forever.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

You add difference makers when you can get them. Great players dont become available every day. Waiting until your good to get great players is what keeps you stuck in mediocrity forever.

disagree.. you can not eat up salary cap space on a team not ready for prime time

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Spending money unwisely so you can't take advantage of good players coming available is what keeps you in mediocrity. Captain Refrigerator's contract was a big part of the reason why the offense couldn't be improved.

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

Do you remember the Legion of Doom? 

Built entirely through the draft.

You draft, develop and play them out on a rookie deal which allows you to spread finances around and build a team. I believe we call it “the Process” here in Buffalo.  

Signing big contracts to a bad team is the sign of a GM who has no other answers and no clue about building a winner.